Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzy473 View Post
2010 budget, lots of money for administration, salaries etc., no Santa Claus, no Easter Bunny, not much for water aerobics. The Homeowners seem to be left out of this one. Only pay, pay and pay some more to keep an empty pool and Club House.
Would you mind sharing with us or at least me the salaries for various positions?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Still haven't seen any paperwork to get the assessment rate from $228 (per the CC&Rs) to $257 (amount that has been charged for years). Without that, this year's rate of $264 can't be legal. Sounds like a refund of $29 per year per home prior to 2009 is due to everyone who paid $257 instead of $228 if that paperwork doesn't show up. I know the board has been asked at least twice to produce this paperwork.
This year's (2009) rate was $280. The $264 was last year's rate.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
This year's (2009) rate was $280. The $264 was last year's rate.
Thanks for the correction. I think it needs to go back to $228...as stated in the CC&R.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Wellguy, you've been around long enough to know that April is the key. The attorney is a waste. Voting them out is the most effective way to get anything done. May not see results right away either, as only some of them are up for expired terms.
I guess it's always a Roll of the Dice. We never know if those that come aboard will do any good.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Thanks for the correction. I think it needs to go back to $228...as stated in the CC&R.
Ditto that on $228! Why are they getting raises? I didn't get one this year due to the recession. Heck, they even suspended their 401K match.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Honestly? I saw the job recs (experience/degree/etc) and what was in the budget that you had paid for the positions previously. It SURE didn't seem like "BIG BUCKS" to me. I'm honestly asking if you feel that the paid positions are over-compensated.

And I'm TOTALLY not up to speed on all of you guys' issues, but are the Board Members really wanting to stay on? Can someone give me a quick ("in 100 words or less" ) summary of what the issues are that would necessitate "voting them out" and all the other hullabuloo? Just a simple "they won't do this or this" or "they wanna do this and this". I've tried to keep up with it all, but it's tough!!! We're considering moving next summer, and Westcreek has been on our short list, but Iunno????????
Keep us on your Short List. There will never be an HOA BOD and it's Homeowners' that see to eye as you know. I sincerely feel that some of the anger toward the BOD is the lack of Truthfulness and the fact that they're a little to free with the budget. CC & R's and Standards have been changed to satisfy the BOD and their goals.

The way I see it is that we are consumer's within our own neighborhood. We pay for services that are sometimes not provided. I understand construction on Loop 1604 and the hold up it had on the entrances on Military and Westcreek Oaks. There is nothing better than to drive into a subdivision that is maintained. I'm speaking of medians, monument areas. etc. For some reason we don't get that here, well at least not now. I won't accept the fact that the rain has ceased all landscaping especially when I continue to see kept areas elsewhere.

I hate the fact that I have neighbors' that could care less about their yards and the fact that the problems continue. If there was enforcement of some sort the problems would not continue to exisit year after year. *Right now as we speak I have a neighbor three houses down that has a pile of brush in his front yard. I know for a fact that it has been there since Sunday evening. Has the Standard's Monitor who walks this area failed to see it. If he has was a Courtesy Notice issued? Does the neighbor think that we are in the COSA and that there is a scheduled brush pick up this week?. Better yet does he think his garbage collection company will pick it up?. The HOA Staff needs to be more active in keeping the appearance of the subdivision up. We have people trying to sell their homes and this kind of crap certainally doesn't help them.

I'll shut up and let the others voice their comments / concerns.

Last edited by wellguy; 10-22-2009 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
Good info, thank you wellguy. I guess I just automatically tend to side with the board (understand ~ I don't live there and don't know the issues), because right now I'm on my kids' school's PTA board and it goes something like what I'm envisioning an HOA Board to go thru, something like this; "Board members work their a$$es off, spending hundreds of UNPAID hours doing menial tasks that no one else will do ~ people still complain because it's not what THEY want to get done. You'd GLADLY hand it over to them to do, but they don't wanna do it. They just want you to do what they want you to do, as does everyone else, and everyone has a different idea of what needs to be done."

Clear as mud? But it sounds like the folks on your Board actually WANT to stay on it?????

Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
The board has some arrogant, self-serving and intransigent members. They have also made some very bad decisions. What's the remedy? Voting them out is the cheapest and most obvious, as long as people can wait until next spring. There are other options, but it takes effort and in the case of litigation, money.

The regular attorney charges VWOA $250 an hour. Not sure what the junior guy gets.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Keep us on your Short List. There will never be an HOA BOD and it's Homeowners' that see to eye as you know. I sincerely feel that some of the anger toward the BOD is the lack of Truthfulness and the fact that they're a little to free with the budget. CC & R's and Standards have been changed to satisfy the BOD and their goals.

The way I see it is that we are consumer's within our own neighborhood. We pay for services that are sometimes not provided. I understand construction on Loop 1604 and the hold up it had on the entrances on Military and Westcreek Oaks. There is nothing better than to drive into a subdivision that is maintained. I'm speaking of medians, monument areas. etc. For some reason we don't get that here, well at least not now. I won't accept the fact that the rain has ceased all landscaping especially when I continue to see kept areas elsewhere.

I hate the fact that I have neighbors' that could care less about their yards and the fact that the problems continue. If there was enforcement of some sort the problems would not continue to exisit year after year. *Right now as we speak I have a neighbor three houses down that has a pile of brush in his front yard. I know for a fact that it has been there since Sunday evening. Has the Standard's Monitor who walks this area failed to see it. If he has was a Courtesy Notice issued? Does the neighbor think that we are in the COSA and that there is a scheduled brush pick up this week?. Better yet does he think his garbage collection company will pick it up?. The HOA Staff needs to be more active in keeping the appearance of the subdivision up. We have people trying to sell their homes and this kind of crap certainally doesn't help them.

I'll shut up and let the others voice their comments / concerns.
Wellguy - If there was a notice written by the standards monitor the HO has 10 days to remedy the problem. After that, they get a second notice and another 10 days. And then, probably another 10 days before getting a formal letter. They'll likely get at least 30 days before being sent to the attorney.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Good info, thank you wellguy. I guess I just automatically tend to side with the board (understand ~ I don't live there and don't know the issues), because right now I'm on my kids' school's PTA board and it goes something like what I'm envisioning an HOA Board to go thru, something like this; "Board members work their a$$es off, spending hundreds of UNPAID hours doing menial tasks that no one else will do ~ people still complain because it's not what THEY want to get done. You'd GLADLY hand it over to them to do, but they don't wanna do it. They just want you to do what they want you to do, as does everyone else, and everyone has a different idea of what needs to be done."

Clear as mud? But it sounds like the folks on your Board actually WANT to stay on it?????
Yes, they want to stay on the board. The other major difference is that homeowners have no choice...you MUST be part of the HOA and you MUST pay annual assessments. The BOD can raise the assessments up to 10% annually...regardless of homeowner oppinion. The PTA is optional for individual families.

The HOA creates and edits rules that effect homeowner abilities to do, or not do several things (not saying that is all bad but it does effect people's "rights"/desires around their own homes). The PTA really can't force things on parents who simply choose not to participate.

This particular HOA is operating on an annual budget of over $1 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio