Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times

Advertisements

To he honest both sides of San Antonio exist.

The other side is simply not making it up but both sides clearly focus on their narrative.

The clerk will count your pennies but the jerk in the parking lot will cut you off. Whichever one is focused on "becomes" San Antonio in our minds.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I've seen both sides. I think the people are generally nice until they get behind the wheel. I hear racist and homophobic comments, but they aren't an everyday occurrence. I only have people count my change out in my hand at the customer service desk at a store or a bank.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM

108 posts, read 241,511 times
The Spurs are the only team in San Antonio and I doubt they are vastly superior to the Knicks this is just the way Spurs fans think. They are a low market franchise regardless of winning to 4 championships they will not get the repect you think they deserve. Why you had to throw the Spurs in this reply doesnt make sense like people moving to San Antonio really care. This city does have a bad rap for crime but so do other big cities, racial tension exists everywhere even in the smallest of towns. I am Hispanic American and I can guarantee you, you can can't escape it regardless of dominance of race.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,646,222 times
I live out in the country and prefer it now. I spent many years living in San Antonio...it's not bad, the people are mostly friendly and nice there. I've noticed a little bit of racist talk here and there, but that is everywhere. Mainly the crowds and the noise or the gridlock on the roads sometimes bother me when I'm in S.A. Maybe that's a senior thing. Big cities can sometimes get on my nerves now, not just S.A., but other cities also.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieut01 View Post
I can't figure it out. Came down here a month ago to enjoy the gorgeous weather, hoping to enjoy some decent culture.

Weather, great. Cost of living, great. People- MISERABLE.

The drivers here are the worst I have ever seen, anywhere, period. And I've lived in 8 states. Adrenaline draining to go for a freeway drive. When shopping recently, I was warned by the clerk to watch my cart, because I was a full 10 feet away, and someone might steal my things. This was at the Dollar Tree! I hear black and white people making angry comments about Hispanics. I hear people saying bad things about Americans in Spanish. Some people won't even look at me or look at me with complete disdain. Even the mailman is rude. This is definitely not the South I'm used to. I'm offended by the attitude in this area, AND I'M COMING FROM NEW YORK!!!

The worst part is, the negativity is rubbing off on me, too. Hope I can hold out until I can move again! It makes me mad, because I think South Texas has so much to offer, but the people are taking it for granted, and some are ruining it.
The problem simply might be that coming from New York, you thought this was going to be some pleasant Southern charm city. That is just a stereotype and we are much more Western than Southern in SA, although being on the border of both there are elements of both, but that is besides the point.

Yes, adrenaline rises on the freeway. Coming from New York, again, you might not be accustomed to be around others with long commutes, to them every second counts, every car length and position is another second closer to home, of course there is no need for this mentality but it exists because of sprawl, welcome to the South.

You will never have to watch your cart at Gucci-B. Dollar Tree, ya maybe so.

Racism runs deep here, fact. Cooperation runs deeper, fact. Even so most people choose to hang with their own, we can all work with each other and that is what counts. Is it different in other places? If so then that is something to aspire to.

I wish people were kinder too, would wave back when you did, and the like even if strangers. This politeness exists on all sides of town in small doses but such folkways have become victims more to general modernity and urbanity than to just San Antonio being hostile to politeness.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
San Antonio, for the most part, is filled with friendly, happy people. However--what a lot of people do NOT GET is that there is a large population of military folks here from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. You're going to have a ton of different backgrounds and cultures going on. I noticed it when we moved here, coming from Houston, of all places. It's not that people are necessarily rude (though some are definitely that) but some folks from other states just aren't as outgoing about their friendliness. There's another aspect that is overlooked--tourists. Talk about rude...yikes!!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM

229 posts, read 473,921 times
To the OP...don't feel bad. I had the same feelings you have and I too have lived a number of places and San Antonio was the worst. I lived there for about 6 years and the last year or so I was just miserable. There were things I did like about it, but when I left, it was a wonderful day!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
Miserable? I don't think so. Maybe the people you hang with possibly?

I hear quite the opposite from my husband's side of the family from California. They don't care for the scenery here, but always make a remark about the friendliness and congeniality of the people.

I can easily strike up a conversation with a stranger in the line at HEB. But I'm weird in that way.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
and btw, have y'all ever driven in Houston traffic? I know we have some idiots behind the wheel here, but driving in Houston scared the crap out of me.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,823 times
While I may not have the same negatives perceptions the OP has, I have to agree on a few tFirst, the drivers here are significantly worse thsn anywhere else I've driven. And two, the people do seem unhappy in most cases. Here in Stone Oak, the people do not smile, and seem generally miserable. It's very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio