Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:54 PM

914 posts, read 973,709 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was expecting big things for July 4th here even though the main day Pioneers day in July I'm sure is a bigger thing. However I have been surprised how quiet the celebrations have been. Has been small things going on in Sandy, and a Rodeo in W Jordan but thought there would be more going on in downtown SLC, like a big parade and celebrations but in the city there was very little or nothing. Thought also that people would be out in their yards etc celebrating this great day but seems like a ghost town and no one is out in their yards at all, or maybe the heat has sent them to sit inside with the air con on. Is it more like a public holiday here where people don't celebrate but use it as a chance to get away for a long weekend camping etc. Just find it strange in other states they have so much going on but here seems to be a non event apart from flags being out up outside my house in the day. This evening there are fireworks etc and we are off to the soccer but it just seems a bit of a damp squib or am I expecting too much or is it more of a family time? As we have no family here this wouldn't happen but where we have lived before people would still get together anyway not just family. After all it is a National Holiday rather than just a regional one so I expected there to be lots going on and people out and about enjoying themselves or getting together in neighbourhoods but this doesn't seem to be the case or are people taking advantage of the summer holidays as the US workers don't always get a lot of annual leave? Or are more of the celebrations left to the evening? Neighbours had us in last night for fireworks etc but not seen anyone around in whole neighbourhood today which I find a bit strange on such a patriotic day. In the UK for jubilee there would be street parties, BBQ's etc or even sometimes for other events. Just surprised with the US being so patriotic that it is not a bigger deal here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 06:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
I was surprised by this when I moved to Utah. other places I have lived the 4th of July is pretty big celebration. Here people seem to save up all of the celebration for the 24th.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
The Sugar House park fireworks were anazing! Not sure if still doing them?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:24 PM

388 posts, read 549,256 times
There is a street party outside here LOL, beer and thumping music. Soon various kids will be letting off fireworks in the street (no fireworks area but WTF right). I have ridden around areas where the streets were lined with chairs for people to watch their various parades. Rivertion yesterday had chair savers, Fort street usually does too. At Snowbird today there were tons of people out for various activities. If you feel the love for pioneer day, the real thing to see IMO is the native American area at Pioneer park (if that is still a thing). Leave your camera at home, take some chairs and the entry fee (s few bucks, well worth it).

Old 07-04-2015, 10:03 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Hi all, I was expecting big things for July 4th here even though the main day Pioneers day in July I'm sure is a bigger thing.
Yep it is Montygirl !

You are just *beginning* to experience the many differences of life in Utah versus anywhere else in the world, including where you came from ...

It is just the way it is, and all you can do is enjoy it and then go back some day (or not ...)
and then tell all about how weird and different everything is here !

Utah people, especially the LDS population is really very patriotic, and in Church, if you would have cared to see what is going on in there, on the July 4th time, you may note that they do talk about it and even sing the national anthem often. Is that done in England in *your church* ?

In essence, we get out and camp out, or have backyard parties with our family and have the traditional hot dogs, hamburgers, pies (home made for the diehards !!) and umpteen cans of soft drinks (not good for you but whatever ...).
Non LDS people substitute beer for soft drinks (may also not good for you, or ??)

Did you even notice some of the street parades (which really upset traffic ... ?? for a few hours, but we take it in stride and do not complain) and are organised by the really local people in that particular area.

In the country (meaning outside of SLC proper and surroundings), where there are just a whole bunch of small towns or villages, they even do a 4th July parade in one small town and then another one on the 24th in the next small town. I know, because I fly over those parades and then drop ping pong balls (before the parade) over the main parade route for the kids to gather. If they have a winning one they get some small token.

So yes, it is celebrated, more of a spiritual thing, but the 24th is definitely a bigger one !!
One caveat if you want to watch that parade.
As far as I remember I have never attended one 24th July parade where it was not hotter than heck !!
So DO bring a parasol with you !! besides the chairs and whatever else to keep you cool!
It will also be one of the few times where *you* can see who is or are some of the Church officials here ... (IF you are interested ...)

Type this into your browser:
4th July celebrations in Utah

Old 07-05-2015, 12:28 AM

I find that a bit condescending as patriotism is not linked to the church(maybe I'm wrong and in Utah it is or maybe I misinterpreted what you were trying to say), it is linked to your country(maybe my opinion maybe not), we sing the national anthem where I come from and I sang watching Real Salt lake( I sang the USA national anthem and know the all the words ), where I come from it is sung at other sporting events we also sing it on other occasions including in places of worship sometimes but I don't see how that is relevant as you do not have to go to a place of worship or be religious to be deemed patriotic or find patriotism. It is prevalent all over the world in the countries I have been and lived with religion having no bearing on it and even by immigrants who decide to move to other countries or people who are born in a different country to those that their parents were. I have been to churches, synagogues,temples, mosques and other places of worship etc I just choose not to participate in places of worship often including my own religion and that is my choice, sorry but it is and that goes for where I come from as well as here. It makes no difference to how I feel about people and here I have friends from all backgrounds including LDS friends who know I do not go to church/places of worship but could not care if I do or don't and makes no difference to us being friends. Maybe others find me weird not being into attending a place of worship but I'll live with it . I agree Utah people are hugely patriotic and this is why I was surprised a bit more wasn't made of July 4th but maybe my idea of a big deal and theirs vary . However there was plenty of patriotism tonight at the soccer and its great and certainly not something I find weird as us Brits too love patriotism and a bit of pomp and circumstance as well as a good old knees up for special occasions !

I enjoyed tonight immensely and the game, but before it started they celebrated and thanked the forces who fought for the country and at the end we were treated to some fantastic fireworks after the event which ended the day on a huge high. One set of my neighbours were also at the game.

I did do research on what was going on in my browser but there was nothing mentioned in the city, my reasoning for wanting to do something there was so my Dad who is visiting could have a good look around the city whilst he is here including Temple square etc and the beautiful gardens as well as some of the other landmarks which he has not seen since he arrived as we were away in Southern Utah . Yes there was an event in Riverton but this did not come up on google, maybe I should have looked directly on each suburb and what was on and I'm sure others who go to abroad sometimes have the same issues in the UK finding things outside of London, its just a passing remark not a personal attack.I am near to Riverton and was out cycling that way yesterday but did not see any boards saying about events although I didn't go directly through the city parkbut just along the Jordan river trail.

The weather and heat does not bother me at all and I am loving the heat and sun here every day(never happens where I come from even in summer) and just got back from 3 days in Zion where although it hit temps of 109F did not quell a fantastic trip away and we even managed to do some of the Narrows which my kids loved. The weather here does not send me indoors, it makes me embrace the outdoors and I have lost count how many evening I have eaten dinner outside and sat out in my yard until late into the evening since I have been here. I have spent almost every day of the school hols so far outdoors and love the choice of activities Utah has to offer compared to where I come from. I actually love the fact kids here want to be outdoors unlike the UK where it is strange that some prefer to to sit indoors gaming all day or watching TV rather than enjoy the great outdoors when the weather is actually suitable to do it.

I get people spend time with family which is a fantastic part of the area but for those who don't have family and there are many people here from out of state that is not an option apart from my own, although I have my dad here this year for this date.But sometimes it is nice to mix with others too as a community so as you say maybe that's something I have to get used to if we stay long term. Even where I come from family are not close by and some live in Ireland but we have a very close community and lots of social friends which makes things for us easy as we have family time with my hubby and kids but also enjoy being social with others including those who also do not have family around.

I didn't see any parades stop traffic today but hey maybe I was later than they were when I headed out for a bit or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I don't think everything is weird and different here, some things are as they all are in various countries but I did find it strange that in the main city(downtown) there was not a major parade like they do for St Patricks day and Pioneers Day as you have said. This would happen in the main part of a city elsewhere like it does in London, Paris, Sydney for big occasions like July 4th is so sorry if I have offended you.

So in short Pioneers will be the bigger one and I should get my soft drinks and alcoholic drinks ready as I drink all as well as water :-)

Tomorrow I will be watching and cheering on the USA ladies in their match and really hope they win (as well as singing the anthem before the game starts), yes if England had made the final I would have sung their anthem too and supported them of course against the US as that is my country of birth and I have spent most of my life there.My kids would too as they are patriotic about the UK as well as the US where they now live(they did however get 3rd place today and I was elated when we won and felt patriotic that we did) however they are not in the final and I feel proud to cheer on the USA rather than saying oh I wont bother watching the game as England are not in the final.

I have a friend who is born and bred here but he has been supporting Germany not the USA as his mum originates from there and he feels a strong bond with it having lived some of his life there.I agree some display their patriotism through places of worship which is fantastic but some are just as patriotic and that has nothing to do with their religion or faith its to do with where you come from and your love for that country and just because they don't attend a church it doesn't mean they cant be or less so. Plenty countries are patriotic including the UK,NZ and Australia and they are more secular yet hugely proud and patriotic when it comes to their country.

Last edited by Montygirl; 07-05-2015 at 01:54 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The Sugar House park fireworks were anazing! Not sure if still doing them?
they were according to the news today, I could not attend these as we were off to the Soccer

Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
they were according to the news today, I could not attend these as we were off to the Soccer
We went to watch the Bees play at Smith's Ballpark and the fireworks there were amazing!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We went to watch the Bees play at Smith's Ballpark and the fireworks there were amazing!

Bees are another thing on the bucket list Katzpur!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:36 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Quote:
Bees are another thing on the bucket list Katzpur!
Here too! We are trying to pick a good day to go!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area