Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times

Advertisements

Since my last post in this thread, I've had some good fish tacos at Clear Springs.

I still haven't found any here in town that I liked as well as the ones I had at Baja Fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 PM

122 posts, read 512,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Believe it or not, guys, I've actually had some at Sea Island Shrimp House. They were quite good. Different, to say the least.
I don't know if anyone has seconded (is that a word) this yet, but my husband, who is Mexican, loves these tacos! He always suggest Sea Island for dinner so he can get them!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:07 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Recently I bought some fish that I had never bought before at Costco's (think it was cod) and it turned out to be in very thin slices. I asked someone in the market how to cook it and she said use Johnny's garlic spread and sautee in butter which I did but I didn't know what to do with it since it was extremely flakey and fell apart. I was making regular meat tacos and it dawned on me that maybe this would be good for fish tacos (I have never made fish tacos before so I just used the same ingredients that I use on the regular beef tacos... lettuce, tomatoes (skipped the onions and picante sauce)... anyway they were delicious and I think the secret was Johnny's garlic spread (actually a combo of spices) and the texture of the fish... really was excellent. Got lucky and now I have a new fav recipe.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:38 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
The fish taco was the appetizer and it was okay especially with the mango salsa but I don’t know about it being close to 10 bucks. Thanks for the reference, I like to try new things. I saw things there that may send me back for something else.

It came with 3 small tacos with just the fish and maybe some spices mixed in with it. along side the tacos was lettuce and a cup of Mango Salsa. Someone at work told me to try Rosario’s.
I dont know about your fish taco's experiences but They are pretty easy to make especially if you have your own unique taste. Personally I use the Tillapia fillets the ones in the blue bag. I season them with lemon pepper the night before. then I beat two eggs untill fluffy then add the yolkes for colloring. after you dipp them in the mixture a bed of bread crumbs flower, and ginger seasoing are awaiting for them. after coating they go right on the pan to fry for a couple of mins. Try the yellow tortillas from HEB they make a world of diffrence! You can add advocado sauce and a little bit of sour cream. or you can dice some tomatoes, onion, cabbage, and peppers drizzle with lemon and salt and throw that on top. Or if youre really wanting to taste the full coast taste do both sauce and cabbage topping. next time I make some I'll take some pics. If you like them Ill give you the recipie.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Recently I bought some fish that I had never bought before at Costco's (think it was cod) and it turned out to be in very thin slices. I asked someone in the market how to cook it and she said use Johnny's garlic spread and sautee in butter which I did but I didn't know what to do with it since it was extremely flakey and fell apart. I was making regular meat tacos and it dawned on me that maybe this would be good for fish tacos (I have never made fish tacos before so I just used the same ingredients that I use on the regular beef tacos... lettuce, tomatoes (skipped the onions and picante sauce)... anyway they were delicious and I think the secret was Johnny's garlic spread (actually a combo of spices) and the texture of the fish... really was excellent. Got lucky and now I have a new fav recipe.
If you want to make fish tacos, always use Tillapia fillets, because those are strong and strudy, the other's crumble up.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
I don't know if anyone has seconded (is that a word) this yet, but my husband, who is Mexican, loves these tacos! He always suggest Sea Island for dinner so he can get them!

Sea Island is good. Good fish! Think they owned the Manhattan Restaurant across from the MAJESTIC THEATER.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... fish tacos!!!!! Since my last post in this thread () we have made it up to Austin to visit Wahoo's!!!! Did NOT disappoint!!! F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!!! And perfect! And funky place! Even better than I remembered from home! For me, it's worth the drive. (OH!!! And PGR ~ Wahoo is a type of fish, hence the name )

Also tried them at Rosario's. Quite decent. Still like The Cove better, tho.

Off to plan a trip to Austin..........

Old 08-09-2008, 06:25 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I dont know about your fish taco's experiences but They are pretty easy to make especially if you have your own unique taste. Personally I use the Tillapia fillets the ones in the blue bag. I season them with lemon pepper the night before. then I beat two eggs untill fluffy then add the yolkes for colloring. after you dipp them in the mixture a bed of bread crumbs flower, and ginger seasoing are awaiting for them. after coating they go right on the pan to fry for a couple of mins. Try the yellow tortillas from HEB they make a world of diffrence! You can add advocado sauce and a little bit of sour cream. or you can dice some tomatoes, onion, cabbage, and peppers drizzle with lemon and salt and throw that on top. Or if youre really wanting to taste the full coast taste do both sauce and cabbage topping. next time I make some I'll take some pics. If you like them Ill give you the recipie.
Your recipe sounds delicious! Yeap, the HEB corn tortillas make all the difference.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:05 PM

181 posts, read 674,401 times
I had the fish tacos at BJ's last night. They were pretty good. I actually had one fish and one shrimp taco. Although they were good, Sea Island's fish tacos are better IMO.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Your recipe sounds delicious! Yeap, the HEB corn tortillas make all the difference.

darn now I'm drooling I'll be going to N. laredo on sunday so when I get back I'll make it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio