Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 13,390 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I've lived here in San Antonio for about 4 years, and I love it so we've decided i'd like to rent/rent to own a house finally.
So I'm a young professional, 20 years old live with my fiancee who is 25, have two dogs, yada yada yada. Together, we could probably affoard about 850 to 900 a month on rent or a mortgage.
I'll just ask it up front- is the East Side totally out of the question?
My concern is how bad is it really? From some people I hear "the East side isnt that bad, I grew up there." And for others, it's completely insane for me to ask about moving there.

Apperance wise, I love it. I know some parts are pretty rundown but the houses have so much character- it's not like stone oak where everything looks the same! It's also affordable and close to work.
My question is broad, I get it- but I want to hear opinions and experiences of when any of you or family members have lived there.
Since neither one of us make a lot of money, I'd like to be somewhere affordable. We currently live on the North East side by Perrin Beitel, and we like it but we're in an apartment and we're sick of that already. We plan on moving in a little less than a year.
Any opinions would help. Data and statistics don't tell me much- they're just numbers.
Thanks for reading and please help me make up my mind!
Other suggestions are welcome- I'm learning so I want to know whatever you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times
East Side covers a wide area, is there any area in particular?

I have a number of friends in Dignowity Hill and the Alamo area, and while there are sketchy bits, it's really being transformed and there are some fabulous bits. Government Hill, while i'm not sure I'd call it East Side, is now becoming incredible.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,704,520 times
I've never been one to use maps but I think there is something to say with a visual. You will be able to find character within that price range in most of the areas I have in the black:

These areas encompass areas such as Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Manacke (can't spell it) , upper broadway, lower broadway, southtown (I think...) Lavaca, King William and downtown of course. I live just north of what I think you're looking for so I will let those that live in my highlighted area speak of actually living there.

The Eastside has a pretty hefty and lengthy history of violence. There are gang free zones and several government housing complexes. The area is on the way up and it is home to Dignowity Heights which is a historic neighborhood. It's pockety though. And you will find that with most of the city. I still wouldn't feel safe living down there whereas I wouldn't even think twice to most to the Commerce/Guadalupe area on the westside (if the house was big and restored).

I hope that helped a bit.

Welp, I see Chaka got in before I did. I forgot Government Hill. That area is nice too.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 AM

501 posts, read 949,380 times
The near east side is very up and coming.

You should give these articles a read.

Development creeping into near East Side - San Antonio Express-News

Hays Street Bridge area development Continues despite controversy - San Antonio Express-News

Also, as one of the article mentions, Cherry Street Modern is under construction as we speak.

http://www.cherrystreetmodern.com

Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 AM

437 posts, read 903,287 times
I live in Dignowity Hill and have been very actively selling real estate there for several years. It's a great neighborhood; you guys would love it. I feel perfectly safe day and night. People are super friendly, we pretty much all have dogs and we all get along fabulously. Send me a DM, I'll be happy to give you a your and who kows, you might find a home here.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 13,390 times
This has been an awesome help, all of you! Thanks! Yeah I'm open to different areas, so I'll look into everything put here. Especially with the maps and aritcles- at least now I know where to begin.
Yeah rough around the edges doesnt bother me so much, it's mostly just out right ghetto that would scare me. I'll look in to these.
Any other neighborhoods you would suggest for young professionals?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,891 times
Check out 78201 - it's close to all kinds of stuff, including the medical center. There are affordable homes here in nice, older neighborhoods.

Good luck!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Check out 78201 - it's close to all kinds of stuff, including the medical center. There are affordable homes here in nice, older neighborhoods.

Good luck!
I think the OP was interested in housing on the east side.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I think the OP was interested in housing on the east side.
They also said they were open to other areas.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM

501 posts, read 777,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haushy14 View Post
Any other neighborhoods you would suggest for young professionals?
Guessing the OP wasn't limiting himself to the east side.
While I'm a big enthusiast of the midtown-southtown food/cultural scene, I wouldn't consider relocation for several reasons, this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...residents.html being a prime example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio