Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,344,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Boy that brings back memories, only my date was my mom and siblings I remember playing outside until the movie started and a huge treat for us was something, anything from the snack bar. You know, that was really a fun time then sitting in the car watching a movie on a huge screen with the speaker hanging from the window. How time flies and things change.

You still can. As referenced in my post below, there are two nearly local drive-in theaters in operation. One only 15 to 20 minute drive from anywhere in Salem. The Dallas Drive-In has first run current shows, two a night. The first aimed at kids and youth, and the second feature is generally adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I am retired. Have been since 2000. At 66 I find a lot to do in Salem and the Salem area. I live just outside town in the community of Dallas fifteen minutes away. Salem is a little known federal food price test site, and that keeps food prices level. One of the great things about Salem is the State Fair. Traffic is easy to navigate except for maybe Lancaster or River Road through Keiser, and Commercial. If people would learn other routes home at rush hour, the shopping districts would not be so overwhelmed, but creatures of habit don't change. There are several venues with good performances in Salem. The good thing is with all the government jobs the employment base is pretty stable. There is something for everyone. World championship Bridge comes to mind. Sightseeing abounds, The Oregon Gardens, Lots of restaurants in all flavors and price range. Plenty of bars, and music venues around town. Short distance to the coast. The Cascades are practically a foothill to Salem with hunting fishing, camping, biking, and hiking everywhere. There is rock hounding and Gold Prospecting in all directions. There is a pro baseball team playing short season. Chess and bowling are well represented. A low cost first run drive in is close by and another within an hour.There are several theaters with top shows. And the bestfireworks show in the state is at Independence just across the river. You alsohave a ton of river recreation all along the city’s west side, and parks areeverywhere. The list goes on, but you get the picture. If you get bored in Salem it may be you, not Salem.

Join me for some World Series of Poker Qualification. Doesn't cost you anything and it is fun. www.goallinoregon.com. There is also several world class rodeos near by and in Salem. And the Motorcycle riding in all directions is great. Plenty of churches too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,299 times
There is a decent theater group halfway to Dallas called the Pentacle Theater. It was built about 50 years ago, and puts on some good shows. Salem refurbished the downtown Elsinore Theater for stage shows about 25 years ago, but there is no real performance center like the Hult in Eugene or the Schnitz in Portland.[/quote]

In the early 60's my dad would take to the Elsinore Theater to watch wrestling..growing up in Salem during the 60's was nice, a good Catholic School the old smoke shop and the pool hall across the tracks always kept us kids out of trouble...plus picking cherries across the river during the summer..damn, now I'm home sick

Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM

16 posts, read 40,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There's nothing wrong with Salem. There is great shopping and the hospital is excellent.

It's right on the river, for floating and fishing. It is an easy day trip to the coast or for skiing. It's an easy drive into Portland if you want to go to the theater or night clubbing.

The weather is fine and the surrounding area in beautiful. Mountain hiking and boating are very close.

There is not a lot of night life. There are few neighborhoods that look low income (cheap), but I don't think they are particularly dangerous. Many neighborhoods have lovely big trees.

There can be a lot of traffic, but roads are well organized and it a very easy town to learn the road system.

It's not the place for people who want to party, party, party, but it is fine for people who want to hike, or ski, or fish.
You say it is a day trip to the coast. How far are you from the coast? I like the idea of the ocean - would not like to be an hour away.

Thank you

Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
It takes about an hour to get to Lincoln City from Salem.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziee View Post
You say it is a day trip to the coast. How far are you from the coast? I like the idea of the ocean - would not like to be an hour away.

Thank you
I am about an three quarters of an hour, but Oregon Wood Smoke is a little farther.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Default Elsinore Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot_Wa View Post
There is a decent theater group halfway to Dallas called the Pentacle Theater. It was built about 50 years ago, and puts on some good shows. Salem refurbished the downtown Elsinore Theater for stage shows about 25 years ago, but there is no real performance center like the Hult in Eugene or the Schnitz in Portland.

In the early 60's my dad would take to the Elsinore Theater to watch wrestling..growing up in Salem during the 60's was nice, a good Catholic School the old smoke shop and the pool hall across the tracks always kept us kids out of trouble...plus picking cherries across the river during the summer..damn, now I'm home sick[/quote]

I do so love old theaters....many downtown areas are beginning to refurbish their theaters...realizing that there is a wide appeal - especially for baby boomers. We do remember the good old days. Thanks for your comment.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You still can. As referenced in my post below, there are two nearly local drive-in theaters in operation. One only 15 to 20 minute drive from anywhere in Salem. The Dallas Drive-In has first run current shows, two a night. The first aimed at kids and youth, and the second feature is generally adult.
Wow. A drive-in theater! I remember sitting in the back of the car with my 6 siblings and trying to get the speaker to work without the "scratchy" sound so that we all could hear the movie. Having a large bag of popcorn to share was a big treat!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 AM

9 posts, read 14,530 times
Default dallas/cottage grove

who can tell me about rentals for pensioners in Dallas OREGON or Cottage Grove? Info seems to be very sparse for these two neighborhoods. Thanks - -

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziee View Post
Wow. A drive-in theater! I remember sitting in the back of the car with my 6 siblings and trying to get the speaker to work without the "scratchy" sound so that we all could hear the movie. Having a large bag of popcorn to share was a big treat!
They use the car radio now. In STEREO.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbilly View Post
who can tell me about rentals for pensioners in Dallas OREGON or Cottage Grove? Info seems to be very sparse for these two neighborhoods. Thanks - -
Yes there are several. You really need to be here. Try the Itemizer Observer Classifieds or Senior and Disabled in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem