Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 12,743 times

Advertisements

In the weeks leading up to my move to SLC from Atlanta, I referred to this board several times to find information on schools, neighborhoods, and in general, life in Salt Lake City.

I have a non-LDS friend here who also moved here from Atlanta. A few weeks ago, I asked him a question that many newcomers may wonder. I asked, "Do you feel a strong LDS influence and do you feel out of place as a non-LDS in Salt Lake City?" His reply was, "Do you feel out of place in Atlanta as a non-black person?"

It was an interesting way of putting it. Of course, my response to him was, "No, we all just blend in here." And he said, "Well, here in Salt Lake City, we all just blend in too."

I moved here five days ago. I've encountered people in hotels, grocery stores, coffee shops, neighborhoods, school tours, the gym, and various other venues. If anything, I have encountered more people than an average individual would in a five day span, since I am aggressively trying to get planted here and am thoroughly exploring my new surroundings. If this helps anyone wondering about the "noticeability" of the LDS influence, I can honestly say that in the five days I've been here, I have no idea if I have met someone of the Mormon faith or not. I'm sure I have, but my point is, no one has asked what faith I am since I have been here, nor have they told me their faith choice. No one has tried to convert me, no one has knocked on my door to share any religious materials, etc.

My initial impression is that this city is as diverse in its humanity as any other city; and an added bonus is it's astounding in its natural beauty, it's filled with respectful, clean people, and the downtown is far more liveable than most cities' downtown areas.

I could not be happier with my choice to move to Salt Lake City. This is a really misunderstood and mis-perceived state. But, perhaps that misperception keeps it one of the best-kept secrets for the rest of us to enjoy!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Sunshine,

I'm so happy to hear that your first five days have been good ones. Was it you who brought some sunshine to the state? We've had rain almost every day until... I guess it was about five days ago! Anyway, welcome to Salt Lake. Let us know how things are going once you're settled in.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
Welcome! With an attitude like yours, you are bound to fit in anywhere you live. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,456,443 times
Lightbulb People Find What They are Looking For, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1269 View Post
In the weeks leading up to my move to SLC from Atlanta, I referred to this board several times to find information on schools, neighborhoods, and in general, life in Salt Lake City.

I have a non-LDS friend here who also moved here from Atlanta. A few weeks ago, I asked him a question that many newcomers may wonder. I asked, "Do you feel a strong LDS influence and do you feel out of place as a non-LDS in Salt Lake City?" His reply was, "Do you feel out of place in Atlanta as a non-black person?"

It was an interesting way of putting it. Of course, my response to him was, "No, we all just blend in here." And he said, "Well, here in Salt Lake City, we all just blend in too."

I moved here five days ago. I've encountered people in hotels, grocery stores, coffee shops, neighborhoods, school tours, the gym, and various other venues. If anything, I have encountered more people than an average individual would in a five day span, since I am aggressively trying to get planted here and am thoroughly exploring my new surroundings. If this helps anyone wondering about the "noticeability" of the LDS influence, I can honestly say that in the five days I've been here, I have no idea if I have met someone of the Mormon faith or not. I'm sure I have, but my point is, no one has asked what faith I am since I have been here, nor have they told me their faith choice. No one has tried to convert me, no one has knocked on my door to share any religious materials, etc.

My initial impression is that this city is as diverse in its humanity as any other city; and an added bonus is it's astounding in its natural beauty, it's filled with respectful, clean people, and the downtown is far more liveable than most cities' downtown areas.

I could not be happier with my choice to move to Salt Lake City. This is a really misunderstood and mis-perceived state. But, perhaps that misperception keeps it one of the best-kept secrets for the rest of us to enjoy!
Sunshine 1269,

Great post. Tried to rep you and can't so this is next best.

You make a great analogy, for those who live elsewhere and wonder what life will be like in any other state with which they are not familiar. Finding something similar at home and asking if residents there feel X, given a population of y, in that location.

I think people who approach with your positive attitude are going to be much happier any where they live. That being said, I'm glad you brought your positive outlook on life to UT.

And yes, many people let myths and misunderstandings remain, as they don't want UT or other states in the Intermountain West overrun with people moving in at a faster rate than is currently happening.

Welcome.........hope you enjoy yourself in SLC.. The burbs aren't bad either.

MSR

Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,979,581 times
We do try to keep it a secret, but sometimes the misconceptions are just too strong and the need to defend our state pops out!

So glad you are enjoying yourself in Utah! I have no doubt Utah is enjoying you, too!!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times
It's interesting that people seem think moving to UT is like comming to a new bizarre planet where the laws of physics don't apply and religious fundamentalism is somehow pumped into the air we breathe.

I've lived all over the west and UT feels a lot like the rest. It's definitely still America.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,509,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's interesting that people seem think moving to UT is like comming to a new bizarre planet where the laws of physics don't apply and religious fundamentalism is somehow pumped into the air we breathe.

I've lived all over the west and UT feels a lot like the rest. It's definitely still America.
Well I've lived all over the U.S. and I find Utah feels very different from anywhere I've lived before. Religion is infused into everything including politics, the culture, etc. It reminds me of when I lived in a Muslim country in that way--the religion, the culture, the politics are all intertwined.

Honestly, 5 days? I mean, basically this person has been here less time than someone who comes on vacation, yet everyone is saying how great this opinion is while on another thread slamming people who post their impressions after only being here on vacation. So it's only OK to post your opinions after a few days if they are positive?

I love UT. And I do agree it's underrated gem. But I find the "it's just like every other place" thing to be totally wrong in my opinion and think people should understand they might not find it to be like other places. For some that's ok, for others not.

Of course this person wouldn't know if someone is LDS by walking into stores They aren't wearing a tattoo on their forehead. It's about a difference in culture and belief systems, not looks!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Well I've lived all over the U.S. and I find Utah feels very different from anywhere I've lived before. Religion is infused into everything including politics, the culture, etc. It reminds me of when I lived in a Muslim country in that way--the religion, the culture, the politics are all intertwined.

Honestly, 5 days? I mean, basically this person has been here less time than someone who comes on vacation, yet everyone is saying how great this opinion is while on another thread slamming people who post their impressions after only being here on vacation. So it's only OK to post your opinions after a few days if they are positive?

I love UT. And I do agree it's underrated gem. But I find the "it's just like every other place" thing to be totally wrong in my opinion and think people should understand they might not find it to be like other places. For some that's ok, for others not.

Of course this person wouldn't know if someone is LDS by walking into stores They aren't wearing a tattoo on their forehead. It's about a difference in culture and belief systems, not looks!
Sure there are differences, but every corner has the same fast food places, everybody looks the same, all the politicians are corrupt, everybody speaks the same language (Spanish ) and the traffic is just as lousy as everywhere else. It isn't very different at all.

And you feel like you live in a muslim country? Does the leader of the prominent religion here dictate your life and the affairs of the state? Do you get stoned for adultry? Do you see people stop what they are doing 5 times daily, get on the ground and pray in the direction of temple square? Give me a break

I'm not into the whole mormon thing but I don't feel a huge effect. Apart from place names, I never even think about it. Why can't this forum get over mormons and talk about Utah instead. The friggin' mormon "holy land" is in Missouri for god's sake and the majority of Mormons do not live in Utah.

Do people actually fear walking down the street in Salt Lake because someone might come smile at them and try to give them a book of mormon OR shun them like the plague for being an unbeliever? It's NEVER happend to me. In fact, I got a TONS more religious solicitations when I lived in Los Angeles than Salt Lake. Rant over

Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,456,443 times
Question Living vs. Visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post

frogandtoad,

Moving is different than a vacation. Most people stay in hotels, rental condos etc. during vacations. Moving to a real neighborhood and trying to actively interact with new neighbors is different, IMHO.

How long did it take you to feel whatever you felt in the various places you've lived?

MSR

Old 06-26-2009, 12:06 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,509,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Sure there are differences, but every corner has the same fast food places, everybody looks the same, all the politicians are corrupt, everybody speaks the same language (Spanish ) and the traffic is just as lousy as everywhere else. It isn't very different at all.

And you feel like you live in a muslim country? Does the leader of the prominent religion here dictate your life and the affairs of the state? Do you get stoned for adultry? Do you see people stop what they are doing 5 times daily, get on the ground and pray in the direction of temple square? Give me a break

I'm not into the whole mormon thing but I don't feel a huge effect. Apart from place names, I never even think about it. Why can't this forum get over mormons and talk about Utah instead. The friggin' mormon "holy land" is in Missouri for god's sake and the majority of Mormons do not live in Utah.

Do people actually fear walking down the street in Salt Lake because someone might come smile at them and try to give them a book of mormon OR shun them like the plague for being an unbeliever? It's NEVER happend to me. In fact, I got a TONS more religious solicitations when I lived in Los Angeles than Salt Lake. Rant over
You have a VERY skewed view of living in a Muslim country. They are not all the same you know. I lived in a Muslim country in sub-Saharan Africa. No one gets stoned. No one gets shunned for not being Muslim. No one has to wear head cover or a burka. So you can keep your and maybe broaden your horizon to include Muslim countries other than the ones mainly in the news at the moment.

Yes, it does feel like the Muslim country I lived in in the sense that the politics and culture were intertwined with religion. If you turn on the local news or pick up a local paper, it's all connected. And yes, the religious leaders here are very much intertwined with the politics of the state, there is very little separation here.

I don't get solicitied to be LDS much in SLC (only one woman who is incessant about it, but she's the only one). Nor was I solicited to become Muslim abroad. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the "vibe" here and to suggest there is no religious vibe in this town is just not correct imo. There is. It does not take away from SLC being a great place. I love Utah. But part of living in UT is understanding you will be dealing with a cultural and social scene which is completely unlike anywhere else I have lived (and I've lived a LOT of places). Or you can find a niche which is very much like everywhere else in the U.S. If that's the route one chooses, I again liken it to living abroad. It's like being an ex-pat. If you assimilate, it's very different from other places. If you don't, it's kind of like most ex-pats.

Fast food restaurants? Yeh, everywhere has them. But that's not what makes a place the same or different to me. It's the churches every two blocks. It's a million interactions.

Like I said, I think this is a great place. But just as I'd say the reality of moving to UT includes being able to deal with heat and snow, it's also about being able to deal with a different flavor of culture.

And here's my big question to everyone who keeps saying it's the same. Why keep insisting it's "the same"? What's wrong with different? Why deny the differences? Why not have more pride in the differences?

Last edited by frogandtoad; 06-26-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area