Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM

29 posts, read 210,288 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 30yr old female single doctor, have lived in Atlanta (nice place), NYC (hated it!), and now may be moving to Salt Lake City. I'm a bit of a yippie--an outdoor enthusiast, environmentalist, vegetarian, but also like drinking a martini at a sophisticated lounge with other professionals. I was just wondering what the general feel of SLC is like. I of course realize not everyone fits into a one sentence generalization, and I'm sure there are niches for nearly everyone, but every city does have a certain feel to it. Thoughts?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 AM

21 posts, read 94,492 times
If you like the outdoors you are looking into the right area of the country. SLC is centrally located to just about all recreational possibilities. The medical community is a great place to meet all kinds of people from all over the world. SLC will offer what your looking for. Except if you are looking for a liberal community. SLC in general is pretty conservative. However there are some exceptions. Check out these neighborhoods when you come: the Avenues, Sugar House and Downtown, I think you'll find these places more inviting for what appears to be your pace. I moved here in May and also work in the medical field (I'm an RN). My opportunities have been endless and people thus far have been very nice. There are some martini bars downtown and some really good restaraunts as well. I especially like Takashi, a japaneses restaraunt downtown and there is a martini bar attatched next door. Don't let the forums that get off on LDS tangents scare you, it's really not a big issue, people seem to make a bigger deal out of it than it is.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 AM

119 posts, read 835,015 times
Default Salt Lake City

Just my opinion after having lived in Nashville for three years, you're going to miss Atlanta very much. It's like night and day. Yes, it is very beautiful here and clean and family oriented and four great seasons. But the city has no energy, in my opinion. Too slow. The only reason I've stayed here this long is because I have a daughter that is a senior in high school and couldn't pull her out. This is just my opinion though.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 AM

40 posts, read 129,045 times
If you have lived in Atlanta and liked it, your probably not going to find SLC a nice place to live at all. I have family that moved to SLC because of their jobs being moved out there and I spent about 2 weeks in SLC with them when they first moved and I didn't find it too appealing, it just seemed like a "weird" place, alot less energy than larger cities in the south.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM

119 posts, read 835,015 times
Default Downtown

It's very strange downtown compared to big cities in the South. It's a very quiet city and everybody leaves the city after work.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:51 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Default very true

Comments about city having no energy and being weird are totally true. I am a native Texan, lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for four years, also a slow place, and moved here thinking Salt Lake would be a nice change. I still can't figure out what the draw to this place is. I have never been so bored in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake73 View Post
But the city has no energy, in my opinion. Too slow.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:45 PM

51 posts, read 264,423 times
Default living in slc...

Hello there! you can find everything you need if you put time into it. do some research. I have been living here for about six months now from New Jersey and I just really love the slower pace then NY/NJ had. It's not a big party town which is kind of nice but if you want to go and have a drink somewhere there are many places to do so. People move out here for the quality of lige skiing, mountain biking, hiking etc. If you like the outdoors than Utah is the place for you. The only thing I am having trouble with is finding good food. Coming from the East Coast, so close to NY I was very spoiled with the food. Im sure I will find it, it's a matter of just trying different places. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,519 times
Default The skiing is great

SLC is very white bread, boring with the feel of a very large strip mall.
The skiing is the best in the US however

Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2UtahfromNJ View Post
Hello there! you can find everything you need if you put time into it. do some research. I have been living here for about six months now from New Jersey and I just really love the slower pace then NY/NJ had. It's not a big party town which is kind of nice but if you want to go and have a drink somewhere there are many places to do so. People move out here for the quality of lige skiing, mountain biking, hiking etc. If you like the outdoors than Utah is the place for you. The only thing I am having trouble with is finding good food. Coming from the East Coast, so close to NY I was very spoiled with the food. Im sure I will find it, it's a matter of just trying different places. Good luck!
This is what I'm hoping for. Sounds like if you are a "city" person, SLC is not a good choice. This may be the one city where I would actually be happy living in the city itself. I would hate being in an urban environment, with high rises everywhere and lots of hustle and bustle. I am used to the suburbs, but they are not that great if you are not a family with kids... so I am hoping some of the residential areas in the city (Sugarhouse , etc.) will be sort of like suburbs that are better suited to single people. The area I am coming from lacks anything quite like that.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 PM

16 posts, read 73,439 times
Salt Lake City is a rich, rich place. The air is dazzling. Whenever you are weary you just look up at the blue-white of the mountains, fringing the town almost wherever you look, or you just drive a half-hour up into those mountains where the air is even brighter and purer, or to cool yourself in the summer. The magic watchful air of the mountains is over all, and they bring peace and richness to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area