Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:50 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,789,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
City Manager Sheryl Sculley has ordered the Police Department to devote officer manpower to a sweep of homeless people near her luxury downtown condominium, according to police records obtained by the Express-News.
More here: City Manager Sheryl Sculley ordered police to clear homeless from near her luxury condo, emails show - San Antonio Express-News

Stuff like this makes me loose faith in politicians. I never really had an issue with Sculley until now. This looks like abuse of her position to devote police resources to her own benefit.

Can the mods fix the headline? There is a typo and the word should read "homeless", not homess".

Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,247,892 times
Technically, the City Manager isn't a "politician", as she is not elected, but serves at the will of the Mayor and City Council.

FWIW, Jeff Coyle, of the city's Government and Public Affairs Department, disputes the Express-News' report that the City Manager ordered a homeless sweep for her benefit. He says she acted on behalf of downtown stakeholders, and that police stepped-up enforcement of panhandling and illegal camping ordinances, according to a report aired on KENS-TV.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
As the article explains quite plainly, Haven for Hope was built to get the homeless population moved out of downtown, as that was a prerequisite for upscale downtown development.

If you like having nice things downtown, you need to understand it was made possible by the fact that there's not nearly as much doorway camping and panhandling downtown as there was 15 years ago.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
I'd like her to act in the interest and enforcement of panhandling along 410 between Babcock and Ingram. I understand a bit of it is in Leon Valley proper (which may explain part of it) but there are wheelchairs, bags, clothing, trash, etc. all over the immeidate area of 410 in the area. I may not be paying $1500/mnth for an apartment downtown, but I'd like to have these people "swept" too. I just don't have the ability to call up the police chief and ask for it to happen.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,659 times
It's just pretty ironic that she is tasking the SAPD to remove homeless from her building while she is simultaneously attacking their pay and benefits in contract negotiations. She must be pretty tone deaf to not recognize this presents an appearance of impropriety or unethical behavior.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,789,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
As the article explains quite plainly, Haven for Hope was built to get the homeless population moved out of downtown, as that was a prerequisite for upscale downtown development.

If you like having nice things downtown, you need to understand it was made possible by the fact that there's not nearly as much doorway camping and panhandling downtown as there was 15 years ago.
I didn't see any mention of 'Haven for Hope' in the article that I linked.

Here is another quote from the article though:

Quote:
A Sept. 7 weekly bulletin from the department's Central Substation told officers they have been "tasked with monitoring and clearing the homeless from the City Manager’s residence and surrounding areas."

The bulletin stated that officers are sweeping the area "every Monday through Friday until further notice.”
If the bulletin states specifically that the police are tasked with monitoring and clearing from the City Manager's residence and surrounding areas, then that seems like self serving interest and not the downtown area in general.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:38 AM

288 posts, read 363,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
It's just pretty ironic that she is tasking the SAPD to remove homeless from her building while she is simultaneously attacking their pay and benefits in contract negotiations. She must be pretty tone deaf to not recognize this presents an appearance of impropriety or unethical behavior.
Regardless of the situation between SAPD, SAFD and the City Manager, she is still their boss. And she's attacking their pay and benefits because they are out of line with what other PD and FD officers make as well as with what other regular city employees make. Their pay and benefits are consuming an ever increasing part of the City budget when other departments are requiring additional cuts every year.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post
Regardless of the situation between SAPD, SAFD and the City Manager, she is still their boss. And she's attacking their pay and benefits because they are out of line with what other PD and FD officers make as well as with what other regular city employees make. Their pay and benefits are consuming an ever increasing part of the City budget when other departments are requiring additional cuts every year.

They are no more out of line with pay and benefits across the state than her salary. $250K per annum, until this past January when it increased to $400K (base salary). Add to that the bonuses of $65K a year, and other perks, and she's bringing in around $486K a year. Compare that to other city managers in the state and get back to us with your analysis.

Last edited by TXStrat; 09-15-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I didn't see any mention of 'Haven for Hope' in the article that I linked.
It's in this version:

Quote:
Haven for Hope, which is west of the downtown area, opened in 2010, with the promise that it would alleviate the city’s chronic homelessness problem. Homeless advocates often argue, however, that some homeless people choose not to go to Haven, and that the city is pushing too hard to divert the homeless out of the sight of downtown tourists.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 AM

424 posts, read 610,442 times
LOL

This is some typical Fox News crap.

That the smallest of potential moll hills and blow it up into something incredibly big and beat it like a drum over and over again.

This is a none issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio