Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

Just go along and play stupid, you don't know what the old sticker date was, request he dismissal and see what happens, they may say approve it. If not you are no worse off then you were before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Revenue generation. Horrific. The whole "inspection sticker" thing is a scam, unless it were about emissions problems, which are usually pretty obvious.

It is in everyone's interest to maintain their vehicle. No need for an "inspection sticker", which creates a needless waste of money.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Revenue generation. Horrific. The whole "inspection sticker" thing is a scam, unless it were about emissions problems, which are usually pretty obvious.

It is in everyone's interest to maintain their vehicle. No need for an "inspection sticker", which creates a needless waste of money.
Sure there is....as can be seen by the folks driving around with headlights/taillights out. They won't even LOOK at 'em unless forced to. But that's true everywhere - not just in SA.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sure there is....as can be seen by the folks driving around with headlights/taillights out. They won't even LOOK at 'em unless forced to. But that's true everywhere - not just in SA.
Well, there goes a valid argument in front of my face.

We should enforce inspection sticker "laws" when there's something wrong with a car. Otherwise, it's revenue generation.

Case in point: driver with an impeccably maintained car with an expired inspection sticker. No citation, leave him alone.

Driver with an expired inspection sticker whose car has tons of problems? Feel free to cite them. Otherwise, leave 'em alone! It's revenue generation!

*goes on angry rant, blood pressure skyrockets, passes out*

Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 PM

431 posts, read 765,851 times
Quote:
Well, there goes a valid argument in front of my face.

We should enforce inspection sticker "laws" when there's something wrong with a car. Otherwise, it's revenue generation.

Case in point: driver with an impeccably maintained car with an expired inspection sticker. No citation, leave him alone.

Driver with an expired inspection sticker whose car has tons of problems? Feel free to cite them. Otherwise, leave 'em alone! It's revenue generation!

*goes on angry rant, blood pressure skyrockets, passes out*
another fantasy land post i see.

if $12.50 breaks your bank you shouldn't be driving in the first place. ask yourself this, when was the last time you checked your rear taillights, horn, side blinker, BRAKES, PARKING BRAKE. etc etc. do you know how many hoopties would be driving around in san antonio without the inspection process. we are luck 50% of drivers carry insurance.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
another fantasy land post i see.

if $12.50 breaks your bank you shouldn't be driving in the first place. ask yourself this, when was the last time you checked your rear taillights, horn, side blinker, BRAKES, PARKING BRAKE. etc etc. do you know how many hoopties would be driving around in san antonio without the inspection process. we are luck 50% of drivers carry insurance.
I check that stuff ALL the time. I watch the blinkers reflecting off other cars when they're supposed to be, test my brights & normal headlamps, watch the glare of the brake lights when backing up to a garage door. It's not that difficult. I can't imagine anyone finding it overly difficult, unless they're completely oblivious to things or simply don't care.

And $12.50 doesn't break my bank, it's the principle. I shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for that. Disgusting revenue generation!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
And $12.50 doesn't break my bank, it's the principle. I shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for that. Disgusting revenue generation!
Right, because the building and cost to maintain all those roads magically appears without coming out of anyone's pocket!

I bet most people waste more money in a month at Starbucks than they pay for their annual inspection. Whinging about it is ridiculous, it's a legal requirement to drive on public roads and if you don't like it, buy your own land and build your own roadways!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Right, because the building and cost to maintain all those roads magically appears without coming out of anyone's pocket!

I bet most people waste more money in a month at Starbucks than they pay for their annual inspection. Whinging about it is ridiculous, it's a legal requirement to drive on public roads and if you don't like it, buy your own land and build your own roadways!
Nope, roads are paid for by fuel taxes. Public roads means WE own them, as in the people, not the bureaucrats. And your Starbucks analogy fails. I choose to overpay for coffee, I never chose to overpay for that sticker.

Oh and it's a free country, so we'll keep on whining, thanks.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger73 View Post
I was given an expired inspection ticket in Arcola, TX. We were driving back from camping and we decided to drive home locally. We saw a police patrol across the road but we just thought he was looking for people speeding. When we passed him, suddenly his car turned around and he signaled for us to stop. We complied not knowing what really happened. He said our vehicle inspection sticker had expired. We apologized and said we will have that fixed immediately. Regardless he wrote us a ticket. We decided to have the vehicle inspected the same day (less than 30 minutes after we received the ticket).

When we drove to the Arcola municipal court a day later, we were told that they cannot waive the ticket because it was more than 60 days and we would need to go to an arraignment a month later. The Arcola attendant said usually the prosecutor would be lenient on people who had their vehicles inspected within a week.

When we returned a month later, we sat in a large room filled with people who had various traffic violations. Strangely, the officer that issued us the ticket was there providing security. The prosecutor asked each individual how they plead. We responded "Not Guilty, Documentation". She than began to review each individual case by case. When she finally called us, we came up and showed her the citation and the inspection. She laughed and said she was surprised how fast we got the vehicle inspected. She said she was going to waive the ticket and we were so happy.

However, things started going downhill from there. When we went to pay the $20 court fee, the cashier questioned why we were dismissed. We responded that the prosecutor let us go. She refused to believe we got waived and went back to the prosecutor. When the cashier returned she said that the prosecutor made a mistake and that we would have to pay $150 (originally the ticket was $168). We were dumbfounded and asked why she changed the ticket status. She said that the inspection sticker was beyond 60 days so we had to pay the higher amount. When we mentioned that the Texas Transportation Code 548.605 states "c) Notwithstanding Subsection (b)(1)(B), the court may dismiss a charge of driving with an expired inspection certificate that has been expired for more than 60 days.", she said we only had two options, pay $168 or pay $150.

We decided to talk with the prosecutor again. She looked sympathetic and flustered and apologized saying that there was nothing she can do other than reduce it to $130. We felt like we had no choice so we paid that amount.

I am still in shock how the cashier had the power to overturn a prosecutor's decision. I do not think she was qualified. Also how everything was handled was very unprofessional. The cashier kept on laughing and gossiping about the people who were paying the fines. I do not think it is good to laugh at the misfortune of others.
Posting that story here at city data won't change anything for you. The system worked exactly the way it should have in this case. You let an inspection sticker expire past 60 days which is beyond "oops, I forgot".

Just pay the fine and make sure you keep the inspection up to date.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Posting that story here at city data won't change anything for you. The system worked exactly the way it should have in this case. You let an inspection sticker expire past 60 days which is beyond "oops, I forgot".

Just pay the fine and make sure you keep the inspection up to date.
I'm sure they are going to listen to and appreciate your lecture, even though it's over two years too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio