Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
A police officer can absolutely write a ticket whether on private property or not. There are state and local laws that dictate parking lot speed limits, it is actually potentially a test question on the state drivers license exam. Ten miles an hour for those that are curious.

Now, whether or not the local department allows their officers to write those tickets and whether or not a traffic court judge would waste their time with someone challenging it is another story. Just because it isn't enforced doesn't mean it's legal. Are other laws (misdemeanor or felony) not enforced on private property?
Years ago, I asked a cop if parking lots had speed limits and I was told they don't generally enforce speed limits in private lots. However they can write you up for reckless driving, parking in handicap spots, cutting through a lot as a shortcut from one public road to another, and some other offenses I don't remember anymore.

I suppose if someone is actually driving 40 mph through a HEB lot (which is private property) then that is reckless driving and I would agree. However if I am on my own private property and get a speeding ticket, I don't think it would stick in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Years ago, I asked a cop if parking lots had speed limits and I was told they don't generally enforce speed limits in private lots. However they can write you up for reckless driving, parking in handicap spots, cutting through a lot as a shortcut from one public road to another, and some other offenses I don't remember anymore.

I suppose if someone is actually driving 40 mph through a HEB lot (which is private property) then that is reckless driving and I would agree. However if I am on my own private property and get a speeding ticket, I don't think it would stick in court.
Don't you think it also matters what the time of day and the part of the parking lot the "speeding infraction" occurs? I routinely drive fast in the HEB parking lot.....on the far end, where there are no cars parked nor driving. I do it to get to my aisle as fast as possible, whereupon I drive at an appropriate velocity. Did I put anyone in danger? I doubt it, since there was no one there when I was driving fast.

It depends. There's no black and white. OP's story, on the other hand, makes it definitely obvious who was doing the wrong thing.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default But, Why?

You write that you speed through the far end of the parking lot to get to HEB as fast s possible?
What is the rush to get to the groceries inside of HEB ?
Your judgement of what is inappropriate speed does not match the urgency of the purchase of milk or eggs.
Perhaps the need for medication from the pharmacy for an illness ? Someone going the other direction
in this same parking lot with the same thinking only exiting and not see you or time the interchange incorrectly
and hit your car.
There is nothing, of such vast importance inside HEB that merits this sort of thinking or operating of a motor vehicle in a parking area. Regardless of your timing.
Maybe the purchase of a fire extinguisher to extinguish a fire at home ? As fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Don't you think it also matters what the time of day and the part of the parking lot the "speeding infraction" occurs? I routinely drive fast in the HEB parking lot.....on the far end, where there are no cars parked nor driving. I do it to get to my aisle as fast as possible, whereupon I drive at an appropriate velocity. Did I put anyone in danger? I doubt it, since there was no one there when I was driving fast.

It depends. There's no black and white. OP's story, on the other hand, makes it definitely obvious who was doing the wrong thing.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
If I would get mad at every idiot I see, I would be walking rage...
Just watch yourself and your family, and make sure you always count on that someone would act stupid.
Running after the vehicle was not going to bring anything. You could get hit, or get in an argument where fists or even weapons could be engaged.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 AM

34 posts, read 59,205 times
I've lived in several states and have never seen drivers as stupid as so many are here. Seems the irresponsible driving is contagious. Been here less than a month, but I've thought many times that a MVA in San Antonio may end up being the mechanism of my death.

This past Friday, I was in a shopping center parking lot, pulling in, when a guy was going very fast through the lot IN BETWEEN the parked cars, not in the driving lanes. Gave me quite a scare when he shot out of the parking space just in front of me; he was driving a small car, and there was no way to see him ahead of time. Idiotic driving appeared to be the norm in that area. People didn't seem to care about potentially getting into an accident- drive very aggressively and without common sense. I vowed never to get off 410 on the west side again.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieut01 View Post
This past Friday, I was in a shopping center parking lot, pulling in, when a guy was going very fast through the lot IN BETWEEN the parked cars, not in the driving lanes. Gave me quite a scare when he shot out of the parking space just in front of me; he was driving a small car, and there was no way to see him ahead of time.
Yup and that's why I tend to park in a space so I can just drive forward. I already expect this behavior. Doesn't deter me from going where I need to go but doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
You write that you speed through the far end of the parking lot to get to HEB as fast s possible?
What is the rush to get to the groceries inside of HEB ?
Your judgement of what is inappropriate speed does not match the urgency of the purchase of milk or eggs.
Perhaps the need for medication from the pharmacy for an illness ? Someone going the other direction
in this same parking lot with the same thinking only exiting and not see you or time the interchange incorrectly
and hit your car.
There is nothing, of such vast importance inside HEB that merits this sort of thinking or operating of a motor vehicle in a parking area. Regardless of your timing.
Maybe the purchase of a fire extinguisher to extinguish a fire at home ? As fast as possible.
Why? Because I can. I want to get into my parking space as quickly & efficiently as possible and I want to get a move on into the HEB to pick my stuff up so I can get outta there as quickly as possible so I can go HOME & do the things I really want to do. (watch TV, annoy family & rant on City-Data)

If there's a chance that someone won't see me, I won't drive fast. When I say I drive fast in the empty part of the parking lot, I mean the EMPTY part of the parking lot. If they don't see me, I'll see them long before they'll see me.....since they're obviously not looking/paying attention.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Since we have concealed carry here in Texas you never, ever take rocks or knives to a gunfight.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
This idiot had no regard for anyone in that parking lot. She could have killed someone and damn well nearly got us. I dont take to kindly to that.
Sadly, this is what our society is becoming: ME ME ME, and to h*ll with everyone else. People who actually follow rules, exercise caution & discretion, etc are seen as "weak" or "nerdy" nowadays. Good manners cost nothing as they say, but apparently most folks these days are morally bankrupt!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM

410 posts, read 923,799 times
I was driving 7 am Saturday morning on 410 East by North Star Mall. I subsequently had to move to the slow lane as I was travelling the speed limit. I was outnumbered by vehicles speeding past me. I know I should already be used to the traffic, and I guess I am for the most part, but why speeders, why must you drive as if you are so confident your actions won't contribute in any way to a car accident and possibly kill someone?? Drive Friendly Texas. (stepping off my soap box)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio