Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 AM

487 posts, read 992,291 times

Advertisements

Oh boy...I give up. I guess people like to respond before reading the comments.

I NEVER said that the victim is to blame. I said that thieves have no excuse and should be punished. BUT, people do have ways to reduce the risk of being a victim of thieves or rapists by being careful and using common sense. If you definition of careful means carrying a gun, good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:23 PM

29 posts, read 42,595 times
A few points here, but then I am probably done fighting this point, we just have completely different ideas on this matter it seems. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
That is how you are interpreting the advice. No one is blaming the victim.

You said in an earlier post "The equivalent is wearing visible jewelry as a pedestrian in D.F."

This is "blaming the victim". I don't know how else to interpret that. "If you don't want to get robbed, don't wear nice jewelry or have a nice car." That is pretty much exactly what you have said in the above quote. So, how this is not blaming the victim is lost on me. If you could explain how this same logic is not equal to "if you don't want to get raped, don't wear short skirts" I would love to hear it.

Quote:
... What worries me are those eager to shoot others and constantly bring it up even when the topic is regarding vehicle burglaries. Most vehicles targeted are usually unoccupied.
There are also several instances where people attempt to carjack at gas stations and other locations where you have temporarily stepped out of the vehicle. Also, if I were carjacked at gunpoint, the 9mm next to my seat would come out of the car with me and provide some immediate feedback to the person climbing in. This is to assume it didn't greet the turd on the way out.

Quote:
How did this turn from thieves targeting vehicles to intruders in your home? If I was in fear of my life I doubt I would be asking any questions.
How did this conversation turn to only carjacking? I read the thread as titled "Crime stats are making me not want to move to SA", so I am not sure where this idea of only talking about carjacking comes from. I think your exact quote was that "only low-life crooks and vigilantes would immediately turn to violence over items which can all be replaced ... ". Also, amexicano said "the more "bling" you show (whether it's in your person, house or car) the higher the chances someone will target you." I think this was a turning point to the crazy idea that you shouldn't buy nice stuff if you don't want it to get stolen.

Quote:
So do you draw your weapon when they have theirs pointed at you or do you cowardly shoot them in the back as they turn away from you?
Why did they turn their back? Was it to call for their buddy to come help? Was it to grab a/another gun/weapon? Does it matter at this point? Each person has a different threshold of when to pull. Many instances nationwide of pulling on armed turds and them running away. San Antonio had an instance where a CHL holder shot an armed robber in a liquor store. Maybe he was just some vigilante though, shooting an armed robber.

Quote:
I have been a victim before, auto burglary a few years ago, robbed at gunpoint outside a mall when I was a teen, they stole our car when I was a teen too and broke into our house when we were gone.
I am sorry to hear that.

Quote:
On another note violent people are not attractive. Being rough is an attribute usually attributed to the lowest classes and regardless of your income that mentality is a complete turn off.
Where did this come from in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio