Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times

Advertisements

Drink beer (just dont drive afterwards)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
@allenk893 I totally sympathize with your issue. This city can get really boring really quick if you do not have a group of friends to help keep you entertained.

After you have hit all the touristy spots (if they even appeal to you) the entertainment is pretty sparse.

This isn't a city for young black professionals, unless maybe you are raising a family. While I enjoy outdoor activities like fishing, canoeing and camping these aren't activities I do day in and day out. Most people suggest parks and what not for things to do, while that is refreshing and a great chance to reconnect with nature it just isn't the same.

Live music here is pretty non-existent if you are into R&B, neosoul, hip hop, and jazz. There are however a couple of thriving spoken word venues, both featuring some really good talent. You have 2nd Verse (2nd Friday of every month) located at Continental Cafe over on the east side near Ft. Sam Houston and also Soul Sessions held in Tost Bistro every Thursday evening which is north central. There are black clubs here, but the variety is lacking.

There is a large cultural adjustment to make moving here. The black population is rather small and it's reflected in all aspects of entertainment. There are a few small (I mean it when I say small and few) festivals throughout the year...

I would check out the two spoken word spots listed above if poetry is your thing. If not, you still may want to come and socialize and see where and what other black people are doing in the city. You HAVE to absolutely network here to find things to do, as they are far and few in between. You have the Carver Cultural Center as well, they have some really good performers there. Grammy winner Esperanza Spalding was there last year (if you are into jazz), the great Savion Glover stopped through and many other great shows take place here...the Carver Center is a definite jewel. I don't know your gender or age, but check out Meetup.com for some groups specifically geared toward black people.

Sneaker Palooza is coming up on March 13th over at the Witte. If you like hip hop the consummate performer/lyricist Talib Kweli will be in attendance. There will be a b-boy/b-girl competition as well, so throw on your Adidas track suit and practice your uprock .

Good luck!
Nailed it. These are my issues people. These are my frustrations. I could not agree more with this.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Alot of you are suggesting drinking beer. I don't drink either! I don't smoke, I don't drink, is there anything else to do besides smoking and drinking?! My God it's like wow. I got more than 5 beer suggestions. I don't do beer. I don't hang out at pubs and stuff.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
People seem to be bagging on the OP, yet the overwhelming majority of responses tell him to leave SA to find things to do.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Alot of you are suggesting drinking beer. I don't drink either! I don't smoke, I don't drink, is there anything else to do besides smoking and drinking?! My God it's like wow. I got more than 5 beer suggestions. I don't do beer. I don't hang out at pubs and stuff.
you don't have to drink.

A more productive question may have been "where can I find ______ music?" or whatever specific thing you're looking for.

i forgot to mention Luminaria March 12. But again, it's downtown

Old 02-25-2011, 01:17 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
I guess I'm nonplussed...some seem to be directing the OP to "black specific" events/happenings. I'm of German heritage, and I can enjoy Fiesta with the best of 'em - or about anything else. Could it be that part of the issue is one of perception - that it must be geared towards a certain ethnic culture in order to be "of value"?

I have friends from a diverse background heritages/cultures - black, hispanic and asian - German, Japanese, Mexican, Spanish, Danish, African-American, Black American, etc. Each has their own to offer and embrace - half the fun is finding all the different ways to spend a relaxing day/evening!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Ok. I like everyone's responses so far but a lot of you are suggesting hunting? Let me establish the fact that I'm black. We do NOT hunt. Lol. For entertainment purposes or to eat. We buy our food at the grocery store.
Actually, I was the only one to suggest anything regarding hunting - and I've got news for you....you may not hunt, but there's a whole passle of black friends of mine that'd beg to differ with ya! If you've never tried target shooting, give it a try some time - it's not only challenging on several levels, it can be a lot of fun! In fact, I'll take it one step further - if you'd like to try it, I'll supply the guns and ammo - just say when and where (or suggest the area of town and I'll let you know the location of the nearest range). I buy most of our food at the grocery store...but there's just something about knowing that anyone kickin' the door in at this home won't like what they find......

Old 02-25-2011, 01:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,856 times
I'm always amazed by the "what to do" threads as the general category of things to do is the same everywhere with regional substitutions.

A recent weekend consisted of:
Thursday - Had rodeo tickets
Friday - dinner with friends, downtown
Saturday - Farmers market, walked down the Riverwalk a bit with dog, Rodeo again
Sunday - bike ride on salado creek greenbelt

Are you involved with any of the local museums? Most have some vibrant (primarily) social membership levels. See Witte Museum in particular.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
Quote:
Hmmm.........well I guess there is no hope for you then

Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Just for starters San Antonio Current - Browse Calendar (http://calendar.sacurrent.com/calendar/browse.asp?whatTypeID=08&timebase=1&city=all&IMAGE 4.x=17&IMAGE4.y=15 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio