Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPetroff View Post
Thanks for sharing. Good to hear there are also some positive examples of how it is being used.
If say it is very effective in our neighborhood. We have over 400 members just in my own subdivision and it's very effective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,175 times
My neighborhood uses it and I find it to be useful.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,044,435 times
Works in our community, which is only a few years old. Not seeing "bickering", but find that when the police are in the area, a neighbor will post if they know what was going on...very important, even though there are other ways to find out what the police are doing in the area if an arrest or crime happens.

As far as privacy goes, if you are on here, or anywhere on the internet, don't worry about it...you are exposed and vulnerable--how vulnerable is unknown, so assume the worst.

If I know your name I can do a search on your county appraisal district property site and find your address. Public, open-source information. Much better to accept that you are never cyber-secure and try to control what you publish or view anywhere on cyberspace. Nextdoor is a harmless social network.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
Most of the people in the group have their picture posted. I think the whole point is to NOT be anonymous and "get to know " your neighbor since we live in such busy times and actually knowing the neighbors is not always going to happen right away. I haven't seen any bickering on ours but I'm sure it will happen.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:20 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
It's pretty active in Houston. I don't see why would be not popular in San Antonio.
Mostly neighbors sharing useful stuff about the neighborhood. Activities, warnings, helpful tips, sales, lost and found etc. It's a private forum.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:35 PM

21 posts, read 26,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
If say it is very effective in our neighborhood. We have over 400 members just in my own subdivision and it's very effective
That's quite a few members...more than I've seen from other neighborhoods!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,351,842 times
We have 370 members in our area and I just joined thanks to this thread. The information has been useful from what I have seen so far.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
That's quite a few members...more than I've seen from other neighborhoods!
Yeah, it's pretty active. I just looked at how many members we have total in Alamo Ranch (not just my subdivision) and we have almost 700 members. I like that we have the option to post things just to my subdivision or the entire Alamo Ranch development. We even have closed groups for our specific streets to help in coordinating block parties. It's pretty slick.

I love how everyone jumps to help their neighbors too. Need a tool or item you don't have and would only use it one time? Don't go buy it, ask neighbors on Nextdoor if they have one you can borrow. Did the hubby just have surgery and can't mow the lawn for two weeks? Ask for help on Nextdoor. We even have folks offering to help clean and organize others garages so we can put as many cars in them as possible to keep them off the streets and driveways. We also use it to alert others of suspicious persons/cars/activities. Find a dog that escaped his backyard? Post it on Nextdoor. Most try to catch our furbabies and keep them safe and fed until their humans find them. We've found a ton of uses for the site

Old 06-12-2015, 08:50 AM

21 posts, read 26,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
We have 370 members in our area and I just joined thanks to this thread. The information has been useful from what I have seen so far.
Awesome! Glad it worked out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
Yeah, it's pretty active. I just looked at how many members we have total in Alamo Ranch (not just my subdivision) and we have almost 700 members. I like that we have the option to post things just to my subdivision or the entire Alamo Ranch development. We even have closed groups for our specific streets to help in coordinating block parties. It's pretty slick.

I love how everyone jumps to help their neighbors too. Need a tool or item you don't have and would only use it one time? Don't go buy it, ask neighbors on Nextdoor if they have one you can borrow. Did the hubby just have surgery and can't mow the lawn for two weeks? Ask for help on Nextdoor. We even have folks offering to help clean and organize others garages so we can put as many cars in them as possible to keep them off the streets and driveways. We also use it to alert others of suspicious persons/cars/activities. Find a dog that escaped his backyard? Post it on Nextdoor. Most try to catch our furbabies and keep them safe and fed until their humans find them. We've found a ton of uses for the site
Thanks for the feedback! Lots of cool features. Hopefully they don't muddy it up with a bunch of revenue-generating ads/sponsored links, etc.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Glad it worked out!

Thanks for the feedback! Lots of cool features. Hopefully they don't muddy it up with a bunch of revenue-generating ads/sponsored links, etc.
I hope so too. So far none of that is happening and they have a pretty strict privacy policy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio