Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,692 times

Advertisements

Many cops think they have special authority and they do at a certain extent. I say this as one of my cousin was killed by a cop, as the cop used a taser and my cousin was delicate of the heart. Other similar events are "police TASER stepfather to stop him from running into burning home to save three-year-old toddler who died in fire" and "Police taser 14-year-old boy in the face, break his nose, and “torture"" in the last month.

My point is that cops are not gods and should be punished for not ethically managing the situation, but punishing a cop in court is like punishing a kid for stealing candy... The system is corrupted, since a cop usually gets a short time for killing a person than for example a “normal” person would be sentenced to the death penalty.

In this case just because someone said "oh you’re going to shoot" gives him the right to shot the person and get away with it. For instance, lets image the student had a gun and the cop said "oh you’re going to shoot", I’m sure he would be intensely persecuted if he shot the cop multiple times. But since it was a cop it’s alright in this country. Since cops are not persecuted as harshly or even persecuted at all. This people are criminals and should be punished as any other citizen of this country. But yet no one does nothing about it, even after seeing the law is wrong and after seeing many killings and abuses from cops in a daily basis in this country. People want to look away and say “the person probably provoke the officer, the officer had no other choice”. The system is so corrupted it makes me sick.

*sorry for my grammar, since people are probably going to judge me for my grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 04:47 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
But the dashcam had conveniently fallen off the car. Hmmmm... big supporter of police but this just doesn't feel right.
An incredible coincidence! (Incredible used in its literal meaning here.)

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM

243 posts, read 333,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Or maybe your poor writing skills left open the interpretation that you were stating that things happened the way you had written.

My use of that particular emoticon were to show without a doubt that I was using sarcasm. I find it interesting that you believe it shows immaturity. I also find it telling that you attacked me in that way.

Also, show me two other posts I've made here that use "those little smirky faces you are fond of using" as you say.

I'll check back later to see what you find, because I don't recall ever using one before here.
Maybe you never learned that sarcasm is never a part of any debate. It can be considered a personal attack. I will look back to see if I was incorrect about your use of the emoticon more than this time and if I was not then I apologize for the error on my part. As far as my writing skills that is why I put in the last part of my post "if that is what really happened". Seems pretty easy to understand.
I did not find any more smirks so I do apologizes for my saying you had used them more than once.

Last edited by geargrinder70; 12-09-2013 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 PM

501 posts, read 776,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
If the student was as impulsive to reach for an officer's baton after driving recklessly then that could point to a personality disorder.

Hopefully more is done to screen and offer preventative mental health care here.
Sounds a bit premature to go all DSM-V on this tragic case.
http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Person...ct%20Sheet.pdf

Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb299 View Post
Many cops think they have special authority and they do at a certain extent. I say this as one of my cousin was killed by a cop, as the cop used a taser and my cousin was delicate of the heart.
In this case just because someone said "oh you’re going to shoot" gives him the right to shot the person and get away with it. For instance, lets image the student had a gun and the cop said "oh you’re going to shoot", I’m sure he would be intensely persecuted if he shot the cop multiple times. But since it was a cop it’s alright in this country. Since cops are not persecuted as harshly or even persecuted at all. This people are criminals and should be punished as any other citizen of this country. But yet no one does nothing about it, even after seeing the law is wrong and after seeing many killings and abuses from cops in a daily basis in this country. People want to look away and say “the person probably provoke the officer, the officer had no other choice”. The system is so corrupted it makes me sick.
I'm sorry your cousin died, and while I feel that Law Enforcement is too quick to use the 'less than lethal' alternatives you give no details of the incident in which your cousin was killed leaving me to ask what are the police supposed to do? Ask the suspect if he/she has a condition beforehand? I've never been an LEO but I have been Infantry, and all that training is about teaching you to quickly analyze & react. You hope and pray you make the right decision when the time comes but anyone who has been there will tell you there is very little conscious thought occurring in those split seconds. In the end you have to live with it.

I don't blindly throw support toward the police but in this case your scenario is lacking some detail. According to recent revelations the fact the victim said this probably had less to do with the actual shooting than the fact that the victim had wrestled the officer's baton from him and was assaulting him with it.

Please use logic, not emotion, in this discussion.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:14 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Had the poor, innocent cousin complied with the directives of the officer, he wouldn't have used a taser.

Oh.....common sense, sorry.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Really? What disorder would that be?
Impulsivity is a feature of BPD. So is speeding and other risky behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Sounds a bit premature to go all DSM-V on this tragic case.
http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Person...ct%20Sheet.pdf
Link lazy here so did not click. Anything we should know in that link? Feel free to PM as well and keep in mind DSM-V is widely criticized but I'm not claiming DSM-IV-TR is superior or didn't need an update either.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Impulsivity is a feature of BPD. So is speeding and other risky behavior.
It's also a feature of being 23, and a college student.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
An incredible coincidence! (Incredible used in its literal meaning here.)
I think there should be a strict rule that if a dashcam isn't working, then one is NOT allowed to take the car out on shift. Don't hav any other cars available due to budget problems? Too bad. Better fix that camera.

I really think this would fix quite a few problems.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I think there should be a strict rule that if a dashcam isn't working, then one is NOT allowed to take the car out on shift. Don't hav any other cars available due to budget problems? Too bad. Better fix that camera.

I really think this would fix quite a few problems.
I will start by saying I wish my camera always worked. I wish everything I did happened if the very small world of the exact front of my patrol car in good lighting. I wish the link between my mic and my cars recording unit always worked. I wish that the wind never blows when I am "live" and that my motion didnt make sounds that overwhelm the conversation. I also wish that I knew, every time, when my system stopped working.

Have you ever had technology fail? Have you ever had technology have limitations? Have you ever had to do something away from that technology? Have you the ability to predict, without fail when, what and how that technology will fail?

The point of all of that is, sometimes crap happens. I think most people can agree about that. That isnt a cop thing, this is simply an human experience.

Now for the cop opinions.

So I get a call that a man is shooting children at Taco Cabana....and I cant go because my car video unit doesnt work? I get a call that a man is stabbing his wife in their house and I cant go because my car video unit doesnt work? I get a call that there is a teenager who is suicidal on the roof of a building and wants to jump off, I cant go because my car video unit doesnt work...(I could keep going)

Do you know what those scenarios, and countless others, have in common? Car video wouldnt capture anything anyways. Even the audio probably wont work well. It has a limited range and motion or wind, or echos of indoors tend to wash out most sound.

As a matter of fact, the video unit of a car tends only be useful for things that happen on traffic stops or the rare occasion you get a call and somehow park with the action happening in front of your car.

There are entire agencies that cant afford to equip their cars with video systems. So those people should go without police protection because you have an opinion about something you dont understand very well.

I am trying to get across the point that you (and so many people, I certainly didnt until I learned) dont have an understanding of what the Police actually do and why they do it. You dont have an understanding of the limitations of technology, tactics, training, situations....

I totally get how you feel but it is a feeling without all the facts...and again, please understand, I wish everything I did could be recorded but it is what it is. Police video will exonerate Officers a hundred thousand times before it will get one in trouble. I think that is an amazing testament to just how well the Police do their jobs. It doesnt excuse the one who does wrong but again, simply amazing track record for a human system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio