Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 AM

360 posts, read 1,129,383 times

Advertisements

I am non LDS, moved to the city from Texas 5 years ago, and also lived in DC for 8 years. I live in a condo between the U and Downtown, just a few blocks from the TRAX station. I work downtown and also hit the bars downtown, I have no problem getting around, either walking or taking the train. I have a car, but just use it briefly for a trip to the grocery store. The point is, you can get around here easily, live among Liberals, and have your coffee and booze too. Also, I should say, there are a lot of small, independently owned coffee places here, try those first, don't just settle for the buck. The one thing I do find most challenging is dating. It seems all the singles are either too young or maybe they just don't hang out in the places I do!!! Maybe someone here will have ideas on the dating in SLC thingy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,201 times
You'll do great! The liberals out number conservatives in the city. So choosing the right area to live in is key. Stay closer to the city. We really aren't as oppressed as people like to think. I've traveled pretty much everywhere and you just can't beat these mountains, or the desert, or...

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM

43 posts, read 133,563 times
I would say don't do it. I am also 31 and grew up in Massachusetts. Lived in Somerville for 5 years after college :-)

My husband is in the Air Force, that is why we are here. We are adjusting - it's beautiful, great skiing, but as for nightlife or culture, it leaves alot to be desired.

I work at the U and like it there, but it's still not comparable to other cities I have lived in as far as diversity.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM

25 posts, read 119,788 times
So many people complain about the night life and after hours culture in Utah. I don't really know what you mean and i'm from Los Angeles. There's concerts, boxing/MMA fights, and at least two bras and a night club on every block downtown. Almost every one of these places have lines out the door every night.

There's a conservative culture but they really don't hinder the party culture.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,279,064 times
I guess it just depends on what they're used to. Maybe they miss the old bar they used to go to all the time and there's none that are as "good" as that one, or maybe they miss the people they used to party with. I'm not a big nightlife person, so I don't have much to say about that scene.

Either way, Sugarhouse is probably the most diverse area in terms of people and the stores that you can find, with the exception of downtown.

Also, don't believe the rumors. TONS of Mormons drink caffeine, too (although not many drink coffee).

What you'll find here though are also a lot of "Jack Mormons", ones that still might pretend to follow the church or put on the perception that they do, and ones that are still counted in the Mormon population stats, but don't actually preach, follow, or care about it. This is especially true among the high school and college age groups, before they're completely out of their parent's influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area