Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 AM

297 posts, read 729,938 times

Advertisements

And have you seen the people who drive with the foot almost up on the dash? The leg and foot next to the door is like propped up? I cant explain it but you cant have good control of your vehicle driving like that. Or the ones that have the front seat so far back it is in the back seat? Or so low back it looks like they are sleeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 AM

810 posts, read 1,426,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
And have you seen the people who drive with the foot almost up on the dash? The leg and foot next to the door is like propped up? I cant explain it but you cant have good control of your vehicle driving like that. Or the ones that have the front seat so far back it is in the back seat? Or so low back it looks like they are sleeping.
That’s called ghetto driving.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Here's a new one...who backs out of their garage, down the driveway, and out into the street without even looking to see if someone is coming? I know you're in a hurry to get to work, but if you hit me you're not going to get there any sooner.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,157,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Just one question and one question only that I irked me today driving into work...do we not believe in using our blinkers anymore? You know, those flashy things we use to indicate to others that we, the operator, intends a lateral change of position whether a lane change or turn. I don't think I saw a single person use one. I decided to try for myself. I just can't do it. It's just considerate driver in me, I guess.
My parents say that it HAS to be the model year and type of car they are driving...they forgot to add blinkers to it during production ...why else would you not signal your intentions while maneuvering a 2000 lb block of steel at upwards of 70mph+ surrounded by other fast moving blocks of steel...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
I don't even want to think of the outcome if the car is in an accident and the legs are propped up on the dash. Yikes.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
My parents say that it HAS to be the model year and type of car they are driving...they forgot to add blinkers to it during production ...why else would you not signal your intentions while maneuvering a 2000 lb block of steel at upwards of 70mph+ surrounded by other fast moving blocks of steel...
I know. I mean, I like the adrenalin rush of being cut off by someone with whom I had no idea wanted to come into my lane as much as the next person, but I'm running out of "shorts" and patience is wearing thing. But honestly, it's like living in a giant real-life PLINKO game.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I don't even want to think of the outcome if the car is in an accident and the legs are propped up on the dash. Yikes.
Perineum meet dash.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:06 PM

487 posts, read 992,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
LOL. Well, I drove a bus and they told us two seconds behind. They even made us do calculations on how many feet or car lengths that amounts to at certain speeds. When you're going 70, it amounts to several car lengths. You look at when the car in front of you passes some kind of marker such as a light pole and then you count how many seconds it takes for you to pass that same marker. I rarely see semi-trucks following several car lengths behind on the highway which means they aren't following the 2 second rule or any second rule.

The number of feet covered per second going 75mph is 110. The two second rule would require that you follow 220ft behind the car in front of you. The average vehicle is around 15ft, so you would end up driving 14 car lengths behind. I've seen some other rules that you should add a car length for each 10mph meaning that you would drive 7 car lengths behind someone when going 70mph. If a car were to suddenly stop in front of you, people have to take into account that the average reaction time is over a second. At 75mph, you would have already covered well over 110ft before you realize you have to stop. Your actual stopping distance once you've applied the brakes depends on the weight of your vehicle and the quality of your brakes.

So TexasRedneck, you're right in that 2 seconds is not enough for a semi to stop, but I doubt drivers are going to follow 20+ car lengths behind each other.
Of course your math assumes that the car in front of you suddently stops to a zero speed, which is not true either. So, that's why you don't really need that much space behind the car in front of you. If you can see the car ahead of the one ahead of you, then you in theory can react as quickly as the car in fron of you, which would also reduce the space needed in front of you. 3-4 car lenghts should give you enough reaction time at city speeds (45-60mph) if:
- road conditions are optimal (no rain, no debris or construction)
- visibility is perfect
- YOU ARE NOT TEXTING OR TALKING ON THE PHONE and you are paying 100% attention
- your car is in great mechanical condition

Problem in SA is that most people either drive 1 car lengh behind you or the one in front of you is driving 10 mph under the limit on the left lane w/o apparent reason.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM

58 posts, read 127,170 times
no.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Of course your math assumes that the car in front of you suddently stops to a zero speed, which is not true either. So, that's why you don't really need that much space behind the car in front of you. If you can see the car ahead of the one ahead of you, then you in theory can react as quickly as the car in fron of you, which would also reduce the space needed in front of you. 3-4 car lenghts should give you enough reaction time at city speeds (45-60mph) if:
- road conditions are optimal (no rain, no debris or construction)
- visibility is perfect
- YOU ARE NOT TEXTING OR TALKING ON THE PHONE and you are paying 100% attention
- your car is in great mechanical condition

Problem in SA is that most people either drive 1 car lengh behind you or the one in front of you is driving 10 mph under the limit on the left lane w/o apparent reason.
You're assuming that people can see two cars ahead. I drive a sedan and often can't see around a truck or SUV. The car in front of you will react first and you'll react about 1.3 seconds later. During the 1.3 seconds, you have already traveled over 100 ft depending on the speed you're driving. If the car ahead of you had a 1.3s reaction time to the car ahead of it, you're already 2.6s behind in reacting. The state of Texas recommends a 2 second following distance and so does the UK. Other states recommend a 3 second following distance. If you aren't going to following the 2s rule, then at least add a car length for every 10mph you drive.

Murcotts Safe Driving Tip - 2 Second Rule - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio