Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,980,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Well I spoke to someone that is LDS and they came from another state and they even said Utah (born and raised here) mormons are completely different than the transplants here.

I have heard that from some of my LDS friends that are not Utah LDS. She said it is a whole 'nother ball game here.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM

702 posts, read 1,985,210 times
Yup three of the LDS I have met finally here in this development have said it and all are from another state. Like I said before the lady back home wasn't like some of these. Even they complain about the Ken and Barbie syndrome that is here..lol

Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,438,988 times
Quote:
Well I spoke to someone that is LDS and they came from another state and they even said Utah (born and raised here) mormons are completely different than the transplants here.
How are they different? Crazier?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 AM

47 posts, read 156,646 times
Quote:
Even they complain about the Ken and Barbie syndrome that is here..lol
I have to chime in. I am LDS and raised in Utah. I have lived in several other states and have now been in Washington for 10 years. I love Utah, all of my family is still there, and I still visit 4 or more times a year. The Ken and Barbie thing.... I guess you are referring to the way everyone strives to look and dress. I don't think I would limit that to just the Mormons. It is sort of a weird phenomenon that I didn't completely appreciate until I had left Utah for awhile and then come back for visits.

Last summer my children and I went to the Children's Museum in SLC (I hadn't been there for awhile), and I was a little put off by how a large majority of the young mothers and their children were dressed. It looked like they were ready for a fashion shoot. Latest designer jeans, similar haircuts and styles, even the babies were dressed in expensive, "name brand" clothing. It's something I might expect to see in Beverly Hills, but in SLC? My sisters both live on the East side of Bountiful....very expensive homes, cars....etc. The pressure to fit a certain mold is certainly prevalent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone is this way....but I do feel a different vibe now more than ever. I don't know if it's worldliness, materialism?.... When I was there in July driving from Bountiful to Cedar City, I saw no less than 9 billboards from SLC to south Utah Valley advertising some sort of cosmetic surgery or procedure!! Wow, you just don't see that here. I guess were more ok with looking average in Washington. I realize these are generalizations. If I wanted to make generalizations about Washington, I might say we all look like we are ready to go mountain climbing, like we just stepped out of the pages of an REI catalog. lol

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM

Im just saying here especially in South Jordan. You should see the gym. There was actually a woman working out that had complete make up on. Um ok. Don't we go to the gym to work out and not care if we are up to fashion with our Chanel makeup case in tote??? Back East there were certain areas like this as well. I guess I'm just me when it comes to things. I'm going to assume around SLC this is called "keeping up with the Joneses". I did hear one time this is the #1 place for plastic surgery. That shocked me

Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
How are they different? Crazier?
Well its like they are in their own "bubble" world. Im not LDS but coming from a person that is like I have said before, I guess there are major differences. The lady back home was not judgemental or anything. She was who she was.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
There is a tendency here for the LDS to be more "holier than thou" to the point that the late Pres. Hinckley addressed in the Genral Conference.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM

40 posts, read 155,687 times
Quote:
I did hear one time this is the #1 place for plastic surgery. That shocked me
Is that true all over SLC? Like...The Avenues and Sugar House? I thought they were more "granola-ish", is that true? The main reason we took Phoenix off our list of places was b/c of the prevalence of plastic surgery. I thought LA, Dallas, and Phoenix were the 3 main culprits (although I realize it's everywhere...but some places it jumps out more than others). I do not want chlldren growing up around a lot of plastic surgery.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTorCO? View Post
Is that true all over SLC? Like...The Avenues and Sugar House? I thought they were more "granola-ish", is that true? The main reason we took Phoenix off our list of places was b/c of the prevalence of plastic surgery. I thought LA, Dallas, and Phoenix were the 3 main culprits (although I realize it's everywhere...but some places it jumps out more than others). I do not want chlldren growing up around a lot of plastic surgery.
Well its abundant here (where I'm at especially) for plastic surgery. I don't know if all areas are like that but when a radio station is giving away free plastic surgery to the best persons poem that should just tell u something. I see more silicone in the gym more than ever. There are billboards on 15 that promote it as well.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 PM

47 posts, read 156,646 times
It does seem to be really prevalent there. Although, maybe it's a pervasive ideal everywhere nowadays. In the last 6 months I have known women (mother's of young children) that died post surgery (the elective kind) because of complications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area