Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times

Advertisements

To the OP: no, it is not clean. Some parts are worse than others.

We came from Houston, a much larger city, yet it is far cleaner overall.

Trash on the roads (littering is huge here), and YES, diapers in parking lots (so gross!) at random shopping centers, and graffiti are common issues.

I live in a nice area, gated neighborhood, but every day my neighbor walks the common areas and picks up tons of trash both inside and outside of the gate. People are freaking slobs. What happened to Willie Nelson and "Don't Mess With Texas"?

I will say that COSA responded to a graffiti report I made within just a couple of days. I was super impressed and thanked the COSA employee that was cleaning it up.

The overall look of the city as you come in is not very attractive. Weedy medians, overgrowth, no landscaping/xeriscaping in most areas. The areas that are done, though, look beautiful! I wish they'd do more. City pride can go a long way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 04:32 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times
I just don't see litter in my area. Of course, I live on the Northside. There IS tagging here and there. I remember going to Rome, Italy a couple years back and I was SHOCKED at the amount of graffiti EVERYWHERE. Nice areas, poor areas, everywhere except on the historical spots! I remember seeing a large amount of graffiti throughout Europe, as a matter of fact. Except Sweden, which was immaculate.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM

19 posts, read 40,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
When i was scavenging forums like this doing my research on the city before moving here, litter and graffiti were mentioned a lot. I was seriously expecting to see swaths of litter and graffiti everywhere the second I stepped off the plane...that was not the case.
From reading a few of the posts in this thread, I understand what you mean. The amount of hyperbole and over dramatic sensationalism is comical.

It reminds me of this: clean up your room

Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
When i was scavenging forums like this doing my research on the city before moving here, litter and graffiti were mentioned a lot. I was seriously expecting to see swaths of litter and graffiti everywhere the second I stepped off the plane...that was not the case. I'm not denying there's no litter because there definitely is and it is an ugly problem, I just think some are blowing it a little out of proportion. To answer the original question, SA is not all that clean, as some parts are spotless while others look like a trashcan. Does the city do litter patrol? If so, how often? Something as simple as cleaning up litter and graffiti and keeping it away would make the city look 10x better.
You've said basically what everyone else has said.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Great Post!

Hilarious!!!! Could it get more acrimonious Trapperkeeper? Trash!!! Celebrate!
I got off the plane in San Antonio after reading this thread about the trash in the streets in San Antonio and expected New Delhi.
Detroit has an estimated 40,00 feral dog population.
San Antonio is dry cleaned. Poopy diapers tossed in the San Antonio River or not. The city Zoo washes its' stalls into the River already anyway.
Monkey doo ....I believe there wasn't enough room for a treatment plant anywhere nearby or something. Somebody needs to fix that.
Some things never change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperkeeper View Post
From reading a few of the posts in this thread, I understand what you mean. The amount of hyperbole and over dramatic sensationalism is comical.

It reminds me of this: clean up your room

Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Hilarious!!!! Could it get more acrimonious Trapperkeeper? Trash!!! Celebrate!
I got off the plane in San Antonio after reading this thread about the trash in the streets in San Antonio and expected New Delhi.
Detroit has an estimated 40,00 feral dog population.
San Antonio is dry cleaned. Poopy diapers tossed in the San Antonio River or not. The city Zoo washes its' stalls into the River already anyway.
Monkey doo ....I believe there wasn't enough room for a treatment plant anywhere nearby or something. Somebody needs to fix that.
Some things never change.
Calm down. Everything is relative. Nobody is making statements that even resemble what you're talking about...New Delhi? Detroit? The OP asked the following question:

"Is San Antonio clean in your opinion?"

And opinions are what the OP received.

They're not going to all be the same and you're not going to agree with all of them, either...but there is a running theme: there is a litter and graffiti problem in many parts of the city.

That is a fact.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
According to Forbes.com "America's dirtiest cities" 2014.

" These cities suffer from high levels of ozone, sulfur dioxide, air-borne particulates &
tap water so polluted you can't drink it. This is the harsh, lung-searing, rash-inducing reality for millions of people in some of America's biggest cities. "

Fresno,Calif.
Bakersfield,Calif.
Philadelphia, Pa.
Bridgeport, Conn.
Modesto, Calif.
Riverside, Calif.
New Haven, Conn.
San Jose, Calif.
Stockton, Calif.
Milwaukee, Wi.
New York City
Sacramento, Calif.

Yes...it is !

Last edited by ranchodrive; 01-31-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Some of these posts and threads are much ado about nothing. That is what this reply is.
There is no controlling of everyone's habits and frame of mind. So what? You blind?

If you want to (1) see real urban blight and (2) have the resources, ? , Fly yourself to Detroit. Rent yourself a car, drive around within the city limits for one day, maybe two, come back and make some entries on how bad San Antonio is. Again. I have traveled all over and comparatively speaking S.A. is a very clean town. Sun bleached overpasses,a lot of newer construction, new parts of town. No industrial decay or smudged, stained soot stained or collapsed buildings.
No toxic pollution, no industrial waste sites, no run down and collapsed infrastructure being patched together from a non-existent taxbase. No abandoned factories right downtown, homelessness....
Potholes by the tens of thousands from climate extremes, rusted out automobiles filled with people searching for work.
Lots of sunshine , fresh air and warmth.
City economics won't even be mentioned.

For one of its' size it is very,very clean here... It is impossible to pick up after 2 million people all of the time ? In fact it is astonishingly clean for as many people as there are in it.
Some people here are as irresponsible as children, yes. So you will whine about it? San Antonio has many virtues, we are lucky. Most here are hardworking people, honest. This is the best of things. Industriousness.
Residents of San Antonio are fortunate, many do not know this fact. The whiners especially.
Icing of the cake here, is no State or City income taxes. Add that in.

So Detroit is the new baseline for what is clean and what is dirty? Everything better than Detroit is clean? That's like saying anything cooler than San Antonio in the summer is arctic.

Let's face it, opinions on this are obviously subjective. Clearly you have people on both sides of the fence on whether San Antonio is clean or dirty.

OP, glad we could be of help to you by collectively saying we have no idea if San Antonio is dirty or not. Come see for yourself.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 AM

Default Houston,

Houston stinks. Of hydrocarbon filth in its' air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
To the OP: no, it is not clean. Some parts are worse than others.

We came from Houston, a much larger city, yet it is far cleaner overall.

Trash on the roads (littering is huge here), and YES, diapers in parking lots (so gross!) at random shopping centers, and graffiti are common issues.

I live in a nice area, gated neighborhood, but every day my neighbor walks the common areas and picks up tons of trash both inside and outside of the gate. People are freaking slobs. What happened to Willie Nelson and "Don't Mess With Texas"?

I will say that COSA responded to a graffiti report I made within just a couple of days. I was super impressed and thanked the COSA employee that was cleaning it up.

The overall look of the city as you come in is not very attractive. Weedy medians, overgrowth, no landscaping/xeriscaping in most areas. The areas that are done, though, look beautiful! I wish they'd do more. City pride can go a long way...

Old 02-01-2014, 07:18 AM

Default All things are relative,

Yes , finally a rational answer. San Antonio is a very clean place. People whining about how bad it is
here are the guiltiest biggest atmosphere polluters.
Yes, someone has introduced some reality here, not just me, way to go Rancho. Lots of whiners here
on this thread. Course, your post will be ignored Rancho. No use in introducing facts here. Sulfur Dioxide huh?
Larger cities can be really bad. It is nearly pristine here. Parts of Chicago are really bad too. The scale is larger there. Make one mistake after dark, get off the wrong exit ramp and you would quickly realize
you ain't in San Antonio , anymore.
I am pleasantly surprised at Detroit's absence off of this list of the "America's Dirtiest Cities". Probably so because it has lost most of its' manufacturing now

I agree with the original poster here that is from New York... people here have not an idea of what real filth is. Let them go to New York or a Detroit. An awakening is needed. QUOTE=ranchodrive;33277069]According to Forbes.com "America's dirtiest cities" 2014.

" These cities suffer from high levels of ozone, sulfur dioxide, air-borne particulates &
tap water so polluted you can't drink it. This is the harsh, lung-searing, rash-inducing reality for millions of people in some of America's biggest cities. "

Fresno,Calif.
Bakersfield,Calif.
Philadelphia, Pa.
Bridgeport, Conn.
Modesto, Calif.
Riverside, Calif.
New Haven, Conn.
San Jose, Calif.
Stockton, Calif.
Milwaukee, Wi.
New York City
Sacramento, Calif.

Yes...it is ![/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio