Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times

Advertisements

So far so good within Standard Pacific tract home. Despite SP pulling out of San Anton and JED taking over their remaining plots and contracts, they've been attentive to my service reqeests (so far). We'll have to see how this pans out of course, over the next few weeks. But I've had a lot of nuances taken care of thus far and am happy with the results.

Of course, it would have been nicer to be involved with the construction phase as I've less than enthusiastic about some of the hardy board lumber used, I'm still happy with the spec home price point (for a 1st home).

Regarding mention of Stone Oak, I heard the property taxes are through the roof over there... anyone living their mind sharing their tax rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
So far so good within Standard Pacific tract home. Despite SP pulling out of San Anton and JED taking over their remaining plots and contracts, they've been attentive to my service reqeests (so far). We'll have to see how this pans out of course, over the next few weeks. But I've had a lot of nuances taken care of thus far and am happy with the results.

Of course, it would have been nicer to be involved with the construction phase as I've less than enthusiastic about some of the hardy board lumber used, I'm still happy with the spec home price point (for a 1st home).

Regarding mention of Stone Oak, I heard the property taxes are through the roof over there... anyone living their mind sharing their tax rates?
What is your problem with hardie product? It is much better than wood in that it will not rot. Ever. Once it is painted you can't really tell it isn't the real thing. In addition - it won't attract termites and holds paint longer than wood.

As to property taxes - current rates are just under 3%...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
What is your problem with hardie product? It is much better than wood in that it will not rot. Ever. Once it is painted you can't really tell it isn't the real thing. In addition - it won't attract termites and holds paint longer than wood.

As to property taxes - current rates are just under 3%...
Nothing at all; I believe you misunderstood me. I had more than a few pieces cut too short (more than a quarter inch from hardie to trim edge) or the edge is shoddy so they covered it up with way too much caulk. Nevermind I have way too many framer nails where they should have been installed on the inside prior to the sheetrock installation.

But those things considered, I'm still a happy buyer.

On a side note... Is hardie board the same as fiber cement siding?

So when you say just under 3%, you're speaking to Stone Oak or avg. for all of S.A? Doesn't it vary by school district (of course I'm presuming Stone Oak is in part Northeast ISD but I really haven't done any due diligence as I'm in no way inclined to move there)?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Harideplank and hardie trim are fibercement board and have a very good reputation.The only problems are when it didn't come primne at first and people didn't prime it properly or they put it down too low to where flooding water could soak it.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 40,662 times
Avoid Armadillo, you will not receive any help at all!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,793 times
Wink Standard Pacific

Have you heard anything positive about the replacement builder for SA? We purchased one of their homes back in September and really like the attention to detail and all, but we are worried about who will build on the remaining lots. We certainly don't want a cookie-cutter builder who builds out just to rent/lease the homes as the neighborhood goes down hill from there.

We submitted our first warrenty request with JED this past week and they showed up today (Mon 19 May) to resolve the problem. WE will see what takes place from here.

We were told by the sales office the new builder would be something like TriStone Builders, or TriPoint Builders and we have been anticipating the construction of their new model in the Santa Maria neighborhood of Alamo Ranch. Hope they are reputable.

Don

Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 AM

19 posts, read 107,504 times
Geez! Sorry! I've been off this post for a while ... been busy talking with our LAWYER!!! Looks like we have a possible fraud case on our hands. Long story short (well, sort of ) - in addition to HORRIBLE finish work thoughout the entire house, shoddy workmanship, and poor quality fixtures, they poured our garage too short! (It's a drop-down tandem - supposed to be two-wide and then extra deep "third" stall on right.) We've been in our house close to a year now and we still haven't gotten this thing squared away. In fact, three weeks ago one of my upper kitchen cabinet doors just fell right off in the middle of the day - luckily my kids and I were all playing upstairs and no one got hurt - just heard the crash. Three weeks later - still haven't come to fix the cabinet. Turns out now the excuse is that Austin Woodworks has let my cabinet guy and two others go - I assume for never showing up, etc. Who knows. Meritage comes up with more excuses than anyone we've ever dealt with. Their solution for a garage "fix" is too jack hammer away part of the foundation - yes, you read that correctly - there is a large "protrusion" of cement (part of the foundation) where they originally had a doorway - until they realized that, duh, you couldn't put steps there cause you wouldn't be able to park a car inthat stall then. Soooo, what did they do? They moved the steps and doorway to the third deep stall buuuuutttt, the foundation is still hanging out too far! Can barely close the garage door. We know the car is in far enough when the license plate touches the cement. Doesn't help that it's only 18 feet wide on top of it in addition to being at least seven inches too short. God help me ..... AUGH!!! Last thing we need is a crack in the foundation from their "fix". Neighbors have problems, too. Should check out the wavey roof of the Meritage homeowner across the street from us. Our problems pale compared to hers. All the many contractors/subs who have come through here for repairs have been more than happy to share stories. Rumor has it that the construction mgr. in charge at the time of our build was a drunk who just up and left one day. Apparently there are several houses built under his watch that have issues. We've been told repeatedly that we should feel oh, so much better now because practially all of the subs who worked on our place are no longer being used - as in "Oh, we don't use XYZ anymore ..." - like that's supposed me feel better somehow?!? Give me a break! So what they basically are telling me is, hey, the people who built your house did a really crappy job, but don't worry cause we don't use them anymore. Whew! Lucky us! Based on my own personal experience, my recommendation is to steer clear of Meritage homes in Cibolo Canyons.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
ALQNS,

So sorry to hear about your issues w/ Meritage. Our experiences (in Alamo Ranch) have been 180 degrees from yours. Of course, there have been a few minor issues with how some of the finishing work was done, but they are being rectified. It sounds like you did in fact get a bad product and have every right to be ticked about it. Please keep us posted about your "progress."

Best of luck,

--Dim

Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM

19 posts, read 107,504 times
Well, hubby spoke to one of the "head honchos" at Meritage this morning - the guy has previously been to our house to look at the garage and was the one who proposed the "fix". Told him we wanted them to buy our "clown house" back. Of course, HH responded with "Well, ya know ... we're not in the business of buying houses back ...." Well, you know what? They shouldn't be in the business of selling houses like ours either. I'm sure they probably do have some nice properties out there (yours included, Dim) but ours is absolutely not one of them. I wish they would just admit that they messed up on this one so that we could all move on. We will be meeting with our attorney again next week. We moved here from out of state and soooo wanted to make this place our home. We have just been beat up one side and down the other. I never could have imagined walking into such a nightmare. I feel like we've been extremely generous with the situation thus far. I don't know how some people sleep at night ....

Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
ALQNS,

Again, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I agree in that an attorney is your best hope at this point. Sometimes that's what it takes, and even then it's not over until everyone has shed a little blood. Hopefully you'll get some resolution soon!

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio