Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times

Advertisements

My Handy Andy memories were at the following locations.

San Pedro close to oblate, wurzbach at the colony, Helotes location, and the basse location, they were all unique in their own way so sad to see them go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 PM

171 posts, read 311,370 times
I grew up near commercial ave and Gillette on the southside. I vaguely remember as a five year old back in 79-80 that the Handy andy off of Pleasonton rd was a Pigglywiggly.

I remember a few years ago that the Handy Andy off of Commerce near OLLU and the one near I-90 and Military were really slow in business. Wondered How they stayed open as long as they did.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 AM

51 posts, read 143,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
After an 86 year run under different ownership Handy Andy's remaining stores are now Arlan's Markets. Six remaining stores in San Antonio and one each in New Braunfels, Schertz and Seguin are now under new ownership.

Read more: Handy Andy's 6 area stores change hands - San Antonio Express-News
Truly saddened to see Handy Andy gone. Growing up in the 50s and 60s I used to go shopping with my grandmother at the Handy Andy just south of downtown between S. St. Mary's and S. Presa. Two things I fondly remember are: 1. Handy Andy paper bags, with the cut out Handy Andy mask printed on the bag. You cut out the mask, attached a length of string and ran all over the neighborhood looking like Handy Andy. Kids seemed to be easier to please back then. Does anyone else remember those bags with the Handy Andy mask?
2. Handy Andy, back then, used to also carry a product in their meat market they called mock chicken legs. As I recall, they were shaped somewhat like a corndog, were on a stick like a corndog, and (if I remember correctly) tasted like a breakfast sausage. I do remember they were delicious. Does anyone recall those mock chicken legs.
One other thing that comes to mind, and I'm not sure if it was Handy Andy, but a lot of grocery stores back then had either red or green sawdust scattered on their floors. Don't know the reason why, but it seemed to be a widespread practice back then. Am I imagining this, or was this really the way it was?
Anyway, I welcome Arlens to the San Antonio area, and plan on visiting them in the near future.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM

61 posts, read 119,166 times
Crossing guards !! Oh man yeah, remember the long poles we used to hold with the stop sign on the end with the Buttercrust girls picture on the back ???

SAFREAK

Old 11-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
My Handy Andy memories were at the following locations.

San Pedro close to oblate, wurzbach at the colony, Helotes location, and the basse location, they were all unique in their own way so sad to see them go.
I used to work at Handy Andy # 1 on Broadway in the late 60's. What a place to work ! We used to have the strip the floors and rewax and buff them every Friday and Saturday, unload all the trucks by hand, check, stock, carry out groceries, and all for $1.36 an hour and was luck to get that.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumblefingers O'Mel View Post
Truly saddened to see Handy Andy gone. Growing up in the 50s and 60s I used to go shopping with my grandmother at the Handy Andy just south of downtown between S. St. Mary's and S. Presa. Two things I fondly remember are: 1. Handy Andy paper bags, with the cut out Handy Andy mask printed on the bag. You cut out the mask, attached a length of string and ran all over the neighborhood looking like Handy Andy. Kids seemed to be easier to please back then. Does anyone else remember those bags with the Handy Andy mask?
2. Handy Andy, back then, used to also carry a product in their meat market they called mock chicken legs. As I recall, they were shaped somewhat like a corndog, were on a stick like a corndog, and (if I remember correctly) tasted like a breakfast sausage. I do remember they were delicious. Does anyone recall those mock chicken legs.
One other thing that comes to mind, and I'm not sure if it was Handy Andy, but a lot of grocery stores back then had either red or green sawdust scattered on their floors. Don't know the reason why, but it seemed to be a widespread practice back then. Am I imagining this, or was this really the way it was?
Anyway, I welcome Arlens to the San Antonio area, and plan on visiting them in the near future.
If I remember right, Handy Andy # 2 on St Mary's st close to Central Catholic High School had wooden floors with the sawdust mixed with transmission fluid to keep the dust in check.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
I used to work at Handy Andy # 1 on Broadway in the late 60's. What a place to work ! We used to have the strip the floors and rewax and buff them every Friday and Saturday, unload all the trucks by hand, check, stock, carry out groceries, and all for $1.36 an hour and was luck to get that.
Where on Broadway was it?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
After an 86 year run under different ownership Handy Andy's remaining stores are now Arlan's Markets. Six remaining stores in San Antonio and one each in New Braunfels, Schertz and Seguin are now under new ownership.

Read more: Handy Andy's 6 area stores change hands - San Antonio Express-News
Anyone know where this location was? I was thinking Evers rd maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Handy Andy is history after 86 years in SA...-handy-andy.jpg  

Last edited by Willsatx; 11-23-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Misspell

Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Where on Broadway was it?
Wasn't the building that was a billiard supply years ago an old Handy Andy location? It's across from where Muntz Stereo used to be. North of Pearl and the old Playland. Maybe corner of Post or Army and Broadway. East side of Broadway.
Quote:
Nope, but it looks to be in the boonies.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, but it looks to be in the boonies.
I'm going to take a stab at it, and guess it was the Fredericksburg Rd. location at Wonderland.

Wasn't that Handy Andy built just before the mall was built? Wouldn't that have been about 1959? The two cars in the picture look to be 1950s models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio