Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,983 times

Advertisements

I talked with the agent from Phyllis Browning on Sunday about the MCM at 349 Mary Louise. I told her about the online discussion over whether it was a O'Neil Ford or not, and asked if she had any additional info. She said that it was first listed as a home by Emmitt Tuggle, and that someone called up Phyllis herself and asked why Ford wasn't mentioned. To make a long story longer, they have determined from talking with the Karam's daughter (original owner), that Tuggle worked for Ford in the 50's-60's. Ford's office was commissioned by the Karam's to design the house which supports Googie's memory of seeing notes addressed to Ford.

It is common in most architectural firms for an architect (here, Tuggle) besides the partner to be assigned the actual production of the drawings. Sometimes this "project architect" will even stamp and sign the drawings. The partner, however, will review and may be completely responsible for the design. We may never know how involved Ford was with the design, but it's obvious his influence was incorporated. I know the home was featured in the 1960's in the newspaper (Express News?) after it was completed, so my next step is to continue my search at the library.

I wonder, though, how this house should be classified. Since Tuggle (who later was president of the local AIA), worked under the auspices of Ford, can it be called an O'Neil Ford house? Or should it be listed like they do some paintings, ex: "from the studio of Botticelli"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I talked with the agent from Phyllis Browning on Sunday about the MCM at 349 Mary Louise. I told her about the online discussion over whether it was a O'Neil Ford or not, and asked if she had any additional info. She said that it was first listed as a home by Emmitt Tuggle, and that someone called up Phyllis herself and asked why Ford wasn't mentioned. To make a long story longer, they have determined from talking with the Karam's daughter (original owner), that Tuggle worked for Ford in the 50's-60's. Ford's office was commissioned by the Karam's to design the house which supports Googie's memory of seeing notes addressed to Ford.

It is common in most architectural firms for an architect (here, Tuggle) besides the partner to be assigned the actual production of the drawings. Sometimes this "project architect" will even stamp and sign the drawings. The partner, however, will review and may be completely responsible for the design. We may never know how involved Ford was with the design, but it's obvious his influence was incorporated. I know the home was featured in the 1960's in the newspaper (Express News?) after it was completed, so my next step is to continue my search at the library.

I wonder, though, how this house should be classified. Since Tuggle (who later was president of the local AIA), worked under the auspices of Ford, can it be called an O'Neil Ford house? Or should it be listed like they do some paintings, ex: "from the studio of Botticelli"?
Hey, great detective work! As for that 60's newspaper article, I briefly glanced at it while looking at the house a few years ago, can't recall if it was from the SA Light or the Express (as we had two, count 'em TWO, major newspapers back in the day)? I bet the current owners have a copy though.

It definately has the Ford "look" though, kinda like Lake-Flato. They always have that signature look although they have several architects on staff, and Lake and/or Plato are not always directly involved with every single project, but help with direction, etc.

In terms of the art world, might be more like a Mark Kostabi (the famous, or infamous rather, artist who has his employees at Kostabi World paint "his" paintings in the "Kostabi Style")?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 52,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I really like the Mid-Century Mod architecture, but I'm having a difficult time locating these types of homes in SA. Does anyone know of any neigborhoods that may have this type of home or anything modern looking?
I am trying to sell a 70's retro contemporary custom for less than $200K, but there does not seem to be any way to let the people that would be interested know this unique home is available.
At the same time, I would like to find a replacement mis century contemporary, and cannot find a good search strategy to find one to buy.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Post mid-century?

These pics are of the home my Mom needs to sell, originally part of a family compound, custom built for the patriarch and his wife. More Retro seventies, says agent Chris Bond, who showed it a couple of times.

Its near SW Research
Attached Thumbnails
Mid-Century Modernist Homes-town-briar-loft-dining-view.jpg   Mid-Century Modernist Homes-town-briar-living-room.jpg   Mid-Century Modernist Homes-town-briar-master-bedroom.jpg   Mid-Century Modernist Homes-town-briar-front.jpg   Mid-Century Modernist Homes-town-briar-bath.jpg  

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
[quote=legreenart;1923256]These pics are of the home my Mom needs to sell, originally part of a family compound, custom built for the patriarch and his wife. More Retro seventies, says agent Chris Bond, who showed it a couple of times.

Its near SW Research[/QUOTE)

Maybe you should add the MLS listing number for those interested.
I know I saw it listed in the paper a few weeks ago and looked it up, but don't remember the listing number anymore.

Good look, a REALLY nice looking home for sure! LOVE all the light!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Default mid century/ 70's retro

Have not been able to get online for days. The listing number for my Mom's house on Town Briar is MLS# 676789. There is an open house tomorrow 2-5 p.m. If anyone goes by, I'd like to hear your comments.

The pyracanthia is full of red berries, so the fall landscape colors are showing off.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legreenart View Post
Have not been able to get online for days. The listing number for my Mom's house on Town Briar is MLS# 676789. There is an open house tomorrow 2-5 p.m. If anyone goes by, I'd like to hear your comments.

The pyracanthia is full of red berries, so the fall landscape colors are showing off.
As in TODAY, SUNDAY...or Monday for the open house?

If it is today, I would sure like to stop by and see it.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Wow...VERY nice house. We made it to the open house and it is a very interested home...very, very open floorplan. Wonderful deck off the master bedroom loft area, great terrace areas....Ithe use of rock throughout the home was beautiful. I am really glad we got to see such a interesting floorplan and home!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
I looked at it online, and yes, it does look like a great house! Did you get any offers today? I love going to open houses, but we didn't get a chance to check this one out. (we're not buying anyway, I just like to get a peek)

Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM

23 posts, read 93,926 times
Speaking of O'neil Ford, check this one out now on the market in Austin

O'Neil Ford home goes on the market for $5.25 million (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio