Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Get a part time job at Taco Cabana to learn Spanish. Although you will learn Spanish the way paisanos speak (Mexican dialect) and not the way we speak here (Tex-Mex dialect) or the way they speak in Spain (Castillian).

Say what? Or better yet...Que-Que?

Paisano means countryman. Unless this person is form Mexico, the TC workers wouldn't be paisanos; and if they were paisanos, why would he be needing to learn to speak spanish?

Personally, I got to Taco Bell to practice my Spanish...Yo quiero Taco Bell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I took spanish in high school because I needed so many credits to graduate.
I figured that it would be an easy course because Spanish was spoken at home.
I quickly learned that the Spanish in class is totally ''different " then what we
speak in San Antonio. For example, where I worked, there were people from
Mexico & certain words like "stamps" they would say " timbres " or for cars,
they would say coche. It's good to learn Spanish from books...but I feel
that you will have it easier with the way it's spoken here. Good Luck !
I had the same experience with Spanish in college, the professor was from Spain. But it seems like mostly the grammar and the verbs are the same, and the nouns vary.

The Rosetta stone program that we're using is Spanish for Latin America, and my neighbor who's helping us practice says that there are some words that are different, for example we were learning boligrafo for pen and she says it's pluma instead. But as long as we can get the grammar and the sentence structure right, then I think we can learn the words that are used here, kind of like someone who spoke British English would be able to adapt to the English we speak here.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had the same experience with Spanish in college, the professor was from Spain. But it seems like mostly the grammar and the verbs are the same, and the nouns vary.

The Rosetta stone program that we're using is Spanish for Latin America, and my neighbor who's helping us practice says that there are some words that are different, for example we were learning boligrafo for pen and she says it's pluma instead. But as long as we can get the grammar and the sentence structure right, then I think we can learn the words that are used here, kind of like someone who spoke British English would be able to adapt to the English we speak here.
This was my experience too, with college Spanish. My first professor was from Mexico and he was very careful to tell us that while he was teaching us "proper" Spanish, that the Spanish we'd encounter in SA would be different and in what way it would be different. Very helpful guy. If anyone is considering taking Spanish at San Antonio College, message me and I can share his name. Super charismatic also and teaches you tons about culture.

Anyway my second professor was someone who had learned Spanish from being married to a Spanish speaker then went on to study and then teach it. I had an easier time with the guy that was from
Mexico.

I felt that my college Spanish classes were helpful but I tried very hard to spend as much time as possible outside of class conversing with Spanish speaking friends, asking for help, listening to Spanish language radio, watching TV in Spanish, trying to read things in Spanish instead of defaulting to reading it in English when I had the option, things like that. I have 2 more semesters of Spanish needed for my degree and I know I am not going to ever become fluent without a whole lot of extra outside study.

My brother, on the other hand, went to Mexico "just for a while", and ended up spending about 6 to 8 months there and returned completely fluent. That would be my ideal way to do it too (immersion) if I had the money to just leave for a while.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Say what? Or better yet...Que-Que?

Paisano means countryman. Unless this person is form Mexico, the TC workers wouldn't be paisanos; and if they were paisanos, why would he be needing to learn to speak spanish?

Personally, I got to Taco Bell to practice my Spanish...Yo quiero Taco Bell.
Thank you but I already know the dictionary definition of "paisanos" and also know the way Mexican immigrants use the word to describe themselves as a group.

You are right, they are not ours, we are not theirs, but they as a group are paisanos.

They also can use the word as a nickname by cutting it down to Paisa (PIE-suh).

I suppose you never heard the joke about Taco Bell and KFC because they don't speak much Spanish at Taco Bell?

Mine was not a joke at all because that is where I learned to speak better Spanish.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
Really you aren't going to learn Spanish unless you go for immersion like in Spain or something like that for a few months, Mexico not a safe place for that though.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 559 times
Default New World Spanish

I tried New World Spanish in Alamo Heights, adn they are good!!!. The teachers are very well prepared and they follow a method. Classes one on one are amazing since you have the full attention of a teacher correcting your mistakes and pronunciation. I have learned in some months what I did not learned in years. Gracias Amigos.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Paisano,

Paisano also means Roadrunner in spanish, here in the southwest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Thank you but I already know the dictionary definition of "paisanos" and also know the way Mexican immigrants use the word to describe themselves as a group.

You are right, they are not ours, we are not theirs, but they as a group are paisanos.

They also can use the word as a nickname by cutting it down to Paisa (PIE-suh).

I suppose you never heard the joke about Taco Bell and KFC because they don't speak much Spanish at Taco Bell?

Mine was not a joke at all because that is where I learned to speak better Spanish.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Not sure if "angieut01 is still around.
But besides the nice information that has been provided.

I would suggest: "adopt-a-friend" that will only speak Spanish to you &
you have to reply only in Spanish on a daily basis...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio