Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM

11 posts, read 24,826 times

Advertisements

I would totally let you learn on my SI, but someone else would have to teach everything to you, LOL. I swear I'm the worst at explaining things.

Good luck!
priscilla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM

31 posts, read 73,571 times
^Lol I can relate to that. I'm terrible with explaining things at some points. Everything just gets clustered in my head, which is why when I want to learn something I do it myself.

I finally found a cool guy who's a car enthusiast at my school who's going to let me practice in his Subaru WRX STI and my ex-girlfriend is going to reinforce my skills as well. I'll let you guys know how my first experience is! I hope it's gonna be a good one

Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 PM

11 posts, read 24,826 times
Ohh. You'll love that Subie power.

Keep us updated. I'm sure you'll learn within a couple of hours.
priscilla

Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephlurry View Post
^I've had the luxury of driving a friend of mine's 350z for an entire month. It has great low end torque, but enough drags for me. I want to try something new and exciting twisting and turning @ the highest level of speed i can maintain and the RX-8 roars like a beast with it's high revs!
well with my suspension mods, a stock rx8 can't hang with me in a corner

and it does roar, but it also consumes gas like no other while roaring.
while in the market i test drove the rx8, maybe fun on a track, but again not nearly as fun on the everyday streets. lemme know how that renesis engine is treating you at 100,000 miles

and have fun with the wrx, that'll launch as soon as you let the clutch out thx to awd.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 PM

^Haha I learn in approx. 4 more hours. Yeah the 350z sounds great, but I think i prefer the RX-8 - It sounds like no other . The R3 series that i'm going to purchase has urethrane foam injection suspension as well as high performance bilstein shocks and sports tuned suspension . I plan to add a catback/borla exhaust and possibly k&n or rb intake so that should add a around 12~ more hp to cut those corners even faster. With proper maintenance i believe the renesis engine has the potential to last up to over 100k. Someone i know has already 40k clocked and no net loss on RPMs.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Report back! Let us know how it goes. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 PM

GUYS I AM BACK AND LEMME TELL YOU. DRIVING STICK IS THE MOST THRILLING EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

And my dream of not stalling the first time ever came true! . I learned how to upshift (clean and smooth no rockyness), downshift (a little bit rocky with the revmatching), reverse, slow down with the brake/clutch/gears, take sharp uturns coming from a immobile position (without stalling), and merging from a yield sign.

We went ahead and started on an actual road with other cars instead of a parking lot to boot! I was able to drive in busy parking lots, off roads, country roads, access roads, through intersection lights (i stalled once and several times more after but not in the middle of the road), and also on the highway back home . I did this all under 2 hours, which included long shifting with a really unforgiving clutch (that thing had so much pressure on my foot).

Guys as I have said this was one of the best experiences of my life. On top of that, we hit some really curvy country roads and he gunned it through the corners tearing up the pavement and drifted at a dead end back on onto the turn around. It was such a high paced adrenaline-pumping experience and I recommend any automatic transmissions users to at least try this once in their life.

I'm going to be practicing a bit more and I hope I feel safe enough to drive it off the lot. I haven't had the luxury of practicing on a hill, but he gave me a tip to use the e-brake then right before taking off, to disengage the e-brake as soon as you launch. Seems a bit intermediate but once I get a feel for the pedals more I think I'll be able to do this!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Yep, it is fun. I love how fast it takes off. How much gas is saved. I also never learned to downshift. I just slide it in neutral and once I want to speed up again I put it back in an appropriate gear. That took some time to learn. Going in 4th, throw it in neutral, slow down and then are unsure if it should be in 2nd or 3rd when ready to speed up. But sooner or later you just learn.

I also don't blame you for blowing off Soviet if you had a chance to ride with an ex-girl of yours instead (did you after all?) but I would have definitely taken up pzilla's offer for "extra lessons" lol

Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I'll stick with my hemi and slushbox

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Yep, it is fun. I love how fast it takes off. How much gas is saved. I also never learned to downshift. I just slide it in neutral and once I want to speed up again I put it back in an appropriate gear. That took some time to learn. Going in 4th, throw it in neutral, slow down and then are unsure if it should be in 2nd or 3rd when ready to speed up. But sooner or later you just learn.

I also don't blame you for blowing off Soviet if you had a chance to ride with an ex-girl of yours instead (did you after all?) but I would have definitely taken up pzilla's offer for "extra lessons" lol
Lol, I didn't want to blow off Soviet, but there are absolutely no car rental agencies in SA that rent manual transmission anymore. My lesson with my ex-girlfriend will be on Sunday, but I think it won't be really much teaching - more touching up since I've just learned in a friend's subie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio