Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM

580 posts, read 1,430,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
As with any big city, there are good areas and bad. I've been out at the clubs in Wrigleyville until 5am, completely safe, and while I could say the same thing about some areas here, in none of them could I walk to the bar, have a few drinks and walk home, hence the ridiculous DUI problem here.
I agree on many counts. Plenty of Chicago is completely safe. In contrast, even some "nice" areas have troubling violent crime rates. I lived for eight years in Hyde Park, home of our president. I think the murder rate there was close to ten times that of my zip code in San Antonio, and I'm nowhere near 1604 and anything. (Yes, I realize that the neighborhoods surrounding Hyde Park are really sketchy, but I had a good handful of friends in HP who were held up at gun point, abducted and brought to ATMS, etc.)

As to the comment about not being able to walk home from any bars late at night in San Antonio: that's just flat out wrong. I do it all the time in my neck of the woods, which is Tobin Hill/Monte Vista. The same could be said for King William/Lavaca and parts of Alamo Heights. The same will soon be said of parts of the Broadway corridor, close to the Pearl. But, I do agree about drunk driving: it's an epidemic here, because people somehow don't understand that they should live where they socialize. (On the other hand, I do know quite a few folks who did the same thing in Chicago.)

For what it's worth, Wrigleyville was my least favorite part of Chicago. (I'm a native of the Chicago area, and I lived in the city for a long time.) Frat boys and sorority girls cause a massive mess there. That whole crowd has even invaded Boystown. Lots of 6th St. in Austin has a similar feel. I felt better at my haunts in Pilsen and Ukrainian Village. Those areas, of course, are much closer in "feel" to parts of San Antonio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
Lived in San Antonio for almost 10 years. Moved back to Montreal, Canada so I understand cold winters and public transportation. First, cost of living is cheap but salaries, even professional, are low. If you are used to buses running every 5 minutes and subways integrated to commuter trains...not San Antonio! I relied exclusively on public transit when I lived in SA. I was in SA from 2002-2011 and by the time I left, VIA Metro transit had greatly improved but can nowhere compare to cities like Chicago , New York or Montreal. Monthly bus passes (adult fare) run $30.00 as opposed to close to $100.00/month up north, but you get what you pay for. City is hot,sunny and humid in summer....no one walks outside! Winter is a piece of cake! Thought I would miss the snow at Christmastime, however this city has wonderfull Christmas spirit and the Riverwalk all lit up is beautiful. It's not cosmopolitan but like a BIG , small town. I miss the people, so friendly!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
Maybe this is a beetje odd-end question, but are the people friendly in San Antonio?

Can you make conversation with strangers?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkr300 View Post
Maybe this is a beetje odd-end question, but are the people friendly in San Antonio?

Why would you want to do that?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,352,875 times
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Why would you want to do that?
EXCEPT with this cat...

Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:

Sometimes a little too much ;-)

"Really, I don't want to be rude, but I really can't stay and chat all day!" goes through my head at times. People are very friendly.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:20 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,169,384 times
Quote:

I don't see why not. People are very easy to talk to here.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,850 times
Default Reasons I love San Antonio

I lived in San Antonio for 7 years, am living in New Mexico currently, and am moving back to San Antonio because I miss it. Things I love about the town: live oak trees, pecan trees, almost tropical climate allows for growing wonderful flowers, long growing season because of the warmth, amazing thunder and lightning storms, the humidity keeps your skin soft, sunny days, incredible Mexican and Tex-Mex food, great Bar-B-Q, laid back attitude, traffic is not that bad for a city this size, 7 city golf courses, Fiesta, the Botanical Gardens, access to high quality medical care through UT Medical Center, multiple colleges including Trinity, UT SA, St Edwards, Incarnate Word, access to excellent country music and dancing opportunities, the Spurs, nearby Hill Country with rivers, parks, and 3 hours to the beach. The Texas economy is booming right now. Low cost of living compared with other big cities in Texas. 1 hour from Austin- enjoy the cool stuff there but don't have to endure the traffic and high cost of living there.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:42 AM

75 posts, read 155,534 times
The "this city versus that city" question has always amused me, and I wonder how anyone who's LIVED in a city could take it seriously. The whole point of a city is that you can walk around a corner and be in a completely different environment. People used to ask me how I would describe Houston, and I would tell them - that it's a million dollars worth of fun - if you've got a million dollars.

Other than that the only dimensions worth comparing between Chicago and San Antonio are - 1) IF you need a job, do you have a good one in one of those locations? 2) Where is the weather better? 3) Which is more scenic?

Given those questions, the first one is up to you and the second and third ones are a matter of opinion - but my opinion is that like Calamity Jane, "I ain't going back to the windy city."

Old 04-03-2021, 08:25 AM

12 posts, read 9,254 times
This town needs central Asians. It is missing Uzbek and Kazakh cuisine which are best cuisines of all Asia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio