Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 AM

188 posts, read 447,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I remember when I lived overseas for a few years (long ago), the desire for Mexican food from S.A. was almost unbearable sometimes! A puffy taco that is done well...sigh! Yum!
I agree. I've lived all over the U.S.A. and I have to say San Antonio's Mexican food cannot be beat! There is no wonder we have a weight problem here (myself included)!
As far as the "puffy taco", when I was growing up in Nevada, the closest thing we had was called Indian Tacos (Native American now to be PC). The local Native American tribe would make a fry bread, which was essentially the puffy part, and fill it with some beef, etc. Pretty good, but more like a sopapilla with meat than a true SA puffy taco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinsa View Post
I can't believe that no one has no one has mentioned Ray's for puffy tacos.

WELCOME TO RAY'S DRIVE INN
I've never had their Puffy's but I have had their Crispy Dogs. I've never eaten at Ray's but I would like to. Someone brought some to go lunch from Ray's and it was Cripy Dogs. I have lived here all my life and never tasted Crispy Dogs. Very unique.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Bandera Cafe has some pretty good puffy tacos. Not as good as Jacala's but they are at least made correctly.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I've never had their Puffy's but I have had their Crispy Dogs. I've never eaten at Ray's but I would like to. Someone brought some to go lunch from Ray's and it was Cripy Dogs. I have lived here all my life and never tasted Crispy Dogs. Very unique.
are they fried, SnappyBob? Sounds intriguing...

Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
are they fried, SnappyBob? Sounds intriguing...
If I remember correctly, they were like little cocktail weenies with a little corn tortilla wrapper that were deep fried. Very tasty. Hot sauce was good also. On the website they showed a plate with 2 cheese enchilades, rice, beans, carne guisada and a puffy taco. That looks like it would be pretty good with a couple of crispy dogs on the side. One of these days I'll go there for lunch. It's a little far and I'm not that familiar with the neighborhood but it's one of those places that should be on the bucket list if you live in SA.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 16,800 times
Hmmm !

Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 PM

359 posts, read 774,122 times
Default What's a puffy taco?

A good time.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 AM

38 posts, read 87,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canella View Post
The Goliad location was North of Brooks AFB a couple of miles on the right. There was another one in a strip mall that had a women's work out center next to it.There was also a Sears across the street. It has been over 30 years since I have been there. The manager of that restaurant in the strip used to give the work out girls free food from time to time, used to make my mom mad!!
My dad used to work there back when Henry Westrup was there. My dad loved that man he was a big influence to him. He started there as a dishwasher, then he became a spooner which meant that he would help in the kitchen with prep. Mr. Westrup saw that my dad moved around and was a hard worker and he became a maintanece worker along with Don. He worked there for 6 years before leaving. According to my father Henry Westrup was the original PuffyTaco maker and no one makes them like they did. We even went to eat at El Tipico hoping to find the same tacos but sadly they were not. If anyone is interested El Rancho ordered their masa for the puffy taco from Alamo Masa Company.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 8,509 times
I have to say that you are not alone with your new found discovery of the puffy taco. I had recently taken a trip to San Antonio and was taken to a place called Henry's Puffy Taco Express. I must say it was one of the best things I've ever eaten and now I'm dying to find a place even half as good where I live.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 AM

53 posts, read 61,812 times
La Palmita had the best puffy tacos, too bad they are gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio