Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 PM

515 posts, read 2,327,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This sounds more like a customer service/courtesy issue than a locality issue. I could go on and on about how horrid the 'customer service' was in Houston - at times I was outright ignored. But unfortunately customer service and manners seem to be declining rapidly all over this country - trust me I know as I literally travel all over for work. It's not just a SLC thing.
So true. I find it particularly bad where I live, which I attribute mostly to over crowding. I've seen it get progressively worse over time, and the drivers here! I won't even get into that, but whatever they say about Jersey drivers, it's all true and then some. Customer service is often non existent. It's not uncommon to purchase something in a store and have the clerk hand you your change without even a smile, much less saying thank you. They hand me my bag, and I'm the one saying thank you & getting no response! I hate to say, but it's true, this behavior is especially prevalent among non-Americans, who are in the majority in terms of store clerks, fast food personnel, etc. Maybe there are cultural differences?

At least in SLC it really doesn't seem overcrowded... at least not yet. When I was there I saw none of the rudeness I am used to seeing here. But I'm sure it's there, just like it's everywhere else in the country to some extent.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 19,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
So true. I find it particularly bad where I live, which I attribute mostly to over crowding. I've seen it get progressively worse over time, and the drivers here! I won't even get into that, but whatever they say about Jersey drivers, it's all true and then some.
Ha - that's so true . I'm just learning how to drive (I live in Philly) and I'm terrified of Jersey drivers. From what I remember from visiting SLC, the drivers there seemed pretty tame. I guess I'll pay more attention when we come in July to look for a place.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,786,681 times
OK, so maybe the drivers in Houston are worse (been there too). As for crime, you'd have to be an ostrich (get it...head in the sand) to think Utah isn't highly challenged in this area as are most larger cities/municipalities. As for the schools, just talk to a number of parents with kids in the schools and discuss their concerns. They are not devoid of them I can assure you. As for another poster that suggested the rural portions of Utah were a reason for the critisizims, NOPE...not in my book. I'm positively enchanted with the rural areas of Utah as compared to the Ogden to Provo corridor. Going South is a true breath of fresh air. I find the people more engaging, the air quality considerably better (like I remember it way back in the 70's on the East Bench) and traffic pretty much nonexistent. If my work was there I'd move in a New York minute there....but alas you know the drill........I suppose there's always retirement

Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
OK, so maybe the drivers in Houston are worse (been there too). As for crime, you'd have to be an ostrich (get it...head in the sand) to think Utah isn't highly challenged in this area as are most larger cities/municipalities. As for the schools, just talk to a number of parents with kids in the schools and discuss their concerns. They are not devoid of them I can assure you. As for another poster that suggested the rural portions of Utah were a reason for the critisizims, NOPE...not in my book. I'm positively enchanted with the rural areas of Utah as compared to the Ogden to Provo corridor. Going South is a true breath of fresh air. I find the people more engaging, the air quality considerably better (like I remember it way back in the 70's on the East Bench) and traffic pretty much nonexistent. If my work was there I'd move in a New York minute there....but alas you know the drill........I suppose there's always retirement
Do you mean New York city? If you don't like traffic and rude people, avoid it at all costs! Compared to NYC area there is zero traffic and crime in Salt Lake. Also, don't go there unless you like smog, humidity, and lots of rain. In other words, I can't WAIT to leave!!!

I am here in SLC right now, enjoying the endless sunshine, and watching all the weather on TV in the Eastern half of the country. I have been all over the area (not just Sugarhouse), and I'm doing my best to really pay attention to people's behavior, just in case my last trip here was a fluke. But hard as I try, I just cannot find these rude people that supposedly live here. I went to the Arts Festival today, figuring it was a good way to observe a lot of people. No problems there - everyone was pleasant. I'm staying in Murray - everyone I've encountered in stores & restaurants has been quite nice. Overall, the drivers are more aggressive than I'd expect, but that's preferable to me than people putting around. People were very tolerant of me driving all around Sugarhouse in circles, going 10 miles per hour, slamming on the breaks every time I saw a "for rent" sign! I didn't get honked at once!

I really am at a loss as to why some people hate this place. It's so beautiful here.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:12 AM

4 posts, read 13,042 times
I am really eating all of this up. A very informative forum, I think.

You guys have it right about most of the negatives people have mentioned being comparatively worse in other parts of the country. One thing I dislike seeing in all of these forums is when people say "the drivers here are terrible!" Ok, take a look; people say that for EVERY city! I have never in my life heard anyone say "wow, you know, this place has the greatest drivers. I just love driving around here, because everyone is so polite and it's all very 'you-first'." It doesn't exist, so please stop using the bad drivers line.

I have a few questions as far as the outdoorsy parts and the environment. I am not necessarily looking to relocate here specifically, though it is fun to see what the prospects are like. I love lakes & boating. Are there any fresh water lakes around or does the ground make it all too salty? Obviously there is the Great Salt Lake, but it doesn't seem very appealing from what I have seen. Perhaps I am wrong? A little insight on lakes/rivers/what-have-you would be really great.

Also, is there simply zero humidity in Utah? I like a little humidity, though too much is terrible. I currently live in the Seattle area and I think we get the perfect amount. But after living in both Tempe, AZ (desert) and Pagosa Springs, CO (Rocky Mtns), I have little interest in going back to a bone-dry climate. SLC is both desert & mountains, so my guess is that there is zippo moisture.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,990,833 times
No. We do have some humidity, but nothing like 98% or anything like that. Right now, it is 10am, with a temp of 81 degrees and 25% humidity. Our high today should be right around 95 or so. I have seen the humidity hover around the teens, so it is very dry here.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:56 PM

I find the dryness one of the more appealing things about being here. I don't find it overly dry, like winter in VT where my skin is cracks from the dryness. The only way I notice it at all is that you don't get "sticky" when you are out in the heat, and my naturally curly hair, which I blow out stays straight and doesn't frizz. Also, when you step into the shade it's a lot cooler, which is not the case where it's very humid.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,990,833 times
I agree. I had lived for 9 years in NJ and until I moved here, I didn't realize how nice not having humidity actually was! Just recently we took a trip back east and OMG, I never want to live back there again!!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I agree. I had lived for 9 years in NJ and until I moved here, I didn't realize how nice not having humidity actually was! Just recently we took a trip back east and OMG, I never want to live back there again!!
I know, I'm dreading going back home, and even worse, I'll be in Atlanta next weekend - talk about a contrast in climate!

Oh, and I forgot to add, another nice side effect to the dryness is lack of mosquitoes.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,970,159 times
Umm, mosquitoes and fleas can't survive the winters here so the population is very low. My dogs haven't have HeartGard or Advantix since we moved here. Right now at 4: 20 p.m., it is 100 deg. at my local monitoring station on the East bench, with 16% humidity. When it gets over 100, the humidity is usally about 6-7%. As a PP said, the shade is surprisingly cool. I just got back from the dog park and I was quite comfortable sitting in the shade, as were several other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area