Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:10 PM

82 posts, read 118,286 times

Advertisements

I been in sales for the past 11 years and want to look into a diff career. I'm currently an agent for a major Health Insurance co. working in a call ctr for 5 years now and I am really needing a new change.

Any suggestions what co. to look into that hires and trains?

Any advice I'd appreciate!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
St. Phillips southwest campus offers a truck driving course: http://www.alamo.edu/main.aspx?id=8983 They have different kinds of grants and financial aid available, you can call them to see if you'd qualify for any: 1-866-787-4454[SIZE=4] [/SIZE]

Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXcamSS View Post
I been in sales for the past 11 years and want to look into a diff career. I'm currently an agent for a major Health Insurance co. working in a call ctr for 5 years now and I am really needing a new change.

Thanks
Find a different line of work for a change, driving a truck is not for the weak of heart and not as 'exciting' as the companies want you to believe.
I am a semi truck owner and wife and have been for many years so I actually know what I am talking about.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM

391 posts, read 688,185 times
Quote:

Thanks
Well, driving truck will certainly be very different from a call centre
position. It may turn out to be more of a change than you really want.

Google "new driver turnover", do some reading and realize many before
you have wanted that big change and turned their hands to the wheels
of a big rig only to washout a short time later.

The industry chews up new drivers and spits them out faster than they
can hire replacements.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Head south the where all the oil fracking is going on, companies there will train you and get you your CDL and the money is good!

Good luck! M2

Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM

82 posts, read 118,286 times
I don't plan doing interstate driving at all.
I'm staying local.

I was hoping to get into a good co. like bud, fedex, etc.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
I'm staying local.

That's why a truck driving school would make more sense than going with one of the otr companies that offers training but wants you to work there for several years or pay them back for the training.

One downside to having a cdl is that you can't take defensive driving for any tickets you get, even in your own car.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM

391 posts, read 688,185 times
Quote:
I'm staying local.

A good number of the OTR (over-the-road) drivers who want out of
that are looking for those local driving jobs as well.

You as a newbie driver with zero experience will be competing with
those experienced drivers.

FedEx driving positions will require at least 1 year experience.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times
Drivers have a tough gig but it can be pretty lucrative if you're willing to put in the work and effort. Lots of companies will train you and help you get your CDL but there is a commitment to their company as a result so if you go that route, research the company and be sure to talk to their existing drivers if possible to understand their practices and how they treat their drivers. If you go the driver route, regardless as to how you get in i.e. on your own through a driving school or with a company, be sure that you protect your CDL record with your life. The industry is highly regulated and dings against your record will hurt you. Be sure to pull your DAC report at least once per year. You can get that through HireRight. Your DAC report will have things like driving history (commercial and personal), CDL Employment, drug and alcohol test history, etc. etc. etc. If you are responsible, your DAC will help you where ever you go but if you aren't, your DAC will still go where ever you go but won't help you much. The industry has not had much turnover in the past 3 years because folks are too afraid to leave what they have due to the economy but as more boomers retire, the industry is going to be hurting for drivers big time. Eagle Ford Shale contractors are begging for drivers so that would be a great place to start but if you are looking for a good company locally, I'd recommend Sysco, Sygma, HEB for starters. All have great reputations for being good to their drivers. I'm not a driver but I support the industry as a vendor so I have a little bit of experience with these employers specifically with their fleets. Good Luck to you!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,848 times
Default oil jobs/cdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Head south the where all the oil fracking is going on, companies there will train you and get you your CDL and the money is good!

Good luck! M2
Is there any specific advice you can give me about getting into the oil industry? company names, positions to apply for, in your post you mentioned companies that would offer training and help with getting a cdl, which ones would that be?
I'm ready to get into this field of work and am having a difficult time "getting a foot in the door". Thanks any and all "SPECIFIC" advice is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio