Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The best post from that thread...(its still true today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Although as exciting have a light rail system can be, we need to wait until there is a true enough demand to have one. Upon reading your claim, I took the liberty to research how these light rails function and how these would work to our advantage or not. For the most part, a Light-Rail system is the most eco-friendly public transportation system around because it is able to transport hundreds of people at a time with low energy usage. But, the issue is money and demand... unless the TIRZ, or South Broadway/North River whatever project is a true success, I do not see San Antonio needing a light-rail system. We simply do not have enough people who would depend on public transportation across downtown to afford such a system. If we do implement a light rail under status quo, the city would have no choice but to raise taxes or increase our subaverage VIA bus fares. That is a price I am not willing to pay just yet.

P.S. It is great that you are looking for alternatives to make this city better..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:03 PM

437 posts, read 639,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Quote:

This is him later in that thread:
Quote:
I won't hold my breath. FYI I'm for light rail and as long as it went up the Broadway corridor I'd be a frequent passenger.
Well, if I'm not mistaken, much of the route is through Broadway.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Default Walk Tall,

Quote:
Originally Posted by: Shock

Walking,.. still the best exercise... Neither Da Pearl and/or Broadway warrant additional public transportation.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post

Well, if I'm not mistaken, much of the route is through Broadway.

What?

No the route is not mostly along Broadway. It only goes .5 miles out of DT on Broadway. The route basically stays in the part of DT that no one lives in. Someone who lives at the pearl can now ride a train to DT...YIPPIE

This route doesn't connect very many people to their jobs. A 6 mile line down Fred. road from DT to the Medical Center would make more sense. A line down 281 access from a park and ride in Stone Oak would also get used. The issue with this plan is it's WAY to expensive to serve hardly any of the city.

Last edited by rynetwo; 09-27-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Default The Truth and Common Sense Prevail,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo:
This issue with this is it's WAY too expensive to serve hardly any of the city

Old 09-27-2013, 02:13 PM

437 posts, read 639,026 times
Quote:
What?

No the route is not mostly along Broadway. It only goes .5 miles out of DT on Broadway. The route basically stays in the part of DT that no one lives in. Someone who lives at the pearl can now ride a train to DT...YIPPIE

This route doesn't connect very many people to their jobs. A 6 mile line down Fred. road from DT to the Medical Center would make more sense. A line down 281 access from a park and ride in Stone Oak would also get used. The issue with this plan is it's WAY to expensive to serve hardly any of the city.
It's a starter system. It will expand. Have a bit of vision will you...
Are you saying you would rather vote completely against a system that will surely expand despite the fact that you know it will better fit your needs in the long run? Doesn't make sense. It has to start somewhere, and just because it's not down your street yet doesn't mean you have to be against it. That's basically what you are saying.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM

243 posts, read 333,814 times
Quote:
Are you saying you would rather vote completely against a system that will surely expand despite the fact that you know it will better fit your needs in the long run? Doesn't make sense. It has to start somewhere, and just because it's not down your street yet doesn't mean you have to be against it. That's basically what you are saying.
I personally don't mind any system as long as it's funded in advance and does not involve new taxes or fees on the citizens of this city or is self supporting and if you think it is and that you won't see new taxes and or fees then you are very much misinformed as to the reality of this project and the nature of politics in this city.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
I hadn't even looked at the "proposed" route until just now and now I am REALLY laughing. $300M+ and $8M a year for this?? Seriously? I think VIA needs to go back to the drawing board and put a little more thought into this. Can someone, anyone, please tell me who would use this train outside of tourists and perhaps folks living off Broadway coming into downtown?

Hell, having a choo-choo train running from the airport to downtown makes more sense then this proposed route they are planning. At least you'd pretty much guarantee the train would be used.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:

If you are going to put in a system that will not have many riders (lets copy Tampa) then the public will be even more irate it you try to expand it.

They should have started with a line that WILL be successful to gain public trust/curiosity then go on and expand it if it takes off.

Vison? VIA had a vision with BRT and just like another poster stated VIA ****** that up...

Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
"It will expand."

This isn't comforting to those of us who think it's already too expensive and useless. You should probably pick another way to defend the concept.

Putting aside the cost estimate overruns at this point, nobody's even talking about the costs to operate the system, which are in the millions a year. Once it gets up and running and most of us who live here eventually find it doesn't meet our needs, we'll be able to take solace in the fact that it's going to get bigger, become more expensive to operate and, if we're lucky, be less useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio