Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I recall one time at Target, someone was in the limited item lane (I don't remember what Target sets their limit at) with her item count exceeding the posted limit. She waited in line and when it was her turn to check out, the cashier refused to complete the transaction. She ended up throwing all of her items back into the cart and storming off to another lane. It was quite funny now that I think about it since this thread reminds me of that incident.

What did not amuse me was that the manager of the checkout lanes came over and spoke to the cashier about "rude customer service" in front of the others waiting in line. I felt bad for the cashier because she was just doing her job.

This is why people ignore those signs I guess. They feel that customer service "entitlement" matters more than that sign.
It would have been more rude to not enforce the policy.

The thing that drives me up a wall (and this is NOT Texas or San Antonio only) is when a person stands in line, watches the person in front of them check out. Then they get their 10-20-30 items up on the belt, wait for the total to be called out, THEN reach into their purse and pull out a checkbook and start filling it out. This isn't as common nowadays, but you can substitute pulling out the debit/credit card - which they usually have a hard time finding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
It would have been more rude to not enforce the policy.

The thing that drives me up a wall (and this is NOT Texas or San Antonio only) is when a person stands in line, watches the person in front of them check out. Then they get their 10-20-30 items up on the belt, wait for the total to be called out, THEN reach into their purse and pull out a checkbook and start filling it out. This isn't as common nowadays, but you can substitute pulling out the debit/credit card - which they usually have a hard time finding.

I am one of those people who waits to pull out her checkbook. Two reasons:

1. I often get sale items and I want to make sure the right price rings up

2. I never get a bagger so I start bagging my own groceries to help make my checkout go a bit faster. It only takes me a second to write that check...

And yes, I do still write checks. No credit cards for me and I don't trust people with my debit card. Pay cash for everything and I can sleep better at night.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
Did anyone mention:

1. Get off the line. Play with your purse later. Put your your stuff away off the line.

2. Stop yakking with the clerk. Don't care about your life.

3. About checks - next time pay with gold dust like in old San Francisco. We have moved on.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 AM

124 posts, read 174,654 times
They are rude shoppers because they can be and we let them. I don't say anything either and walk out of the store angry. I just don't shop there anymore.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 AM

to Herbrocks, excuse me and I'm sorry are basic manners. How does that irritate you??

Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
One more thing that I dont get.....why does it take 3 generations of a family to go grocery shopping? I can understand if you don't have someone to watch the kids...thats fine. But I always see several adults with one cart for groceries and another cart loaded with small children....what's that all about?

Last edited by txtea; 11-27-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
I feel for checkout clerks, really. In college, I worked in a supermarket...we were often called up front to ring during busy times. Hated every minute of it! By the time people got to the front, they could be tired and aggravated. So I do my best to smile and be pleasant, because I know that they bear the burden of enforcing store policies (and may or may not be backed up).

I try to shop at night...lately, I've been going Saturday night. On occasion, I'll stop by after work, but I'm usually running late already. Can't stand the "let's bring everyone in the family shopping", and the "treat this store like an amusement park" crowds.

I haven't been in a commissary in years, but I remember the aisles being marked for "traffic" in "lanes". It amazes me that HEB has such wide aisles, yet people can block them easily!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM

My pet peeve is when I do say excuse me and they say you are excused or the murmur (I don't know how to spell it: MMMMMHummm or Uh Huh.

Last edited by lotsoflov1232; 11-27-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 AM

464 posts, read 804,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I am one of those people who waits to pull out her checkbook. Two reasons:

1. I often get sale items and I want to make sure the right price rings up

2. I never get a bagger so I start bagging my own groceries to help make my checkout go a bit faster. It only takes me a second to write that check...

And yes, I do still write checks. No credit cards for me and I don't trust people with my debit card. Pay cash for everything and I can sleep better at night.

I also watch the cashier closely to ensure something isn't rung up wrong or twice, which has happened all too often especially when they're chatting with each other about their clubbing experiences from the night before.

Your hesitancy to use your debit card is warranted; while the odds of it being "skimmed" at a supermarket are very slight it can be easily compromised elsewhere. However, checks also contain your account number and your home address....still more potential for identity theft

Paying with your smartphone will be common in a year or two and will eventually replace today's vulnerable, easily hacked debit cards. I just wish we'd get the type of fraud-resistant debit cards they use in Europe!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:33 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
we have been here for 2 years now. we have found Texans to generally be friendly and polite and helpful.

But when you get on the road or in a grocery store the persona completely changes, rude and pushy, wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio