Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM

8 posts, read 15,014 times

Advertisements

I have a large number of children and am considering a moved to SA. I live in Plano currently, and I really, really like it here. Having Target 1/2 a mile away suits my lifestyle. I would like to find a similar place in SA if I move there. I live kind of on the outskirts of Plano, so there is very little traffic. I currently live in a 6 bed 4 bath house, 3500 sf. If we move I would like similar to that or perhaps bigger. I have nearly half an acre and would like that again, perhaps up to an entire acre. My children go to public school, and will continue to do so after we move, so good schools are a must (but the BEST schools aren't that important to me, just good. My kids are smart and motivated and will excel most anyplace you put them). I have kids ranging from babies to high school. I have one son that is quite into tennis and would like to be near a good tennis program. I have a few daughters that are heavily into competitive gymnastics and the best gymnastics in the city is high on our list. As far as I can tell the best one is on Vance Jackson near 410. I go back and forth to gymnastics sometimes four to six times a day, so being near to that is high on my priority list. There seems to be a new gym in Stone Oak, Artimov's, but I can't tell if it's a quality place. I am looking to spend around 400,000 if possible but could spend up to a million if it was exactly right. I prefer newer homes but am perhaps willing to do a teardown if necessary or an addition/remodel. My husband would be commuting to the northeast area of the city near the windcrest neighborhood, I believe.

Are there any places there that are similar to Plano? Would I like the Deerfield/Inwood areas or Shavano Park perhaps? How bad would a commute from Stone Oak be to the Windcrest area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
I'd suggest looking around New Braunfels, as well - more likely to find land (chances of finding something like that in the Stone Oak area are slim), and both the schools and athletic programs offered in the area sound like they'd be a good fit.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Coming from Plano, you will find SA a culture shock. Vance Jackson and 410 is like Mesquite or Garland (you get the idea). In fact, a good part of SA is like that. If you want similar feel as Plano, I would also suggest Stone Oak or somewhere off I-10 north of 1604. Shavano Park is also nice and within your budget. Try to stay between 281 and 10 near 1604.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
The commute from Alamo Heights or Terrell Hills would be easier, but I don't know how much housing is available in those cities and the parcels of land aren't that large. There are a few properties on Nacogdoches just inside and just outside of loop 410 with a lot of land, but those would probably be out of your price range. Alamo Heights is San Antonio's old money area. The commute from Stone Oak or New Braunfels would be awful. There is a lot of land east of 281 closer to IH-35 and around the loop 1604 area. Those properties would most likely be in our price range and the commute would be a little easier. With the bad traffic on IH-35, it would probably be quicker to drive the few miles down Nacogdoches from 1604 to Perrin Beitel and then to Windcrest by way of the 410/ih-35 access rd or Austin Hwy to Walzem. It's not a bad drive and you'll be less likely to die in a car accident.

Shavano Park and certain parts of Castle Hills will be alright if you really have to be close to Vance Jackson and 410, but I'm not sure you'll get a lot of land.

Last edited by L210; 12-24-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Sent you a DM...we moved here with 6 kids and LOVED living here....they all had so much opportunity and had such a great time coming back from overseas.

I think this is a great place to raise your kids as long as you are hands on parents....and it is so obvious from your posting and studies of what you need and want that you are that type!!! Merry Christmas and welcome to SA!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
The closer you get to Stone Oak, the more similar to Plano in regards to shopping. Do not expect SA as a whole to resemble Plano....the distance between shopping areas is much greater, and the choice of grocery stores is not comparable - HEB is the only game in town. No Kroger, no Tom Thumb; one Central Market (or are there 2 now) for the WHOLE city. Ditto Whole Foods. 1 Super Target up in Stone Oak, one at 410/I10. No others in North SA.

We moved from Plano 3 years ago...the biggest difference by far is the shopping and distances between shopping areas.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:50 PM

8 posts, read 15,014 times
Thanks for your replies. When you say the commute from New Braunfels or Stone Oak would be awful, I understand there is a lot of traffic. What would awful be? 45 minutes? An hour an a half? I'm just not sure how awful awful is Thanks.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
There are two Whole Foods, one Central Market, a few Sprouts locations, and one Trader Joe's. When you live around the 410 area, all of the stores are close together. I'm less than 10 minutes away from a couple of Targets (there will be a 3rd soon), several HEBs, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, a couple of Walmarts, and Central Market. I also live near a La Michoacana and what will soon be two Culebra Meat Markets. The posters here have turned me off to Culebra Meat Market and I was not impressed with the La Michoacana on Nacogdoches.

I'm about 25 min. away from New Braunfels, but I live a couple of miles outside 410. I'm assuming it would either be the same amount of time for Windcrest since it's near IH-35 or maybe 5-10 minutes more. This is in clear traffic. IH-35 is the most congested highway in San Antonio. Bad traffic can add 20+ minutes to your trip. The time it would take to get to Stone Oak depends on how far away from the highway you live. I once went to a friend's house in that area and it took about 10-15 min. just to get to the highway.

Last edited by L210; 12-24-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio