Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 13,559 times

Advertisements

Yup it's another moving thread! I have been reading on this board for a few days and decided to join in on the discussions and ask for my own advice. We are seriously looking at a job relocation in the next few months. My husband will have a job if we move and the office is located downtown. We have three young kids and are in our late 20's. not sure if we are buying or renting right now but our price range would be in the 175k range or 1300 range for rent. Good schools are a must s well as family friendly neighborhood. A 30 minute commute for him wouldn't be an issue. We are thinking more along the lines of a suburban area rather than in the city. I stay at home with the younger two kids and I'm in a few moms groups here in Michigan if anyone has any information on that as well. We are looking forward to a great adventure in moving and have already lived in quite a few states the last 8 years. Mostly in the Midwest so living that far out west is going to be different but exciting! Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,614,602 times
I'd suggest seeking out advice from other online mom groups here in the greater SL valley. Perhaps they could guide you, or provide some good advice.

I recommend renting until you're more familiar with the area and take time to find out what works best for you and your family. I don't have kids so I can't help with that. This area is very kid oriented. I think Salt Lake & Davis counties will be best for your husband's <30 min commute. Here's a map with the zip codes for the greater SL valley. I'm not familiar with the Davis county area to offer much advice there. Use the zip codes to search for rental properties that might be a good fit. Further, I'd recommend you and your husband come out and explore the area before committing to anything.

Will your husband be driving to work or does he want to use public transportation? Coming from Michigan, it's a good bet you're used to driving in snow. That's a plus.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for your response. I did google my twins group that I am a member of here in Michigan and they have a branch in SLC so I'm glad for that. I completely understand the advice to rent for a while before we buy but gosh do I hate packing and unpacking and then to just do it again? We are going to be going on a few scouting trips so depending on how successful those are is how we will base the decision to buy or rent. How is the market there? I know it's rough every where for the most part but in our area of michigan it seems the upswing started about 6 months ago. As for the transportation question I did notice that there is a train system in the area. That will be something that we will look into as well because we have never had access to that type of commuting before. I'm going to check out the link you posted. Thanks again.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM

835 posts, read 2,079,049 times
Real estate is on the upswing at a somewhat alarming rate for buyers..
One of my best friends is a Dirt Pimp, also known as a Realtor, and she is struggling to find properties to interest her buyers.
Inventory is quite low and rent prices are high so come out for a reconnaissance mission..
We live in East Millcreek and love our area. Lots of young families and lots of old farts like me
I have found that Utah is quite a bit more expensive than the midwest too....

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Skibarbie that is what I have read so far as well. The national average is rated at 100 for cost of living and SLC is rated at 106. One thing I noticed is the houses are a lot larger! I put in searches for a 4 bed 2 bath home and tons popped up. If I put that in the search up here then I would gt a small handful.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Also the amount of short sales was really surprising!!

Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,896,530 times
Remember most families are large in UT. When I first moved to SLC and went to restaurants, I was astounded to hear "Jones, party of 16" and other large groups. It was the parents, one or 2 married kids and their kids. I liked the fact that whole families went out together. This was at places like Spaghetti Factory, not at more expensive places.

I was also surprised at how many relatively modest houses had sprinkler systems. Where I came from, only expensive houses had them. But it is a necessity in UT when you water 3 times/week and have to do it at the legal times (real early or late).

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM

Legal times for watering your lawn?! I grew up in West Texas where they would recommend this side of the street watering on this day while the other side on another day. Makes sense though since Utah is a desert it's the middle of winter up here and there is 8 inches of snow on the ground but if you scooped down to the grass it would be green.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,896,530 times
I am in TX now and we have Stage 2 drought restrictions. I can only water on Fri and Mon and not between 10 a to 6 p. There are hefty fines.

In SLC there were fines for watering between the same hours.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 PM

Well my husband has expressed interest in possibly living out in the country a little ways. Nothing out in the boonies but e nought to have a few acres. Any advice on that? Ay realtor site shows zero homes like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area