Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 PM

17 posts, read 57,495 times

Advertisements

Thank all of you for your replies, and advice... a couple of years ago for work we were in NYC and were living in washington heights, an area that is largely Hispanic. my eldest son was constantly haggled, my brother who was fourteen and living with us, also was teased some of the time my grown men on the streets, it also had a lot of crime,and I saw more drugs living there then ever before.
So when San Antonio was the place my husband was offered, I saw the demographics I was to be honest a little concerned. I wanted to make sure that my children wouldn't feel out of place just because they're skin is lighter or they don't speak spanish.
I also wanted to be sure it was safe, and somewhere good to raise a family.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM

sorry posted before I meant too, we are religious so that isn't an issue at all, and I have no issue with living in a mostly hispanic area as long as it is safe, welcoming, etc...

Old 02-04-2012, 06:26 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I think it's funny when white people are concerned about moving into an area where they are going to be the minority. You know, some ethnic groups have to deal with being a minority in most of the U.S. and they survive. White people make up 26.6% of the San Antonio population, which is a large minority. For minorities, having that large of a percentage of their own people in a city would make them jump for joy.
Why is that funny to you? They have never been a minority before. She was just looking for an insiders take on it because racism against whites hardly ever gets publicized.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich33 View Post
sorry posted before I meant too, we are religious so that isn't an issue at all, and I have no issue with living in a mostly hispanic area as long as it is safe, welcoming, etc...
You would be surprised at the high percentage of transplants from other areas of the country. If you're in NEISD, Boerne, Helotes, or anywhere ealong the 281/1604 corridor, you and your kids will be fine. It's not really about race down here. I'm from a town in MA that is 97% White (Non Hispanic), and I have not experienced ANY discrimination, negative comments at all.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Why is that funny to you? They have never been a minority before. She was just looking for an insiders take on it because racism against whites hardly ever gets publicized.
Are you a non-Hispanic white? If so, then that's probably why you don't understand. It's funny because they are worried about something millions of Americans have to deal with their whole lives. If you think the racism here against people of color is publicized, then you are sorely mistaken. Most San Antonians are completely oblivious to what the smaller minority groups in this city have to put up with. What's even funnier is that while people say that race doesn't matter down here, they are recommending neighborhoods and suburbs that are majority non-Hispanic white.

On another note...statistically, San Antonio is over 70% white because over half of the Hispanics here self-identify as such.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Re L210, I am not saying that I am worried about being a minority at all, Your taking this thread totally off topic. I have simply lived in another state where we were the minority, it wasn't a pleasent experience, so I have no desire to recreate that. It is my kids, fitting in etc that I am worried about, which is why I posed the question like I did, I don't really need to hear your thoughts or comments, since they are neither helpful or wanted. I asked for advice to moving to area, people, welcoming, great areas to move etc...
If you want to rant and rave about race,prejudice and so on and so forth please do it elsewhere.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
Mich33, you will be fine. No worries. I went to a high school where there was a handful of anglos among Hispanics. I never thought about being (lily!) white and made many friends.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Depends on what you consider an issue. This is the only city I've seen where applicants put their religious affiliation on their resumes. I had a supervisor who would only promote people who were part of lunchtime bible study AT WORK. Yes, bible study at work. Also consider that the majority of hospitals in the city ask you your religious affiliation in their first five questions to you. This is also the only city I've seen where residents will slam on their brakes and almost cause an accident while driving past a church so that they can cross themselves.
I've been in the SA area for 10 years and I've never even heard of any such activities. Sounds like you are looking for a problem where it does not exist...

OP. You should have no trouble fitting in, but do be advised that SA is a very Mexican oriented city. Lots of places give PA announcements in Spanish, and signs are often in Spanish in parts of town. I'm a white boy and I've never had any problem going anywhere in the city and getting along with people. Most are quite friendly.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM

40 posts, read 108,658 times
You and your family will fit in just fine. It all depends on the area you move to and visit. There are I agree larger concentrations of Hispanics I guess you can say on the South side and West side. These areas might have some billboards in Spanish. I've never been anywhere where PA announcements are soley in spanish. English first and then Spanish maybe, but never just Spanish. The northside area might be a better fit for your family. The Helotes, Boerne, Rogers Ranch, Stone Oak, Canyon Springs and Cibolo Canyon area. These areas have a great mix of cultures, but have a large concentration of "white" people too. There's also Schertz/Cibolo area but might be too far. You are basically moving into a city that is a large melting pop of different cultures. My kids are in school in the Stone Oak area with kids that are white, black, hispanic, asian, indian, etc. It's a great experience for them, I believe, to befriend people of all different cultures and races.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Are you a non-Hispanic white? If so, then that's probably why you don't understand. It's funny because they are worried about something millions of Americans have to deal with their whole lives. If you think the racism here against people of color is publicized, then you are sorely mistaken. Most San Antonians are completely oblivious to what the smaller minority groups in this city have to put up with. What's even funnier is that while people say that race doesn't matter down here, they are recommending neighborhoods and suburbs that are majority non-Hispanic white.

On another note...statistically, San Antonio is over 70% white because over half of the Hispanics here self-identify as such.
The minute there is a scholarship opportunity for non-hispanic white kids, you will see that you are wrong. Of course that won't happen, imagine the uproar that would create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio