Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,747,917 times

Advertisements

Are you saying, a public college in secular California allowed the Institute courses to count as college credit? Somewhat surprising. If it happened in Utah, I can only imagine the outcry. I’ve attended LDS religion classes, both at BYU, and at other public universities. At BYU, it was for college credit. At the other universities, I was not given credit.

Getting back to seminary, where I grew up, I attended seminary every morning with 20 or so students from 6-7 a.m. before school. I did not receive high school credit, nor do Utah students. Utah students have it easier – they get to use one of their class periods for release time. Outside of Utah, it wouldn’t really be practical for the LDS church to build a separate seminary building adjacent to a school to serve a couple dozen students. In Utah, where hundreds can attend, it is more practical. In my opinion, if it weren’t Utah and weren’t Mormons, offering release time for religious instruction would be called “accommodation.” Isn’t that all the rage today? But since it’s Utah, and it’s Mormons, it will inevitably cause ulcers because of “mixing Church and state”

Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,530,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Are you saying, a public college in secular California allowed the Institute courses to count as college credit?
Surprisingly, yes. They fell under philosophy, but I can’t remember if they were transferable if one wanted to go on to a four year state school. I know one could use at least three units from an Institute to satisfy a two year degree elective requirement. The University of San Francisco accepted three of my Institute units, but USF is a private Jesuit school. Just goes to show the Catholics have no problem with LDS religious instruction.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 PM

2,550 posts, read 5,470,337 times
just for clarification's sake, i will be the third witness (... ... anyone?).

seminary is *extra*-curricular. kids do not receive school credit for seminary hours. in utah, in order to go to seminary during school, kids must get release time--ino ther words, they are allowed outside of the normal school schedule and experience for a few hours (most seminary buildings are on campus) but must still find a way to graduate with the normal amount of credits despite their extra-curricular activity.

peace. aaron out.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,154,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Are you saying, a public college in secular California allowed the Institute courses to count as college credit? Somewhat surprising. If it happened in Utah, I can only imagine the outcry. I’ve attended LDS religion classes, both at BYU, and at other public universities. At BYU, it was for college credit. At the other universities, I was not given credit.

Getting back to seminary, where I grew up, I attended seminary every morning with 20 or so students from 6-7 a.m. before school. I did not receive high school credit, nor do Utah students. Utah students have it easier – they get to use one of their class periods for release time. Outside of Utah, it wouldn’t really be practical for the LDS church to build a separate seminary building adjacent to a school to serve a couple dozen students. In Utah, where hundreds can attend, it is more practical. In my opinion, if it weren’t Utah and weren’t Mormons, offering release time for religious instruction would be called “accommodation.” Isn’t that all the rage today? But since it’s Utah, and it’s Mormons, it will inevitably cause ulcers because of “mixing Church and state”
Here in my town in Colorado, students attend seminary at the local LDS church from 6-7 AM, as described above. I honestly disagree with the bolded statement. That would not happen in my district in Colorado. No one gets release time for religion classes. My kids took their releigion classes outside of school time. It's not an anti-Mormon thing.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM

363 posts, read 932,608 times
Default SLC might be our next home

Hello all !! Just read through the four pages of entertaining and informational data and I am thankful to all those who shared their knowledge and life experiences about SLC. I am employed by DHS and an opportunity just opened. We moved to Montana from Jersey about 10 months ago. Montana is a great place, low crime(no people in the state) no sales tax and the view of the Rockies... well, breathtaking. Unfortunately, we live 45 miles away from any sign of civilization which is slowly affecting my 6 year old and wife.

As I mentioned before, we moved here from New Jersey and I still believe that it was the best choice our family made. We left behind family and great friends, but sacrifices were necessary. I used to be an energetic, club going person and if SLC is not exactly that way, well... no problem because Montana sucked it out of me. What I am looking at is a place where my 6 year old could start school without spending 2 hrs a day on the bus. A place that is not isolated, but calm with plenty of mountains and snow, but also nice summers. A place where a young family can afford a home without looking at bank statements on daily basis.

Well, I think SLC might be it. Thanks in advance to everyone contributing to my post.

ps: some info on public/private school system and housing would be great

Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM

421 posts, read 1,746,338 times
Sorry Pittnurse, I wasn't clear. As others have said, there is no school credit given. The only thing they required was an attendance record from the seminary teachers, so they knew we weren't just off sluffing for that hour every day.

I had to give up one of my elective classes to take seminary each year, so it didn't take away from any of my required core classes. I think perhaps the boy in the other post wasn't aware of how it worked, and thought he would get an "easy A", when actually he would have received no credit at all. Sorry I wasn't more clear!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,154,396 times
chazcrew, thanks. I kinda thought the same about the boy after everyone said there is no credit. That makes all the difference in the world! I actually have no problem with release time. I would have been happy if our schools did that. My DD did a Bilble study with her youth group at 7 AM on their late-start days. (At Starbuck's, not at the school)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-31-2008 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 PM

111 posts, read 627,836 times
A little late to post...but FYI, when I took a quarter off at UCLA to attend BYU, I met with a college counselor at UCLA to help me determine what classes I should take at BYU that would be transferable back to UCLA. I was planning to take a religion class at BYU and my counselor said that as long as it was scriptures (Bible, Book of Mormon), it WOULD be transferable. I was surprised at that. Since I was an English Lit major, those classes would have been considered "literature in translation" classes and UCLA would have accepted them as credit.

I also took LDS institute courses at UCLA but those DID NOT give me college credit...even though they were scriptures at Institute I don't know why they wouldn't have transferred...I never really pushed the issue though.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 AM

119 posts, read 836,366 times
Default daughter graduating whole year early because she didn't attend seminary

I agree with don't do it and I wish I had never left Nashville. But it's not the worst thing in the word regarding the seminary here. We're nonMorman. My daughter started school here in 9th grade and never attended seminary but instead took another class during that time and now she is graduating a whole year early and getting $1,000 to do it. She's also going to graduate with a silver cord on top of it. So she'll be off to college a whole year early.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,144,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake73 View Post
I agree with don't do it and I wish I had never left Nashville. But it's not the worst thing in the word regarding the seminary here. We're nonMorman. My daughter started school here in 9th grade and never attended seminary but instead took another class during that time and now she is graduating a whole year early and getting $1,000 to do it. She's also going to graduate with a silver cord on top of it. So she'll be off to college a whole year early.

Ooh, good for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area