Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM

18 posts, read 180,334 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My Dh has a couple of good job prospects in North Salt Lake and we are trying to decide where we'd live if we moved there. We don't know the area very well at all so any suggestions are appreciated. We'd like to live somewhere within a 15 min commute of N. Salt Lake. What we are looking for is:

1. A neighborhood with a lot of young familes with kids....we live in the SF Bay Area now, and we have 4-year-old twin boys and a baby on the way. Our current neighborhood seriously has almost NO other children, so we never see other kids out and about and my boys have no neighbors to play with. We think it would be pretty nice to move to an area with a lot of young kids.

2. An area where a lot of new people (ie: out-of-staters) are moving in to. We are LDS, but we have no family in Utah, or any friends in the SLC area, so we will be starting from scratch as far as making friends and developing a social network. Finding an area where lots of people are also "new" would be nice, since those people would be looking for new friends as well.

3. Park. This one isn't as important, but my boys love being outside so an area with some nice park would be great.

Any suggestions? Thanks so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,736,475 times
Well I went to a wedding reception on the North Salt Lake Bench about a month ago. There were some fantastic homes and views up there. I picked up one brochure at a for sale home just because I was curious. Be prepared to buy new brakes every 6 months or so though, because the hills were that steep. It was about $500,000 for a 3000 sq foot rambler. You have Bountiful, and Salt Lake City itself in easy driving distance. Should you want the convenience of living on the flatlands, there are towns like Centerville and parts of Bountiful that are lower down and cheaper land to boot. I would caution about the commute on I-15. Anywhere from the north of Salt Lake will get really backed up by North Salt Lake, so you might want to consider a reverse commute. Buying in the Salt Lake Valley and going up the freeway.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,979,581 times
There is a pretty nice subdivision going up in North Salt Lake. It is called Foxboro and is just off Redwood Road. They have a new elementary school, tons of parks, a new LDS church and lots of younger families with children. Depending on where your husband will be working in NSL, the commute shouldn't be much of a problem. It is located right off I215 & I15.

Woodside Homes - Simply the Best...by Design. New Homes in UT

Welcome to Utah!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,405 times
I don't know much about Utah, but it is the most beautiful country I have ever been in. On vacation at Deer Valley last week. Wonderful!!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 PM

13 posts, read 102,379 times
I can't offer anything within 15 min. because everything around N.SL has been there for eons. Most of the young people seem to be flockign to the new communities, which are:

Herriman: 33 miles SW of Salt Lake. Takes my dh 25-35 min NOT during rush hour

Syracuse: about 35-40? min North of SL

Those are the 2 newest areas that are already established (with stores, malls, parks, and finished lawns) and a kazillion little kids. Not to say that there aren't kids in other areas, because Utah is just packed with kids everywhere you go (except the Avenues...I believe that is an older area).

My personal choice (if he can stand the commute) would be herriman. We have community parks every 2 blocks, 2 water "splash pads" that the kids LOVE, and we have just enough of the restraunts, super markets (Smiths, Walmart, Albertsons, etc...) and Home Depot, Lowes, etc. All within about 10 min of the house. The city also does TONS of family-oriented activities at the local parks (easter egg hunts, dutch oven cook-offs, festivals with rids on the 24th of July, drive in movies at the parks, pumpkin carving contests, etc...). The area is geared exclusively for young families with young kids. It's very nice and everything is new, clean, quite, and you see women pushing strollers every morning. Housing is between $250,000 and $400,000, and most people have a min of 1/4 acre.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:54 PM

111 posts, read 626,555 times
Hi TwinBoys...

We are building a home in NSL - in the Eaglewood area - up the hill - by the golf course. We currently rent in Bountiful as our home is being constructed but we absolutely LOVE the Eaglewood area. The homes up there (and the views) are amazing and you can find quite a range in price from about $600,000 for 4000sf all the way up into the multi-millions. Adjacent to Eaglewood is Summerwood which is actually in Bountiful but also up the hill and has some gorgeous homes on cul-de-sacs filled with kids.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:39 PM

18 posts, read 180,334 times
Sorry it took me so long to reply but thanks for the info!! I am looking into all of your suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area