Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times

Advertisements

With so many military here I thought this would be a good place to ask. I just finished up my advanced degree in mental health and wanted to take a look at jobs within the military community. Do you all know of any contractors that may have job listings within that field that are in San Antonio? I have no idea where to start outside of USAjobs.gov which has two open positions in the SA area at this point. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,313,921 times
Indeed.com has listing (I get so many, I don't pay attention any longer). CMMS offers services. Beware however; accepting contracting jobs is perilous. While you take 50% income, they get 50% just for signing you up. They don't notify you of many things, but say, we have two waiting for this same job... just to nickel and dime you out of more income or benefits. I've done it twice, never again.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:10 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,492,870 times
Serco occasionally has listings, but they'll show up in Indeed searches when they do. I have it set up so that Indeed sends me weekly emails with search results for the keywords of my choosing. In 2015, you can't work with Tricare unless your degree is from a CACREP-accredited school. Currently, there is a transition phase where those without a CACREP-accredited degree can qualify after passing NBCC's NCMHCE examination.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,372,810 times
USA Jobs will not help you find contracting jobs with the military. That site is only for hiring actual government employees. Many people have some confusing views of civilian work with the military. As a civilian, you essentially have two choices:

1. Department of Defense (DoD) Civilian Employee: Government employees, both appropriated fund, and non-appropriated fund, that work for and answer directly to the U.S. government. On the appropriated fund side, inside the U.S., this includes both General Schedule (GS) which are primarily white collar positions, and Wage Grade (WG) which are primarily blue collar positions.

2. Defense contractor: Private sector employees working for contracting firms. These employees answer first and foremost to their company and its shareholders, not the Government. There are many large companies that have a large number of DoD contracts. As a contractor, there are restrictions on certain actions that you can perform. Some examples are Booz Allen Hamilton, Calibre Systems, CM2Hill, L3, Lockheed, KBR, Parsons, URS, General Dynamics, MPRI, etc.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,397,700 times
Default Ashbeigh,

Congratulations are certainly due here Ashbeigh, so I do pass them along for your completion of the degree along with the - Best of luck with your present task and, stay here in S.A.
May you succeed- and aid those of us here, who may be troubled, troubled and need some help and guidance. You should be commended for your self-appointed task.

Who knows what good you may just do for somebody ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
With so many military here I thought this would be a good place to ask. I just finished up my advanced degree in mental health and wanted to take a look at jobs within the military community. Do you all know of any contractors that may have job listings within that field that are in San Antonio? I have no idea where to start outside of USAjobs.gov which has two open positions in the SA area at this point. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Indeed.com has listing (I get so many, I don't pay attention any longer). CMMS offers services.
I use Indeed everyday for all job listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Serco occasionally has listings, but they'll show up in Indeed searches when they do. I have it set up so that Indeed sends me weekly emails with search results for the keywords of my choosing. In 2015, you can't work with Tricare unless your degree is from a CACREP-accredited school. Currently, there is a transition phase where those without a CACREP-accredited degree can qualify after passing NBCC's NCMHCE examination.
Hmm. Interesting. I have seen Serco in the past and have applied for those positions. I may just not be hitting the right keywords. Human Resources is such a weird field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
USA Jobs will not help you find contracting jobs with the military. That site is only for hiring actual government employees. Many people have some confusing views of civilian work with the military. As a civilian, you essentially have two choices:

I was aware of those options and I understand the difference. I used USA Jobs as a starting point and an example. I wanted to see if anyoe had ay other options. Thanks for the explanation though.

Does anyone know of any other options?

Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,372,810 times
LinkedIn, Monster and the like usually has a fair number of leads for contracting jobs. I know CM2Hill has a lot going on at JBSA if their incessant emails are any indication.

The clarification wasn't directed primarily at you, there are many people, including career military members that don't understand the difference. That was more of a public service announcement.

Best wishes with your search. I usually get email announcements of career fairs on JBSA, and have friends that work specifically for MEDCOM. If I come across anything, I will shoot you a DM.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Thanks TxStrat. It's those like you've mentioned, CM2Hill and MEDCOM that I'm looking for. I have no idea where to even start or if this may even be an option since I'm not in IT (It looks like so many contractors do that and I haven't seen anything other than that in SA but I know they are there!). Yes, please DM me if you find out about any!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio