Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City is beautiful! I like to think that SLC is more of a hidden gem than an ignored or forgotten city. I have lived in several states, including Utah and one of the greatest things about the downtown area of SLC is the big, wide streets. I wish every big city had them. Genius! I can also appreciate the lovely buildings and architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
I think of SLC as having some really great architectural examples from the 19th century. Whereas many larger cities have demolished most of their "roots" buildings/homes from earlier times (and replaced them with faceless, hideous, monolithic cubes deemed "international style"), SLC has retained quite a lot of it's more creative architectural past in the downtown area. The same applies to some of the smaller towns around here--Manti comes to mind with it's absolutely wonderful main street refurbishing of both simple pioneer dwellings (hewn log in one case!) and beautiful Victorian/Gothic/Queen Anne style homes.

As for the mormon thing (again. ): diversity is a celebrated part of our modern, enlightened world and a huge buzz word these days isn't it? ... unless you happen to be mormon. Then diversity is not okay anymore. Is that the way it works?

Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM

498 posts, read 1,456,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria2388 View Post
Well, Lamborgotti, count the number to "two," at least.

I "ignore" SLC because I immediately equate it with Mormonism and thus, mark it as a "no" on my list of potential destinations. It's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of SLC. I think I'm in the majority to be honest.

For better or worse.
Two people that don't understand this thread? I already know that people think that way, I have a brain.

As far as I can tell, the OP isn't asking why people don't want to live here. He's asking why Salt Lake never gets much attention from the media and books as a cultural, urban, and architectural hub. The fact that there are a lot of mormons doesn't make those characteristics irrelevant, unless media outlets and authors just want to pretend Utah doesn't exist because they want to ignore mormons.. I think that's a stretch.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 AM

42 posts, read 137,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Two people that don't understand this thread? I already know that people think that way, I have a brain.
I understood the thread fine. No need to be picking E-fights and being rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
As far as I can tell, the OP isn't asking why people don't want to live here. He's asking why Salt Lake never gets much attention from the media and books as a cultural, urban, and architectural hub. The fact that there are a lot of mormons doesn't make those characteristics irrelevant, unless media outlets and authors just want to pretend Utah doesn't exist because they want to ignore mormons.. I think that's a stretch.
Because, in the opinion of the vast majority, it isn't any of those things..

The predominant reason for that is Mormonism and it's subsequent conservative culture en masse (again, in the opinion of many, in my experience). If you disagree with that, OK. He asked for opinions. That's mine, based on my life experience in talking with people about SLC.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Utah may not get a lot of attention for its architecture, but it certainly DOES get attention in other regards. That religious/conservative base must not be so evil as it's cracked up to be; people (more non-mormons than mormons) are moving in here like ants to honey. Something must be appealing. My area has grown over 500% since I moved here. I think the "Utah Stereotype" is a lot of hooey perpetuated by folks who think they have some reason to denigrate mormons or more generally religion. But that's another topic...

Old 04-17-2011, 01:10 PM

13 posts, read 35,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Utah may not get a lot of attention for its architecture, but it certainly DOES get attention in other regards. That religious/conservative base must not be so evil as it's cracked up to be; people (more non-mormons than mormons) are moving in here like ants to honey. Something must be appealing. My area has grown over 500% since I moved here.
Probably religious/conservative people who are tired of people socializing around them and making friends and going out to do things together Saturday night on the city strip.

Some people hate that sort of thing.

Not me. I've been living in Utah since January for school, and I just can't wait to be done with it. The cold quiet is driving me insane. I just want to go back to the beach. I think a lot of people share a similar opinion and therefore Utah gets ignored for almost everything even when it does have something to contribute because it's so much less stressful(or just easier and more practical) to focus on cities like Boston, New York, New Orleans, and other cities that have real culture and history that has to do with what this country is about. Utah feels more like a United States territory that houses parts of the population that don't want anything to do with other people than an actual part of the country.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTimelessXx View Post
I've been living in Utah since January for school, and I just can't wait to be done with it. The cold quiet is driving me insane.
I can understand that. Things liven up a bit more when the warm weather hits.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 PM

13 posts, read 35,212 times
Yeah. I don't expect it to be like West Palm Beach, FL(where I grew up), but it seems that everyone just sticks to themselves.

The UTA buses are so quiet. On the Palm Tran buses in West Palm Beach, people just start up random conversations about whatever and you make friends without even trying. It's so lonely out here. I do hope it changes with the weather.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
I know *I* hate the winter and hole myself up inside. Once the weather turns warm, so does my demeanor!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTimelessXx View Post
Probably religious/conservative people who are tired of people socializing around them and making friends and going out to do things together Saturday night on the city strip.

Some people hate that sort of thing.

Not me. I've been living in Utah since January for school, and I just can't wait to be done with it. The cold quiet is driving me insane. I just want to go back to the beach. I think a lot of people share a similar opinion and therefore Utah gets ignored for almost everything even when it does have something to contribute because it's so much less stressful(or just easier and more practical) to focus on cities like Boston, New York, New Orleans, and other cities that have real culture and history that has to do with what this country is about. Utah feels more like a United States territory that houses parts of the population that don't want anything to do with other people than an actual part of the country.
Interesting perspective. I'm just the opposite. Utah is not "quiet" enough for me. And it's getting more loud and obnoxious year by year. It's a constant stressful distraction around here for me... thus my planned move to North Dakota. Hopefully it will be "quiet" enough for me there.

I'm not going to slam you for your opinion, though. We all have the right to them and we are all different in our tastes and life "requirements." I'm the type that would shout hallelujah at the top of my lungs if I were able to live 50 miles from nowhere in an isolated little house on the prairie! I want a winter bird singing outside my frost-etched windowpane in the morning to be the only distraction I have to deal with all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area