Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times

Advertisements

You are most welcome!

Utah has some other really nice areas to live, too if Daybreak really isn't what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 15,877 times
Thumbs up Daybreak Information

Some of the posts on this topic are really informative. I happen to live in daybreak too and I love it. Especially the new urbanism concept. I write a blog about the community called Daybreak Today at daybreaktoday.blogspot.com - It discusses various topics about the community, kennecott, and new urbanism. Hope you find it informative.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 44,330 times
Default We are following you out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerriinn View Post
Hi all,

I'm moving to South Jordan in 2 weeks - we'll be living in Daybreak. What's the general consensus on this city/area/neighborhood? I know Daybreak is newer so I haven't been able to find out a lot about it online. What type of restaurants are nearby? Is it pretty family friendly? Is it considered "way out there" because it's on the south west end of the valley? What's traffic like? I'm a stay-at-home-mom with an 11 month old son - am I going to fit in there?

This move has come about very fast for us so I had little to no input on where we lived -- my husband moved up there a few weeks ago and found us a place to live really quickly. I'm freaking out now because I have no idea what to expect and I'm afraid I'm going to hate it - we're coming from Southern California and so I'm used to the more fast-paced, lots of shopping, lots to do type lifestyle.

Thanks for any info and your help!

So we are from San Diego and are coming in June or July. I really wonder about my son who is 13, being accepted as we do not belong to LDS.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM

546 posts, read 2,204,495 times
Could anyone share their average cost for the AC and heater all year long for their house per month at Daybreak? I'm looking for a number for a house roughly 2000-2500 sq. foot with 3-4 bedrooms. I'm planning on moving to Utah from Hawaii and would like to know the common monthly cost on these utilities. Also, do you need to turn on the heater and AC all year long for real? thanks for sharing.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:04 AM

273 posts, read 1,247,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
Could anyone share their average cost for the AC and heater all year long for their house per month at Daybreak? I'm looking for a number for a house roughly 2000-2500 sq. foot with 3-4 bedrooms. I'm planning on moving to Utah from Hawaii and would like to know the common monthly cost on these utilities. Also, do you need to turn on the heater and AC all year long for real? thanks for sharing.

You won't need AC in the winter. And you definitely won't need heat in the summer. There is plenty of that naturally. Expect your highest utility bill to be less than $200 with that size of house. Spring and fall you will go several weeks without using either.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibbet18 View Post
So we are from San Diego and are coming in June or July. I really wonder about my son who is 13, being accepted as we do not belong to LDS.
I can't really speak for your 13 year old, but our elementary aged kids love it in Daybreak. There have been no LDS / non-LDS issues. We have about an equal split of both and all the kids get along fine. Daybreak residents are a different breed maybe. You don't move here with an elitist attitude. Daybreak promotes very good relations amongst the neighbors.

That said, in junior high is when LDS seminary classes start. EVERY junior and senior high school in Utah has an LDS seminary next door and the LDS kids are excused DURING SCHOOL HOURS to attend seminary. I have heard it is at this time that the LDS / non attitude starts to develop. It is at this time that it becomes obvious who is NOT A MEMBER. But at least the number of students staying behind and not attending seminary is on the rise. It is said that Salt Lake County is only 50% LDS. That would hold true for Daybreak in my estimation. But South Jordan and Riverton are highly LDS and at this time there is no Daybreak junior high so your kid will be attending school out of the neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:37 AM

Default San Diegan in Utah!

[quote=single mom utah;2804767]Hello,
I am also from Southern California. I moved to Utah a few years ago, since I wanted to raise my children in safer neighborhoods and better schools plus the cost of living in San Diego was too much for us.

Hi there! My family is moving to Utah in June and we are looking at the Daybreak, South Jordan, Salt Lake area and your post was very helpful. My husband and I were both raised in San Diego and then, almost 5 years ago, we moved to San Jose, CA. A new career opportunity has come and it is on to Utah. We figure as long as we are NOT returning home to San Diego, we can open our lives to new experiences so we said "yes" to the job in Salt Lake. Our son is now excited about the move--he is sad to leave his community although he did move once before when we moved to San Jose but I am hearing you on the safer schools and better neighborhoods. We simply cannot purchase a home here and the cost of living is ridiculous.

Wishing you all the best in your transition too. This stuff is very difficult to go through and starting fresh with a positive attitude can be challenging but do-able.

Thanks!
Zibbet18

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 AM

You know, people are very strange. The owner of the property probably wanted someone in quickly and didn't do sufficient screening. The housing crisis has some people, especially former speculators in the real estate market, holding the bag so to speak on their properties and they have no appropriate residents. Many people thought they would flip houses for profit and utlimately greed and ooops....what goes up must come down and you get a bad neighbor. Or no neighbor when the bank forecloses. Other than that renter, is the street a good one?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 AM

21 posts, read 80,065 times
My fiance and I just bought in Daybreak, and should be moving in around June/July. We just moved to Salt Lake in January from the Baltimore, Maryland area. We know NO ONE. How is it meeting people/neighbors, and making friends?
Any other new relocated couples from the east? I hate to sound like an AD from the personals, but it's just tough making friends when you don't know anyone. How are all the other relocated couples/families adjusting?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoombs View Post
My fiance and I just bought in Daybreak, and should be moving in around June/July. We just moved to Salt Lake in January from the Baltimore, Maryland area. We know NO ONE. How is it meeting people/neighbors, and making friends?
Any other new relocated couples from the east? I hate to sound like an AD from the personals, but it's just tough making friends when you don't know anyone. How are all the other relocated couples/families adjusting?
Welcome to Daybreak! If your experience is like ours, you will have no trouble finding and making friends. The design of the community and all of the activities provide lots of opportunities to meet others. I suggest getting involved in a club (there is a wine club that is very popular), using the community center gym and taking exercise classes there, utilizing the trails, etc. to take a lot of walks, and attending the community events. You will be amazed how many people will stop and talk to you. Luckily for you, you will still have several months to get out before the winter weather drives everyone inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area