Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmeg29 View Post
Well I dont live there anymore, but you are welcome. I married and moved out of Utah, and to be honest, Daybreak didn;t end up being as good as it started out. As soon as neighbors found out I was single, divorced and had kids at home, they became very distant and wouldnt allow my kids to babysit/visit, etc. I actually had a neighbor say "We cant have your daughter babysit for us because she just doesnt hold the same morals." I was shocked, and finally just asked her if the morals she was looking for were the same ones her husband had, who threw playboy magazines into his trash every Wednesday that fell out for the neighborhood kids to see as we were walking by? Unreal. If you are Mormon, Dayrbreak is excellent. If you are Catholic, they will tolerate you. If you are any other (or no) religion, be prepared. Very hyprocritical community, and honestly, you can find a better home for the same money as the over priced community of Daybreak. I am so disappointed with our experience there. Loving Texas though!! I never realized how standoffish people were in Utah until I moved away- I have neighbors who speak and are GREAT- all the people here are. I am appalled at our overall experience there. Glad we have moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's just silly. You can't define whether you love or hate an entire state simply by the few neighbors you regularly interact with. That's like saying person A is the greatest person in the world... have you really met all 6 Billion other people in the world to make that statement?

While it's true that your closest neighbors will often dictate whether you love or hate where you live, to generalize entire states based on that is crazy. I lived in 4 places in NJ, I never knew my neighbors in any of those 4 places. I lived in a house for 5 years and didn't know the name of the neighbor beside me. The lady across the street died and her house was vacant for over 10 months before we found out she was gone. THAT is standoffish.

In Utah, I too live in South Jordan. Within a week of moving into our house we received cookies from 4 different sets of neighbors and had at least 3 other neighbors stop by to introduce themselves. We aren't best friends, maybe never will be... but we talk when we bump into each other in the driveway, we wave as we pass in cars, we stop at the mailbox together. I am in no way Mormon, I'm not all that religious at all, and frankly, the conversation has never come up.

You didn't like your neighbors... we get it... maybe you even had great reasons... but to classify an entire neighbor, city, or state based on that experience is just plain ignorant and rude. I won't speak for all of Utah like you did... but I know I personally am not standoffish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
That's just silly. You can't define whether you love or hate an entire state simply by the few neighbors you regularly interact with. That's like saying person A is the greatest person in the world... have you really met all 6 Billion other people in the world to make that statement?

While it's true that your closest neighbors will often dictate whether you love or hate where you live, to generalize entire states based on that is crazy. I lived in 4 places in NJ, I never knew my neighbors in any of those 4 places. I lived in a house for 5 years and didn't know the name of the neighbor beside me. The lady across the street died and her house was vacant for over 10 months before we found out she was gone. THAT is standoffish.

In Utah, I too live in South Jordan. Within a week of moving into our house we received cookies from 4 different sets of neighbors and had at least 3 other neighbors stop by to introduce themselves. We aren't best friends, maybe never will be... but we talk when we bump into each other in the driveway, we wave as we pass in cars, we stop at the mailbox together. I am in no way Mormon, I'm not all that religious at all, and frankly, the conversation has never come up.

You didn't like your neighbors... we get it... maybe you even had great reasons... but to classify an entire neighbor, city, or state based on that experience is just plain ignorant and rude. I won't speak for all of Utah like you did... but I know I personally am not standoffish!
*standing ovation*

Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
double ditto,,,,

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmeg29 View Post
Well I dont live there anymore, but you are welcome. I married and moved out of Utah, and to be honest, Daybreak didn;t end up being as good as it started out. As soon as neighbors found out I was single, divorced and had kids at home, they became very distant and wouldnt allow my kids to babysit/visit, etc. I actually had a neighbor say "We cant have your daughter babysit for us because she just doesnt hold the same morals." I was shocked, and finally just asked her if the morals she was looking for were the same ones her husband had, who threw playboy magazines into his trash every Wednesday that fell out for the neighborhood kids to see as we were walking by? Unreal. If you are Mormon, Dayrbreak is excellent. If you are Catholic, they will tolerate you. If you are any other (or no) religion, be prepared. Very hyprocritical community, and honestly, you can find a better home for the same money as the over priced community of Daybreak. I am so disappointed with our experience there. Loving Texas though!! I never realized how standoffish people were in Utah until I moved away- I have neighbors who speak and are GREAT- all the people here are. I am appalled at our overall experience there. Glad we have moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post

Nemmart summed it up very well for me KATZ, judging the 5,000 or so people in Daybreak by a couple families makes me really wish I could here the other side of story. Based on my study of humans, I am sure there is more to it. Usually intolerance is a two way street.

We had an LDS friend tell us to use whiskey for a tooth ache on our kid, I doubt that means they all promote whiskey.

My experience is the complete opposite of meg.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Besides, isn't there a quote by Forrest Gump...

Standoffish is as standoffish does...or something like that lol

Old 05-19-2011, 06:13 PM

249 posts, read 650,316 times
So I am wondering does everyone that posted on this thread still live in Daybreak?
If so, how's it going? Do you still love it? what kind of changes have you seen?
My husband and I are looking to relocate to Utah and this is one place we are very interested in seeing. How far is it from SLC and Layton ( my hubby may get an offer around there)

Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
So I am wondering does everyone that posted on this thread still live in Daybreak?
If so, how's it going? Do you still love it? what kind of changes have you seen?
My husband and I are looking to relocate to Utah and this is one place we are very interested in seeing. How far is it from SLC and Layton ( my hubby may get an offer around there)
It will be two years in September for us, we love it! SoDa Row is adding more places, we really like the cup cake bakery they opened!

The place is growing and Trax will be in in August, can't wait for that! It is a journey from Layton but SLC ius about 18 miles, trax goes to SLC but I don't know about Layton.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 PM

249 posts, read 650,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It will be two years in September for us, we love it! SoDa Row is adding more places, we really like the cup cake bakery they opened!

The place is growing and Trax will be in in August, can't wait for that! It is a journey from Layton but SLC ius about 18 miles, trax goes to SLC but I don't know about Layton.
AHHHH how did I know it was going to be you
I have been reading up on all the threads.... you are quite the popular poster !!!! So does it look just like the website? I tell you coming from northern NJ... it looks like Mayberry LOL
Anyway I was wondering does anway one rent homes there?
We definately would have to rent for a year or two... and I am hell bent on a yard... living in the concrete jungle for so long I HAVE to have a yard. How is the surrounding area of South Jordan if Daybreak doens't work out?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
Is it true that you have to pay the Daybreak HOA a percentage when you sell your home? I had a co-worker's friend basically walk away from their home because the % that the HOA wanted made it so they would lose money on the sale of their house.

Seemed kinda strange, wasn't sure it was true.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Is it true that you have to pay the Daybreak HOA a percentage when you sell your home? I had a co-worker's friend basically walk away from their home because the % that the HOA wanted made it so they would lose money on the sale of their house.

Seemed kinda strange, wasn't sure it was true.
There is a fee paid by the builder when someone buys a home and then by the sellers when they sell to someone else. It doesn't go to the HOA, it goes to the organization in charge of community events.

The fee is only .5% so that would be about $1,250 on a $250,000 house, not huge but I would imagine the sales commission would be more of a way to lose money at 5%. With many of the resales in Utah today being short sales and foreclosures, I think it is banks who are paying this fee now.

I think it is a good idea and a creative way to raise funds for the community.

About Your Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area