Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:20 PM

52 posts, read 166,730 times

Advertisements

The draw of inexpensive housing makes sense, but only if there is concurrent economic opportunity to be found, and Ogden doesn't appear to have much to offer someone freshly arrived from Somalia with no higher education and limited English, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 PM

20 posts, read 109,302 times
In the Trolley District Historic Neighborhood, demographics shifted like this:

1990 - 33% of population living in poverty, 18% of total population hispanic
2000 - 25% of population living in poverty, 48% of population hispanic

Interesting trend. More well to do and more latino. We exchanged deadbeat white folks for working latinos. I would prefer that my neighbors be working and productive than wasting away on the dole.

Ogden is 5 years into a 30 year rejuvenation cycle. Its getting better everyday!

America's Best Bang-For-The-Buck Cities - Forbes.com

Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Nobody has said anything worth believing. I was born in Denver, Co. There is way more crime out there than there is here in Ogden. I have lived here for 5 years and have had plenty of opportunities to see the "crime side" of Ogden. Shootings are rare(but becoming more frequent). Murder is pretty low. But the gang activity here is becoming out of control. Thet have recenly made laws that prohibit " Ogden Trece" affiliated members from coming into conact with eacother.,I would say Ogden has more crime than SLC. And when size of the city's are compared, there is more crime for the pop. But overall Utah is sill the Morman state and Ogden isnt bad.. It will never be Chicago, Denver, or Compton. lol

Old 02-26-2015, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,305 times
Unfortunately the blogger failed to mention the the Business Depot Ogden (BDO), the largest and most prestigious business park in Northern Utah is located in Ogden. BDO's aerospace, recreation, information technology and back office businesses employ nearly 6,000 people.

Downtown Ogden boasts the new Junction entertainment center, historic 25th Street, convention center. In addition downtown is flourishing with businesses like MarketStar, Corporate Alliance, Purch (an international IT business), Rocket Lawyer, many regional and accounting firms and numerous emerging App and Software businesses. Also, did you know Ogden is home to the offices of the Big Sky Conference?

Ogden is also home to Weber State University with a student body of over 26,000 students.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Ogden View Post
Unfortunately the blogger failed to mention the the Business Depot Ogden (BDO), the largest and most prestigious business park in Northern Utah is located in Ogden. BDO's aerospace, recreation, information technology and back office businesses employ nearly 6,000 people.

Downtown Ogden boasts the new Junction entertainment center, historic 25th Street, convention center. In addition downtown is flourishing with businesses like MarketStar, Corporate Alliance, Purch (an international IT business), Rocket Lawyer, many regional and accounting firms and numerous emerging App and Software businesses. Also, did you know Ogden is home to the offices of the Big Sky Conference?

Ogden is also home to Weber State University with a student body of over 26,000 students.
Did you notice that the OP in this thread was written six years ago?

In any event, I wrote a post pretty much agreeing with him about that same time. I think it might be worth commenting on Ogden now that six additional years have passed.

The new Ogden Mall is much different than the old one. I notice a virtual absence of any retail outlets. Instead, what we have are restaurants, movie theaters, the Children's Museum (which relocated from a building a few blocks away), office buildings, apartments, and condominiums. Overall, its a nice development, but indicative of the changes that have taken place in the community.

Revitalization of Twenty-fifth Street continues. There are now several quality restaurants located here. Most of the other businesses on the street appear to be antique shops.

The area around the LDS Temple is much nicer. The entire temple has been remodeled and re-dedicated. New apartment buildings, primarily for seniors, surround the temple. Some ugly older homes around the Ogden River have been torn down and replaced with nicer housing. A new playground has been built.

IRS has expanded its operations in inner city Ogden. A new Walmart store stands at about 20th Street and Wall Avenue. A new six story juvenile courts building has just been completed in this general area.

All in all, the last six years have seen considerable improvement. Is Ogden a place that a family should now consider relocating too? I would still say "no". There are too many negatives. The public school system is still very deficient compared to most of the rest of the state. The absence of any real shopping in the core Ogden is still glaring. The two hospitals and best medical care continue to move southward in the county. Ogden's crime rate is not high compared to big cities. It is high for most of Utah. There is way too much dilapidated housing from 12th Street on the north to 36th Street on the south. The only semi-nice area to live in this whole area is east of Harrison Boulevard in the foothills.

The inner city population is heavily Hispanic and this is reflected in business names and the types of many businesses that exist. I think its fair to say that a higher percentage of people illegally in the USA live here than in other Utah communities.

Ogden is a community that is worth watching. It has not arrived at where it needs to yet as a place for families. However, an impartial observer would have to note that the community has made a huge effort to improve itself within the last six years.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to report in a decade that Ogden is a great community to live and raise a family. I will be keeping my eyes open. Incidentally, that will be about the time I retire and probably leave Ogden for good.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
There will always be people that defend their homes and communities; however, Ogden does have some of the worst neighborhoods in all of Utah.

We're not talking Watts, Detroit, and NO (7th - 9th ward) but for Utah they are no go zones for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area