Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,234 times

Advertisements

Hi....I am looking for some feedback (non sugar coated - honest answers) on life in Salt Lake City.

I am 31, single (with no immediate plans to get married), socially liberal, have a small dog, enjoy having drinks out at a bar or club, love my Diet Coke and Dunkin Donuts coffee, like going to athletic events, movies, the theatre, etc. I grew up in Minnesota, went to school at Notre Dame, have lived in Kansas and now am in Boston (I love living in Boston).

I am currently looking into a job with UU and am curious as to how a single woman who isn't going to be participating in any religious services/events/gatherings (Mormon or otherwise), likes her caffeine and beer and living in a blue state, might fare in Salt Lake?

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to respond! It will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
My advice is don't do it. But if you really feel tempted fly out, rent a car and spend a couple of days. You might want to live here but probably not. Utah is very conservative.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
My advice is don't do it. But if you really feel tempted fly out, rent a car and spend a couple of days. You might want to live here but probably not. Utah is very conservative.
Just because you had a negative experience here does not mean every single female will.

To answer the thread starter, here is my impression so far. I am in SLC right now checking the place out to see if I want to live here. I've been here for a week so far, although I have spent some of that time skiing (which is fantastic, if you are into winter sports). I am also a single female from the East coast, mid 40's, non-religious, no kids, who likes a drink now and then.

Here is my impression so far. I LOVE it here, and I am definitely moving here. It is incredibly beautiful - the mountains are so close you feel like you can reach out and touch them. Nearly everyone I have come in contact with has been friendly and helpful. No one has tried to push religion on me yet! Well, maybe the people I encountered in Temple Square today, but that's to be expected.

I've done quite a bit of exploring, and it seems like a very livable city, but it is small, tiny compared to Boston and a lot of the "city" consists of houses, rather than tall buildings. Sugar House & the Avenues is the area everyone will suggest to you, as there are more single, liberal people, while the "suburbs" is more families and more religious. There are coffee house and Starbucks all over, so no worries about the caffeine! No one has looked at me funny for ordering a beer. I also really like the Foothills area, and found an apartment complex I like there. Rents are reasonable. There are more and more good restaurants opening up - seems like the city is growing and the economy here is good. Yes the state is very conservative, but this is less the case in SLC. The mayor is very liberal, and that seems to be the direction things are headed. I have also seen more diversity than I expected.

I highly recommend coming out to check it out. I obviously can't speak as a native, but I am confident that I will enjoy living here. The biggest drawback you may find is that it is much more limited in what the city has to offer (culturally, entertainment-wise, etc.) compared to Boston. There is basketball, but I think that's it for major sports. But if you like the Rockies, beautiful scenery, and outdoor recreation, you may love it too.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:27 AM

119 posts, read 835,052 times
Default don't do it

Visiting and living here are two totally different things. And if you do move here, don't live anywhere else but the Avenues or Sugar House.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:26 AM

494 posts, read 1,897,600 times
Default Moving to SLC

I'm assuming by "UU" you mean the University of Utah? My boss, who is in his mid-30's moved here from Boston. He loves it here - he lives in a house by the University, where it is much more liberal. I think if you stick close to Salt Lake you will be fine. You will find that there are few bars outside of Salt Lake in the suburbs. I don't think you would like it in the suburbs.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:19 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake73 View Post
Visiting and living here are two totally different things. And if you do move here, don't live anywhere else but the Avenues or Sugar House.
Maybe you should elaborate a bit. You're right, living here and visiting are 2 different things. In the past week I have talked to no less than 20 natives about how they feel about living here. Many relocated from other places. The unanimous response was positive. I guess I have just been lucky to have encountered friendly, helpful people everywhere I have been? People who are out doing things seem to like it better than people sitting at home grumbling on a message board. There is definitely not a random sample of residents posting here - there are a disproportionate number of unhappy people who seem to just want to scare everyone off.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM

242 posts, read 854,225 times
I think you'll be just fine here. I'm also from Minnesota, visited Boston (and would love to live there!) and have lived in Utah for a year and half now. I really like it here and I'm planning on sticking around for a while. Unfortunately we don't have any Dunkin around here and I've been complaining about that since I got back from my Boston trip.

I live in the Sugarhouse area and can't imagine living anywhere else. I love that everything that I want and need is within walking distance. Then if I need to head to another area, we have freeway access just up the road. I can be just about anywhere in less than 10 minutes and can be at the south end of the valley in about 20.

I have no problem getting my alcohol and caffeine. The membership at bars rule is a bit stupid but there's really no way around it. So I just pay up and get on with it.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM

37 posts, read 220,072 times
Salt Lake is very easy to fall in love with.... whether you're a liberal or conservative doesn't matter too much...

The Mormon people here are extraordinarily nice... but you can still find plenty of caffiene and/or alcohol. Natural beauty is amazing... and proximity to outdoor activities is a HUGE plus.

Also... Salt Lake is a perfectly sized town.... not too small... there is plenty of entertainment and activities... decent size airport.... good economic opportunity.... yet the traffic is easy for the most part... and there really isn't too much urban blight.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 PM

186 posts, read 570,213 times
Move to Provo in a heavily populated LDS community, you will fit right in

Old 03-08-2008, 02:44 PM

186 posts, read 570,213 times
[quote=BorderGirl;3015383]Unfortunately we don't have any Dunkin around here and I've been complaining about that since I got back from my Boston trip.
QUOTE]

Since you live in Sugar House, go to a place called Schmidts bakery on 21st south. It has much better goodies than you'll ever get at a Dunkin Donuts, especially the Rum Balls MMMMMMMM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area