Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:41 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

But if you've "been there, done that" as many of us have, then who's not enlightened? We've chosen to live here, we're not stuck as some claim to be.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 PM

190 posts, read 219,873 times
Generally speaking, the more upper class members of society - the rich - establish the rules and expectations of other classes. I suppose the reality that even those within San Antonio's oldest established wealthy areas - The Tricities - mostly have been confined to this city their whole life speaks volumes.

If they are uninterested in living outside of Texas, let alone San Antonio, how can we expect others to? San Antonio is just one of those places...people are born here and live here their whole lives and really seem to have no interest in anything outside of it.

And you're right, it is experiences, ideas, and cultures from OUTSIDE of a particular area which creates a "hip" or "trendy" environment.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
Right, I agree that it's the outside influences that determine this. New York and L.A. have more "hip" people, probably due in part to their being magnets for international peoples and cultures. On a Texas scale, Austin, Houston, and Dallas (in that order), may attract more hipness due to international influences (for Austin in the form of students, etc.). I would guess that, in contrast, the majority of people who transplant to San Antonio are, like me, financial refugees.

The inability of many Texans to imagine a life outside of its own borders runs deep, and even contrary to its citizens' wishes. I have had a number of students over the years who have heard my stories about life elsewhere, and they have dreamed and mused about studying out of state, and when I ask "Why not?" their response is usually that they are afraid to leave Texas. They don't want to go too far from home. My roommate's students say the same thing. Heck, in white culture, you get the heck as far away from mom and dad as possible!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 PM

925 posts, read 1,228,076 times
I couldn't disagree with you more Hello. I'll leave it at that.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 AM

351 posts, read 1,585,298 times
Hello,

Great post Juneof48!!

Hello8764 wish you would not be so negative about your home. Don't like it, leave. The world is a big place.

Speaking of which, after spending years living as an ex-pat, I can hardly wait till I can come HOME!!!!!

I could live ANYWHERE in the world on what I have managed to put away and the skillls that I have acquired through hard work and diligence in my chosen profession.

I will CHOOSE to make less money than I could in many more Metropolitan places, but I will always come HOME to San Antonio.

Hope you continue to have a wonderful experience June of 48!

crazedchef

Old 09-20-2007, 02:24 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times
Wow, June of 48...thanks for that post. My son just suggested I retire in SA and I said no way...now I am thinking about it. Laid back? Live longer I say. And close enough to all the major cities for faster fun, too. Thanks...

Old 09-20-2007, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 19,375 times
Well expressed Juneof48. I grew up in SA and have lived for 35 years in LA. My wife and I are moving back there in Feb. to live in SouthTown. We are happy and excited about it. I really like all of SA. It seems like a good family town with enough diversity to make it very interesting.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I would guess that, in contrast, the majority of people who transplant to San Antonio are, like me, financial refugees.
!
This statement speaks volumes to me. Sort of like the Gold Strike OUT WEST when people left with bag and baggage to find a new way of life and to escape the oppression of greedy landlords and a nickle a week......and go where a dollar went a long way. Life is freer here because of that.

So, as a financial refugee, there are NO choices??? No opportunities to better yourself? Please explain this to me. Hello....with all due respect, you sound like a victim in shackles. Victims are either people who cannot help themselves, or they chose not to. You hold the key. I don't see you as helpless. And you know me well enough to understand that is a compliment.

My guess is that "majority" you speak of would disagree with being referred to as a refuge.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
Hi wCat, thanks for yours. You're right, I'm not really a victim I guess. It's all about tradeoffs, and as of when I came, here, I was giving it the benefit of the doubt. On the plus side I found friendly people, a generally cheaper cost of living, nice weather, and I can be at the top of my professional game here outperforming my colleagues with my eyes closed and getting the highest raises for it, whereas in CA I would be merely average I guess. On the downside, I do miss the hipness of many in CA, the more all-embracing social values (less sexism helps). So I guess I've decided that until I can move on, because academics unfortunately follow jobs, not cities, so the wait to land in a desirable place can be long, I am better off here, especially if the economy takes a pooper, so I've haven't been complaining as much

Yes, my comment that the majority of people who move here are financial refugees is not founded in empirical data--just my personal observation.

Last edited by hello13685; 09-20-2007 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: made a mistake

Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Hi wCat, thanks for yours. You're right, I'm not really a victim I guess. It's all about tradeoffs, and as of when I came, here, I was giving it the benefit of the doubt. On the plus side I found friendly people, a generally cheaper cost of living, nice weather, and I can be at the top of my professional game here outperforming my colleagues with my eyes closed and getting the highest raises for it, whereas in CA I would be merely average I guess. On the downside, I do miss the hipness of many in CA, the more all-embracing social values (less sexism helps). So I guess I've decided that until I can move on, because academics unfortunately follow jobs, not cities, so the wait to land in a desirable place can be long, I am better off here, especially if the economy takes a pooper, so I've haven't been complaining as much

Yes, my comment that the majority of people who move here are financial refugees is not founded in empirical data--just my personal observation.
Well...I have to agree with you that there is a trade off. It depends on what waters you've had a chance to swim in. Some like being a bigger fish in a small pond instead of a small fish in a vast ocean. The perils of that vast ocean lend in part to that desire to be in smaller and more familiar territory. There may be less variety of fish, and areas that aren't so deep and adventurous to some, but definitely a lot less preditors. Nothing wrong with exploring unknown areas and taking some risks in life......but when it comes to building a home, it just a personal choice. Safe, cozy and friendly is often a common choice. Maybe that's provencial, but it's also human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio