Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_commodity View Post
Car Vandelism....hmm that's why I wanted a garage but didn't find much luck. Most of the apartments were detached garages.

Not to highjack the thread but can you hint at the "bad parts of town"? Another poster said " south (if you go far enough, south isnt bad in the hill country), east and west sides"

I'm no expert on this at all because I rarely leave my part of town because there is no need to. All of the shopping and entertainment I need is within a few miles of my home (I'm in the NW side of town). I do however stay away from the southside after dark, parts of the westside and eastside as well. I really do not think any side of SA is completely bad because there are certainly pockets of great areas even within those that are considered "bad". I visited a friend a few years ago who lives on the southside and their neighborhood was lovely with well kept lawns and maintained homes. They told me they've never had any problems but attributed that to a tightly knit community where everyone takes pride in their neighborhood and watches out for each other. You also have to factor in what the definition of "bad" is because it's different dependent upon who you talk to. For me, if I hear gunshots at night (or day for that matter) or my neighborhood is routinely "tagged", vandalized, etc. I'd have an issue with that and move. Does crime never occur in my neighborhood, sure it does, but it is extremely rare and petty and I live in what many would consider an extremely nice and safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
I'm no expert on this at all because I rarely leave my part of town because there is no need to. All of the shopping and entertainment I need is within a few miles of my home (I'm in the NW side of town). I do however stay away from the southside after dark, parts of the westside and eastside as well. I really do not think any side of SA is completely bad because there are certainly pockets of great areas even within those that are considered "bad". I visited a friend a few years ago who lives on the southside and their neighborhood was lovely with well kept lawns and maintained homes. They told me they've never had any problems but attributed that to a tightly knit community where everyone takes pride in their neighborhood and watches out for each other. You also have to factor in what the definition of "bad" is because it's different dependent upon who you talk to. For me, if I hear gunshots at night (or day for that matter) or my neighborhood is routinely "tagged", vandalized, etc. I'd have an issue with that and move. Does crime never occur in my neighborhood, sure it does, but it is extremely rare and petty and I live in what many would consider an extremely nice and safe neighborhood.
That is so true. I live near the intersection of I37 and Military Drive in a very nice neighborhood. According to a previous post, this is an area you should avoid because it's considered an undesirable area. Mostly considered undisirable by people who are totally unfamilair with it. What people always fail to mention when they sing the praises of their wonderful part of town is that even the "good / preferable" parts of town have their pockets of bad areas. So, while no area of town may be completely bad it is also true that no area is completely good either. I have worked on the northwest side of town for almost 40 years and I can tell you, there are a great many parts of it that are undesirable if not dangerous.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
That is so true. I live near the intersection of I37 and Military Drive in a very nice neighborhood. According to a previous post, this is an area you should avoid because it's considered an undesirable area. Mostly considered undisirable by people who are totally unfamilair with it. What people always fail to mention when they sing the praises of their wonderful part of town is that even the "good / preferable" parts of town have their pockets of bad areas. So, while no area of town may be completely bad it is also true that no area is completely good either. I have worked on the northwest side of town for almost 40 years and I can tell you, there are a great many parts of it that are undesirable if not dangerous.
You are absolutely correct SnappyBob. Even in my area, that is considered good and safe, there are pockets within a few miles of my neighborhood where I wouldn't venture out for an evening stroll.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,891 times
Yeah, I've lived here 15 years, 12 of them in the medical center area and have never been the victim of any kind of crime, property or otherwise. My husband did get his car broken into during church at University United Methodist but that's it (and that isn't the medical center anyway).

Choose your neighborhood wisely and take the same precautions you would in any large city and you'll be fine.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,569 times
Near eastside along new braunfels ave south of 35 and MLK to Jstreet park is probably the heart of criminal activity in SA, although police presence is very high there..Alot of crime has moved NE toward rittiman/walzem/the glen ect..Near west in general is poor but has good hardworking people..Further west toward 410 is worse, especially hamilton st and marbach areas, indian creek has can be rough too..South and West sides have some drug and some gang problems in pocketed areas..North side can be bad in pockets also but overall san antonio doesnt compare to America's most violent cities (i.e new orleans, baltimore, detroit, st louis) In SA if your confident and keep to yourself the chances are youll never be a victim of violent crime.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
NEVER been a victim of any crime here in SA....but if you are that concerned maybe you should stay where you feel safe....works for all of us.:shocked

We are the 7th largest city in the nation and I feel VERY safe and comfortable each and every day...have visited YOUR neck of the woods more than once...our kids live in Laurel Md so we fly into BWI....wish I could say I felt as safe when flying into BWI.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Yeah, I've lived here 15 years, 12 of them in the medical center area and have never been the victim of any kind of crime, property or otherwise. My husband did get his car broken into during church at University United Methodist but that's it (and that isn't the medical center anyway).

Choose your neighborhood wisely and take the same precautions you would in any large city and you'll be fine.
maybe you have crappy or undesirable stuff to loot? not personally attacking you, but thieves tend to go for the nice stuff, like my 1994 stock acura integra on mesh rims that they broke into 4 farking times.. in the medical center... and it was behind a building, not visible from the street!!!

or.. how about the korean POS car we owned that was stolen from the medical center?? that car wasnt even running!

how about the bone stock 1995 honda civic on steelies that thieves tried to steal from us... IN THE MEDICAL CENTER!

there is a reason i avoid the medical center much like i avoid bandera county, balcones heights, castle hills, etc etc.

nothing but THIEVES there now.

/all of these break-ins were in different locations, never once the same. medical center has gone to crap!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,891 times
Your personal experience differs from mine. And really, it doesn't sound like you had "quality" stuff broken into. Not personally attacking either but it sounds like your cars were old and "crappy" to use your words - Korean POS? Stock Honda that wasn't running? Doesn't sound like quality to me.

My husband and I both drive vehicles less than two years old and nope,no break ins. We DO take precautions to not attract thieves - we don't leave valuables in our vehicles, both our vehicles fit in our garage, etc.

So. Not a victim here, despite living for years in a neighborhood you claim is crime-ridden and awful. Different experiences.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
I also live in the medical center and never had my car broken into. The only time I had my car broken into is when I lived for a short period of time nearby UTSA that was considered a "safe neighborhood".

I always park my car in the garage at night also.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Never been broken into but then again we do a few things that will keep you safe ANYWHERE:

do not leave stuff out in site to "entice" those searching for something to take
lock our doors and ensure there is NOTHING more than a box of tissues visible
don't do anything to draw special attention to our cars, no special rims, gadgets or sound systems
have an ALARM system on our cars

Deterrents and PRUDENT advice. If you have a specially equipped "ricer" you are just asking for trouble from like minded folks.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: sp. correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio