Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 PM

14 posts, read 32,129 times

Advertisements

Looking at promotion with my company based in San Antonio. Can anyone tell me about the middle class African American community in SA? Is there one? From what I've read, the great majority of progressive AA look to move out of SA? I'd like my family/kids to grow up in a community where the best of all cultures are represented. I've read a lot of the great German and Hispanic culture there, but not much about any other cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI48221 View Post
Looking at promotion with my company based in San Antonio. Can anyone tell me about the middle class African American community in SA? Is there one? From what I've read, the great majority of progressive AA look to move out of SA? I'd like my family/kids to grow up in a community where the best of all cultures are represented. I've read a lot of the great German and Hispanic culture there, but not much about any other cultures.
German culture in SA? lol
Maybe youre thinking of New Braunfels?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
German culture in SA? lol
Maybe youre thinking of New Braunfels?
Someone needs to go back and review the history of SA, especially in the mid-1800's....

OP, San Antonio doesn't have "pockets" of different ethnicities so much as "pockets" along economic lines. With regards to AA's wanting "out" of SA - I doubt that. Some folks will like SA, others won't - I think it's going to be more of a personal thing than a racial issue. I have no idea as to where you heard your information, but I'd be really suspicious as to its' accuracy.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM

yes, I did hear aboiut New Branfels and Stone Oak????? I guess I should be more clear and say the SA area.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 PM

thanks, I guess I should clarify... I've not heard any bad news about SA regarding racial issue or anything like that, and that's not what I'm wanting info on.... I'm looking on info re: AA community event for famiiles and kids. What's the level of activity of the AA post grad fraternities sororities in the community? Is there a Jack & Jill Chapter?

What's the entertainment venues like for traditional AA culture (Music R & B/Soul, Concerts, Plays, etc...)

Last edited by MI48221; 07-25-2011 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: add-on

Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
I was invited years ago by and African American friend to attend Events4 with her. There were AA's of all educational and financial levels and they came from all over SA to attend. It was the most beautiful church and the most beautiful service, because of the people that called this their church.

I say that because maybe you can view their site and find something around the church to have answers or guidance for your concern.

Home

Old 07-25-2011, 11:35 PM

717 posts, read 898,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI48221 View Post
San Antonio has never really been known as a city that is popular with AAs. Whites and Mexicans are by far the most dominant presence in the city. A lot of blacks I've met who live in SA but are not from the area are usually looking to get out, often to Houston or Dallas where the black population is much higher and more concentrated. People might not like me saying that but it is what it is.

I'm not aware of any part of town where black professionals are centered. Most upper middle class blacks just mix in with everyone else, and are of course the minority by far in their neighborhood.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Yet SA is home to the largest MLK celebration in the country...

Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 AM

502 posts, read 934,366 times
Why so concerned about race? Everyone fits in in San Antonio. We are not segregated lol Maybe you should visit and see for yourself?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:26 AM

127 posts, read 277,555 times
IMHO San Antonio is not diverse at all. I feel the only group here that is represented is the latino culture and pretty much every other culture is ignored. There is a very small AA community on the east side but that is being taken over by the hispanics. SA is not a good city for AA. Also the Germans left a long time ago. You would think a city of this size would be more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio