Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater heaven View Post
uhhh.

ive been paying 19.95 for 6/1 from ATT for well over 5 years. every time my promo ends, i call up and get put on a new one. sometimes, they dont even say anything, they just put me on a new promo while im asking why my bill went up.

We have it at the house now, too. I don't think the prices have changed very much either. It's been a good 10 years for us. I just wasn't sure about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,948 times
Never thought of calling AT&T and playing dumb. Our DSL bill went from $20 to $45 one month.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM

52 posts, read 93,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Never thought of calling AT&T and playing dumb. Our DSL bill went from $20 to $45 one month.
i dont even play dumb, i just ask why my bill increased. more often than naught, they put me back on the plan i was on or whatevers new.

a few times ive asked 'well, can i get back on that plan? i can just have my wife sign up and get that rate if i have too'. doesnt even get that far really, they seem more than happy to keep me as a customer.

i would never go back to time warner, no matter how fast and cheap they become.

one thing - if they raised your bill to 45, i would question them as to why youre paying the same rate with them as you would time warner, but time warner would give you 8-10/1 vs 6/1 you get with them. i had to use that line once when my DSL bill went up like yours did. the person answered 'good point, let me see what i can do for you...'. a few minutes later, i was back on the cheapo plan

all you have to do is ask. i never had to threaten to cancel or anything. i just asked nicely and have gotten what i asked for for well over 5 years now.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Well, just being careful playing around with AT&T. My neighbor complained she couldn't watch the Olympic opening ceremony so they dug a giant pit in my backyard, knocked out everyone's service, and left the hole there for 3 months. My connection's randomly dropping out now and I'm terrified to call them.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
My GF called up Time Warner to see what they could do for her regarding two recent increases in the monthly rate for internet. They suggested she buy her own modem (part of the increase was for a monthly charge on the TW-owned modem), and other than that, if she became aware of any advertised promotions in her area, she could call back with the particulars, and they would see what they could do.

With the basic internet/basic cable channels she has (no set-top boxes), it's going to be nearly impossible to find advertised promotions for such low-end service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Do not go with CLEAR. It's unreliable (had it, lived right next to one of their antennas and still hated it). Just google them and read the myriad of bad reviews, bait and switch tactic and overall terrible customer service.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Go with someone else.

BN
You can't make a blanket statement like that, because reliablity and performance of any provider depends upon a number of factors (infrastructure age/condition, distance, number of users), which can vary widely from one neighborhood to the next.

For example, I had U-verse (lowest tier available), but had to eventually cancel, due to instability of the service. Their reading showed me to be right at maximum distance from the node that could allow service to be provided. My neighbor two doors down had earlier failed the signal strength test for U-verse, and had to be denied service. I went to traditional DSL after that (3mbps download - fastest speed offered at my address), but that also proved to be unstable, so had to cancel that, too. But I know people in other neighborhoods where their U-verse or DSL gives them rock-solid performance.

Ironically, CLEAR has proven to be VERY reliable since I've been using it, although speeds can vary widely, depending on time of day...

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 AM

Clear was metering my service so bad we couldn't watch Netflix for more than 20 second spurts. They charged me a cancellation fee that I refused to pay and we fought over $40 for 2 years. I was getting 6 calls a day for months.

Supposedly the people that got in at the slightly higher price were really pleased with the service. The conspiracy on the Clear forums was they were trying to run off the people paying the introductory rate. Who knows... but be prepared to have intricate details of your internet activity shared with the Better Business Bureau if you file a complaint.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
Whatever anyone does, DO NOT ever go with Excede. I feel so stupid I never sign contracts like ever! This time I just wasn't thinking. I guess was just desperate for Internet. It is so awful I have never had a connection like this even on a island in Alaska. It is good for around 5 days when my bill is due then it gets bad. I mainly watch Netflix and like to see news on line but by mid billing cycle I can't see anything. They give me free time but it lasts a day. Then they make me out to be a over user of movie downloads. I am at a point where I may buy out of the contract just to get them out of my life.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM

229 posts, read 423,918 times
I use Clear. Just have the home computer. I have the $50 plan. Spent $50 on a modem. It works Great!! Never have a problem w/it. I think you can get the same kind of deal w/Clear, but with a little modem thing you can take w/you where ever you go. I live by USAA and have no problems in over a year of service. My son was amazed at how fast it was compared to the AT&T internet his dad has. I'm also curious about a less expensive option. I called Time Warner about this $20 plan I saw advertised and they suggested the $50 plan. I really would like to pay less, but it doesn't seem I can do that and still get the great speed I get w/Clear. I'll let you know if I find a better deal.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
I've had AT&T DSL since '06. $30.57 a month...no landline. Never ever had any problems.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 AM

175 posts, read 406,244 times
Well, I am waiting, impatiently! I too do not have a landline, and want a cheap internet service!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio