Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 AM

759 posts, read 3,690,908 times

Advertisements

We are in the very beginning stages of planning our kitchen remodel. We live in a nice neighborhood where homes hold their value... our kitchen is 20 years old and just needs to be redone. It might be as simple as painting the cabinets, adding granite, a backsplash, and new appliances. OR we might demo the whole thing and start from scratch. We're just not sure. We're about 6-7 months from beginning this project. I'd like to bring someone in to talk about different ideas and options.

For our backyard, we hired a landscape designer who spent time with us, listening to our needs and wants, and then she drew up plans for a backyard design, for a fee of course. Then it was up to us to implement this design. Is there anyone who does this for kitchens? Ballpark on the price?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 AM

413 posts, read 742,263 times
Homearama on Broadway just outside of 410. If you have a nice house, DO NOT just paint the cabinets. It will look horrible. New cabinets will run you anywhere from 5,000 to 25,000, obviously depending on the size of your kitchen and the quality of the materials used.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
There are kitchen designers out there. I can't recall how I found them, but I had a few come over to give us general ideas. I didn't end up contracting with any of them for a design as their initial ideas were not that appealing to me (standard suburban kitchen layout in a very much not standard suburban style home, just didn't work). The initial consults were free. That was before I really knew people in my area. Now I'd ask the neighborhood architects for recommendations, since they work with designers who deal with our kind of houses.

Anyway, yes, there are designers. Ask around from others who've redone their kitchens, styles you like.

In the end we went with a local cabinetmaker/artist whose ideas kind of dictated the design of our kitchen though he didn't actually design it. it's still a work in progress.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Homearama on Broadway just outside of 410. If you have a nice house, DO NOT just paint the cabinets. It will look horrible. New cabinets will run you anywhere from 5,000 to 25,000, obviously depending on the size of your kitchen and the quality of the materials used.
Quoted for truth! That place has great cabinets at prices about half of what I anticipated. For sinks and other misc. hardware you can't go wrong with Ferguson's.

I'm getting ready to remodel my 1992 kitchen - the whole thing. Tile, cabinets, granite, appliances, wallpaper (out) / plaster (in). Cabinets came from Homearama. Tile I got from Emser (if you're not a contractor you may have to go through a dealer), and appliances I bought online. You should seriously consider buying appliances online. No taxes if out of state + free delivery is very common these days. Granite - not sure where I'm buying from. I'll shop around after the cabinets are in.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM

915 posts, read 1,905,042 times
I knew what I wanted and had an architect design it. It was very handy knowing which walls & spaces could be changed. We were able to steal unused space. The architect made sure the contractors were building to specs and dealt with all the hassles associated with them.

I bought all of my appliances online and saved 1000's over the local offerings of the same.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM

413 posts, read 742,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Quoted for truth! That place has great cabinets at prices about half of what I anticipated. For sinks and other misc. hardware you can't go wrong with Ferguson's.

I'm getting ready to remodel my 1992 kitchen - the whole thing. Tile, cabinets, granite, appliances, wallpaper (out) / plaster (in). Cabinets came from Homearama. Tile I got from Emser (if you're not a contractor you may have to go through a dealer), and appliances I bought online. You should seriously consider buying appliances online. No taxes if out of state + free delivery is very common these days. Granite - not sure where I'm buying from. I'll shop around after the cabinets are in.
For granite, there's a little shop in Fredericksburg:
Phil Jackson's Granite & Iron Store

Pricey, but if you have a nice house, it'll make it really stand out. It's

Another great money saver is cabinet handles and drawer pulls from IKEA. They are often the same design as what you'll find at high end stores, but at a third of the price. They're even cheaper than Home Depot.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM

759 posts, read 3,690,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
For granite, there's a little shop in Fredericksburg:
Phil Jackson's Granite & Iron Store

Pricey, but if you have a nice house, it'll make it really stand out. It's

Another great money saver is cabinet handles and drawer pulls from IKEA. They are often the same design as what you'll find at high end stores, but at a third of the price. They're even cheaper than Home Depot.
Awesome! I think I may leave work early and drive by Homearama.
Love the Ikea suggestion!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:45 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
Delta Granite was one of the places recommended to me for granite, but I only have experience with a bathroom project. It's a small order (20 sq ft) so just getting a quote was a challenge. In the end I went to Lowes since they were easiest to work with and price wasn't a whole lot higher. For a kitchen you'll probably have a lot more places wanting to work with you since it'll be a much larger order. They had a nice selection, but you may need to call in and make an appointment. Likewise for Ferguson's if you choose to get a sink, fixtures or whatever there. At both places people do really know their stuff.

For granite in order to get a quote you'll need to bring in rough measurements for what you'll need BTW.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Try tere: Floor and Decor Outlets of America and http://www.flooranddecorinstalls.com/
There's a location on Bandera and 410 and it's all floor related (tiles, laminate floor, etc.). There are also free how to clinics on Saturdays and there's more customer service help than going to say a big box place that has many other departments.
Good luck!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 PM

239 posts, read 442,508 times
I know this is an older thread but im pretty sure there are people on here that are needing kitchen remodels. I've had GREAT experiences with UB Kitchens in Austin in the past. I understand Austin may be a bit far for some to travel for a big project like this but the owner at UB told me they are about to open up a San Antonio location in either May or June of this year and it's gonna be in Alamo Heights. Here is their website: www.ubkitchens.com . I've been through this kitchen process before and it is a huge investment (in both time and money). Whoever you chose please make sure the people putting your kitchen together for you know exactly what they are doing! Another tip do not go for the "this guy is the cheapest" this almost always comes back to bite you. Do it right the first time and be done with it. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio