Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times

Advertisements

Well, if Bill Miller uses wood, that's news to me. It damn sure ain't on site.

I'm pretty sure that all of their brisket comes from their kitchen downtown and is shipped to the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,434 times
+1 for Augies and Two Bros. (although I'm not a fan of the baby back ribs at Two Bros.) These spots are fairly well known and have good consistent Que, IMO.

Mr. J's BBQ on New Braunfels & HWY 90. Don't let the blighted neighborhood fool you, or scare you. This place has some good Que. Sides are of the soul food persuasion; collards, sweet potatoes, cabbage, potato salad, etc. I'd recommend the ribs; they were meaty, with just the right amount of fat. They come dry with the option of sauce which compliments the meat rather than overpowers it. The smoke is real and on site, their smoker is located to the left side of the building if you have any doubts. This is a BBQ shack in the most literal sense, so don't go in your best pressed chinos and button up. Seating is outdoors at picnic tables or you can choose to sit in the small dining room located on the right side of the building. I'd opt for dining al fresco, the food will keep you occupied enough to not notice the less than ideal view. The surroundings don't bother me personally, it's just as much a part of SA than anywhere else. It takes all kinds of people to make up the fabric of this city, and this spot shouldn't be dismissed because of its location. This is place is worn in and comfortable right where they are...I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,590 times
just got back from having bbq at Bolner's Meat Market. It's pretty good. Far better than any chain restaurant or fast food joint.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
Mr. J's BBQ on New Braunfels & HWY 90. Don't let the blighted neighborhood fool you, or scare you. This place has some good Que.
Indeed! My friend owns the place.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
For ya'll that BBQ youself...be sure to use Post Oak for the wood.

P.S> That's what the peeps in Lockhart use.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:30 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I always asked for the BBQ sauce on the side when I get my po' boy sandwich there. The sauce is little sweet but I don't feel the brisket meat itself is too sweet. To each, his own.

San Antonio doesn't have much to offer in terms of BBQ. The joints that do become popular tend to go downhill like Rudy's. I used to like Rudy's but it just no longer compares to real BBQ anymore sadly.
Good point! I lived about a mile from the original Rudy's and didn't go often. Of course San Antonio has good BBQ joints. I would like to try some pulled pork BBQ in other places though. I'm sure there's plenty other places in Texas with great BBQ! VVV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Just remember, if you need BBQ sauce then it's not real Tex BBQ. Just a little rub, but no sauce.
Yeah Sauce I make myself these days ...on the order of Billy's which I like. Bolner's Fiesta brisket rub is all any amateur needs to beat any BBQ joint in town. Rub it wrap it in foil and throw in oven. If you demand the smoke (mesquite best of course) throw it on the pit. Or allow to smoke when finished in oven. Falls apart and great flavor!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
just got back from having bbq at Bolner's Meat Market. It's pretty good. Far better than any chain restaurant or fast food joint.
We've eaten lunch there a few times been a few years. Yep they have the right spices and do it right.
I don't think you save any $$ buying spices there. But, Wally's or HEB carry their Bolner's Fiesta Spices. These are a must buy:
Bolner's Fiesta Brisket Rub

Bolner's Fiesta Fajita seasoning

Old 06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
RGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
We've eaten lunch there a few times been a few years. Yep they have the right spices and do it right.
I don't think you save any $$ buying spices there. But, Wally's or HEB carry their Bolner's Fiesta Spices. These are a must buy:

Also their chili quick seasoning works great for making tortilla soup

Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post

The problem with that Fiesta stuff it is all seems to have MSG. Both of those products list it in the ingredients right on the linked to page.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
RGJ

I think the MSG scare is a bunch of hooey. I don't think there's been a scientific study to prove it's harmful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio