Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 AM

337 posts, read 311,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Grand Rapids, Michigan. Total metro area of about a million people, reasonable cost of living, about 45 minutes to Lake Michigan, and many inland lakes even closer, lively arts scene, lots of active people, good job market, many parks, and low unemployment right now.

I grew up there, and used to joke how it was the Salt Lake City of the Midwest- you just substitute Great Lake for mountains and Christian Reformed Church for LDS, and the vibe is rather similar.

Down side- the same Great Lakes that keep winter temperatures mild compared to Minnesota or Chicago and help create a perfect environment for summer produce also tend to leave it somewhat gloomy from October through March. Do budget for some sort of sunny getaway, whether it's beach or ski, to keep the SAD away.
Thanks! I am looking into the Michigan-Wisconsin-Minnesota areas. It's reassuring to see your comparison to SLC. Any other cities you can recommend in one of the states near the Great Lakes? Ann Arbor seems to have a high reputation on the internet, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 AM

28,106 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Why is that?
It's a reason that most people would say was not a very good one. I used to travel on business. I'd go to L.A., San Francisco, Seattle, Phoenix, Dallas and Denver. I just always found the people in Denver to be among the rudest I've ever met. It was probably just my experience, but it put a bad taste in my mouth for Denver that has never left.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:41 AM

337 posts, read 311,882 times
I should probably clarify it's not the earthquakes alone that worry me. It's the fact that there doesn't seem to be anything done along the Wasatch range to prepare for a large one. Japan has earthquakes all the time. That wouldn't stop me from living there, because their buildings and infrastructure are designed to withstand (most of) them. SLC is a different story.

And yes, if I were looking to buy a home here, that would be the primary concern - choosing a location and ensuring the structure's ability to withstand a magnitude 7.0 earthquake, give or take. Renters make up a huge % of the population here, and they unfortunately don't have that option. As everyone knows how tight the housing market is, a lot of people can't afford to buy any house in SLC, much less one to those specs. Even if we got a home that was up-to-code seismically, that still wouldn't ensure my husband would be safe while he's at work (his work building is also projected at 70-100% destruction). Or my kids, at school.

I just want to thank all of you again for your support and ideas. You've really helped.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,873,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Thanks! I am looking into the Michigan-Wisconsin-Minnesota areas. It's reassuring to see your comparison to SLC. Any other cities you can recommend in one of the states near the Great Lakes? Ann Arbor seems to have a high reputation on the internet, too.
I loved living in Ann Arbor as a broke grad student. It's a lovely classic college town with a lot of high tech jobs and a good hospital system. People from all over the world there, which makes it more fun in my book. Housing costs are high by Midwestern standards but not awful compared to the coasts (and IMO not worth it to live in Ypsilanti where the cheaper housing is). Don't know you're political leanings but the city proper is Berkley on the Huron River with some outlying parts of Washtenaw County being more conservative. There's actually a lot of cool stuff in metro Detroit nearby for day and evening trips, and you're also quite close to Detroit Metro airport.

Michigan is pretty hit-or-miss. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo (smaller metro area that might tick most of your boxes), Ann Arbor, the area around Traverse City and many parts of metro Detroit are in generally good shape and can offer a good quality of life at a reasonable cost of living. But the city of Detroit's problems have been well-documented for decades, and a number of other small metros like Saginaw or Jackson or Battle Creek or Flint have really struggled as wel.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,233,791 times
Quote:
Check out Duluth, MN as well. Nice place. Slightly cold in the winter but very beautiful. I have visited multiple times across the year (as I have a client there) and have found it to be a very nice town.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,634,088 times
Quote:
Hi Chahunt,

That is a great map! You have been so helpful; I really appreciate it. To answer your questions:

- Any climate is fine as long as it is not predominantly hot and humid (not FL or MS). We love the climate in SLC and the four distinct seasons.
- western US appears to be out due to number of active faults. It looks like the eastern half of Montana would work, but jobs don't appear to be in abundance there.

Of course no place will be without hazards. But if I could build the ideal city it would be described as:
- clean air
- clean water
- high social capital
- family-friendly - lots of parks, kids outside playing, good libraries, decent schools, low crime, etc.
- IT jobs
- near a good hospital
- outdoor recreation readily available (hiking, swimming, backpacking, night stars)
- close to lakes/water or mountains/hills
- well-planned city, govt officials have their act together
- walkable neighborhoods, and/or bicycle-friendly, and/or good public transit
- population up to 1 million-ish (we hate sitting in traffic)
- not over-the-top cost of living

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your input.

P.S. Flagstaff does seem pretty but evidently it's not too job-secure.
Excluding the item I bolded, would the exurbs of either Boston or Atlanta work?

Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,485,294 times
I'm sure it's beautiful and a very nice place to live in the MN, MI, and WI areas, but don't forget, they have pretty chilly winters with lots of grey, dreary days throughout the winter. That could get old real quick if you are used to sunshine.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:06 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I'm sure it's beautiful and a very nice place to live in the MN, MI, and WI areas, but don't forget, they have pretty chilly winters with lots of grey, dreary days throughout the winter. That could get old real quick if you are used to sunshine.
The US is a southern latitude country for the most part. Most people don't take Vitamin D supplements during the winter, that is easily solvable.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:53 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,869,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The US is a southern latitude country for the most part. Most people don't take Vitamin D supplements during the winter, that is easily solvable.
Can you clarify why you say that the USA is a "southern Latitude" country if the USA, in its entirety, is in the northern hemisphere?

Old 08-23-2018, 05:15 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,485,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not sure what you mean by the latitude comment. And...you may get your Vit. D. in a pill form, but I was referring to how that type of weather can affect one's mood, it can be depressing to some individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area