Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:18 PM

337 posts, read 312,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
What type of climate do you prefer? Can you and your family handle heat and cold extremes, or prefer to avoid them?

Are you only wanting suggestions for somewhere in the western U.S., or open to anywhere in the country? I can definitely give some ideas if the criteria is narrowed a bit.

Hi Chahunt,

That is a great map! You have been so helpful; I really appreciate it. To answer your questions:

- Any climate is fine as long as it is not predominantly hot and humid (not FL or MS). We love the climate in SLC and the four distinct seasons.
- western US appears to be out due to number of active faults. It looks like the eastern half of Montana would work, but jobs don't appear to be in abundance there.

Of course no place will be without hazards. But if I could build the ideal city it would be described as:
- clean air
- clean water
- high social capital
- family-friendly - lots of parks, kids outside playing, good libraries, decent schools, low crime, etc.
- IT jobs
- near a good hospital
- outdoor recreation readily available (hiking, swimming, backpacking, night stars)
- close to lakes/water or mountains/hills
- well-planned city, govt officials have their act together
- walkable neighborhoods, and/or bicycle-friendly, and/or good public transit
- population up to 1 million-ish (we hate sitting in traffic)
- not over-the-top cost of living

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your input.

P.S. Flagstaff does seem pretty but evidently it's not too job-secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am sorry to be the bearer of the bad news but if you like the mountains, you must also love the faults. Here is a USGS paper on the trans Rocky mountain fault system https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1334/pdf/C1334.pdf

You will likely find better air much more easily in the area around here than no faults. Grand Canyon (Flagstaff) is full of them too.

Obviously, if you feel really uncomfortable with the earthquakes, you must act on it. If possible, perhaps you should dig deeper into them. While there are no certainties in life, you can give yourself a better chance at surviving them - without loss or injury - by selecting where you live and the the type of residence. Newer codes, earthquake tolerant construction methods, etc. take you a long way.

I have never truly been in a really bad earthquake but was in one in Japan when an earthquake that might have been a big deal elsewhere stuck. I barely felt it as the building (a high rise) was constructed in a way to deal with it much better. The whole country carried on without missing a heartbeat.

Around here (or elsewhere for that matter), if you locate yourself on bedrock and have a newer dwelling, you will likely be fine. You can have it inspected by competent people who can further advise you on its ability to withstand an earthquake. But, of course, it cannot guarantee anything. You or your loved one's might be elsewhere when this happens. Or, you might be visiting visiting Katzpur from your safe house

All the best!
Good things to think about. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
In looking at the areas that are either white or light blue, I can't see any I'd really like to live in.

OP: Have you considered Colorado? If you're willing to move into a "yellow" area, that might be an option.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:33 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,486,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Of course no place will be without hazards. But if I could build the ideal city it would be described as:
- clean air
- clean water
- high social capital
- family-friendly - lots of parks, kids outside playing, good libraries, decent schools, low crime, etc.
- IT jobs
- near a good hospital
- outdoor recreation readily available (hiking, swimming, backpacking, night stars)
- close to lakes/water or mountains/hills
- well-planned city, govt officials have their act together
- walkable neighborhoods, and/or bicycle-friendly, and/or good public transit
- population up to 1 million-ish (we hate sitting in traffic)
- not over-the-top cost of living

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your input.

P.S. Flagstaff does seem pretty but evidently it's not too job-secure.
Does that mean you don't want any of the Western states? North Carolina is a thriving area that has everything you listed. They have the Appalachian mountains and Great Smoky Mountains National Park which light up in a stunning display each autumn. Then a few hours to the east you have very nice beaches on the Atlantic coast. Lots of water, mountains, and it is a family friendly area.

Otherwise, I still recommend Colorado Springs. It has about a million people, it is affordable, gorgeous, clean, family compatible, and not too far from Utah. The elevation is higher than SLC at 6000 feet, but still has mild weather and it is sunnier than SLC. Plus the air quality is good.

My other recommendation would be St. George Utah. You've probably been there and it meets most of your criteria. Not sure about the IT jobs, but it definitely meets the other desires.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In looking at the areas that are either white or light blue, I can't see any I'd really like to live in.

OP: Have you considered Colorado? If you're willing to move into a "yellow" area, that might be an option.
Agreed! Eastern Colorado is pretty plain and dull. Lots of farmland.

I keep rooting for Colorado along the Front Range. And actually, Denver and CO Spring are mostly in the blue and green section of the map, so relatively safe seismically.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times
Grand Rapids, Michigan. Total metro area of about a million people, reasonable cost of living, about 45 minutes to Lake Michigan, and many inland lakes even closer, lively arts scene, lots of active people, good job market, many parks, and low unemployment right now.

I grew up there, and used to joke how it was the Salt Lake City of the Midwest- you just substitute Great Lake for mountains and Christian Reformed Church for LDS, and the vibe is rather similar.

Down side- the same Great Lakes that keep winter temperatures mild compared to Minnesota or Chicago and help create a perfect environment for summer produce also tend to leave it somewhat gloomy from October through March. Do budget for some sort of sunny getaway, whether it's beach or ski, to keep the SAD away.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Agreed! Eastern Colorado is pretty plain and dull. Lots of farmland.

I keep rooting for Colorado along the Front Range. And actually, Denver and CO Spring are mostly in the blue and green section of the map, so relatively safe seismically.
You know, I realize a lot of people like Denver, but personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live there. I've never been to Colorado Springs, though.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
You know, I realize a lot of people like Denver, but personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live there. I've never been to Colorado Springs, though.
Why is that? I know the housing costs are crazy out there right now. Then again, Salt Lake area has the same thing happening right now, but hasn't reached the prices out there.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I don't blame you. Colorado is probably the next best thing, but it's not SLC

Old 08-22-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Does that mean you don't want any of the Western states? North Carolina is a thriving area that has everything you listed. They have the Appalachian mountains and Great Smoky Mountains National Park which light up in a stunning display each autumn. Then a few hours to the east you have very nice beaches on the Atlantic coast. Lots of water, mountains, and it is a family friendly area.

Otherwise, I still recommend Colorado Springs. It has about a million people, it is affordable, gorgeous, clean, family compatible, and not too far from Utah. The elevation is higher than SLC at 6000 feet, but still has mild weather and it is sunnier than SLC. Plus the air quality is good.

My other recommendation would be St. George Utah. You've probably been there and it meets most of your criteria. Not sure about the IT jobs, but it definitely meets the other desires.
I'm actually quite familiar with NC - I grew up in Atlanta.

We'll also be taking a short trip to visit family in Denver soon, and maybe will have a chance to see Colorado Springs. It sounds nice. Will report back in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area