Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,458,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
SanAntoQT - it's been about 2 years ago that I tried them at Las Palapas, and they were decent. Went thru the drive thru there during Christmas time, and they weren't on the menu, tho. Maybe inside? Iunno. Settled on cheese enchiladas and was quite underwhelmed.
I didn't think they were on the regular menu. I know when I went they were listed as a lunch special on the board.

The place that underwhelms me is Paloma Blanca! Yuk! My old boss swore it had the BEST Mexican food, took us out to eat there and I was definitely NOT impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,557,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I didn't think they were on the regular menu. I know when I went they were listed as a lunch special on the board.

The place that underwhelms me is Paloma Blanca! Yuk! My old boss swore it had the BEST Mexican food, took us out to eat there and I was definitely NOT impressed.
Reeeeeeeally??!! Dang!!! I've only been there once, but I loved it. Funny how that happens, one person can love a place, and another...not so much!

And I think you're right about the fish tacos at Las Palapas being on the board or something. We went there for my son's birthday in Dec. '05. Somebody that my husband worked with is brothers with the owner, if I remember correctly. Otherhalf had been asking around at work for recommendations since son wanted seafood, and the co-worker told him about them having fish tacos. Otherhalf said, "great! We'll be there!" So off we all go (all 11 of us!!). Coworker must have called the brother, cause they already had a table big enough for all of us waiting. They treated us great and I remember we either had to look hard on the menu for the fish tacos or ask about them. We did like them! Anyway, super long story ~ tryin' to make it shorter. When we asked for the check, we were told, "nope, it's already taken care of"! Never could find out if it was the owner or the coworker that "took care of it", but we were definitely impressed with Las Palapas.

edit ~ oh! I think the reason I was "underwhelmed" with the cheese enchiladas recently was because I was craving fish tacos! LOL!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
aaaaaaccccckkkkkk! Bowie! Why did you revive this thread??? Now you've got me salivating!!! (And dear, the seating for The Cove is around the corner from where you order food. The outside seating surrounds the inside seating area. Somebody musta forgot to tell you. Bummer. And while no, the fish tacos there aren't like Rubio's, they truly are some of the best in SA. But I don't think I'd say mine were ever "chintzy", so maybe it was an off day? hmmmm...)
I guess that explains why the server who delivered my food said she was confused that I wasn't sitting at the bar.

These were definitely on the small side. There was maybe a tablespoon of shredded cabbage and the rest of the filling was fish and sauce.

Even though it's cold and windy outside, IMO it's a good time of year to eat fish tacos! Is there a bad time?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:54 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,316,506 times
I don't know much about fish tacos since the only one I ever had was the fish taco at the Cove. It was tasty in a different way but a little to spicy for me. I thought that $3 plus was way too much for one very small taco. I recently had a chicken fried steak at Tip Top and the steaks are getting better than ever... they must have a new cook because the steaks are bigger/better and the chicken fried part is tastier/crunchier/flakier... delicious! The onion rings are the best in SA too.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:38 PM

40 posts, read 166,515 times
Got to say, my wife makes the bomb Baja style Fish Tacos - takes her quite a bit of time to prep, though. She uses catfish, makes her own batter, then all the trimmings, cabbage, diced tomatoes, cream, salsa and lime ...sorry, didn't mean to get anyone's hunger going.

I haven't been too impressed with places we have tried, including Paloma, Rosario's, Mamacitas or Los Perricos. I'm sure that there's some good place out there

Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
If there's a Wahoo's up in Austin, that's pretty good!!
Wow, talk about nostalgia. Wahoo's had the craziest looking restaurant in Costa Mesa. I can't believe they are a chain, and that there is a "fish taco" craze twenty years later. Unfortunately, I wasn't bold enough to try one till I went to maui and wow was that the best taco stand on the side of a road ever.

I think the key element for a good taco is super fresh fish and cooked in a good smoker. It would probably be hard to transport it up here quick enough.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM

9 posts, read 28,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal transplant View Post
Got to say, my wife makes the bomb Baja style Fish Tacos - takes her quite a bit of time to prep, though. She uses catfish, makes her own batter, then all the trimmings, cabbage, diced tomatoes, cream, salsa and lime ...sorry, didn't mean to get anyone's hunger going.

I haven't been too impressed with places we have tried, including Paloma, Rosario's, Mamacitas or Los Perricos. I'm sure that there's some good place out there

Okay, now I'm craving fish tacos. That sounds so yummy. My thing is I don't like my fish to be heavily breaded. Just a light coating. And the cabbage and sauce just makes them so good.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
Y'all need to make your way to Houston and eat at Berryhill's! Best fish taco I ever had.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,520 times
Hi I am new to this forum. If you don't have access o a restaurant that has good authentic fish tacos! You cam make them yourself Here is a fish taco recipe and photos I just posted on my site [url=http://foodluvin.com/2008/06/ensenada-style-baja-fish-tacos/]Ensenada Style Baja Fish Tacos - foodluvin[/url] . Hope you like it!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 AM

6 posts, read 69,661 times
My wife loves fish tacos and her favorite are from Rosarios on S. Alamo. She prefers her tacos to be grilled instead of fried.
Maragaritas are awesome too

www.rosariossa.com

She wasn't too fond of the Cove's tacos. Aldacos are horrible. Can't think of any other ones she has tried.

Once again 2 thumbs up for Rosario's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio